Weight Loss with Type 1

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all

OK I dont know why I am being very self concious and nervous posting this as non of you know me - well i dont think anyway :D

My diet and exercise has been pretty bad for the last few years and as a consequence I have put on a little bit of weight :oops:

I don't look it but my BMI at last check was around 28 :shock: and I have come to the decision I need to loose weight (although wouldnt mind swapping the fat for a little bit of muscle :D ) and be able to fit into clothes I was able to get into 2 years back...

Unfortunately everytime I mention it at home my hubby comes out with all the nice things (but not very helpful) about me looking good to him etc so I was considering joining some form of club like weight watchers...

I have searched (or tried to) the forums for more info etc but not found anything i could use to help me make my decision (it's probably there however i saw hundreds of posts with "weight watchers" and i didnt know where to start looking)

I was hoping someone here could help me make my decision... Is it worth paying the astranomical monthly prices to try to loose weight?? Any T1's who have joined and found it has worked for them? Obviously being T1 I dont want to join if it would be of no use to me with having diabetes :)

Janet xx

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
My own personal view is that no club can provide you with will power, and it's easy to be sensible about what to eat. So I have lost 2sone jus by going to the gym and being sensible, I have told friends I'm losing weight as it's supposed to help my diabetes so I have support from them and I have motivation as I want to beat Roxy's weight loss each week! The people at the gym are helpful too, my BMI is no longer obese so the weight loss is slowing a bit now but as long as it still goes I'm in no hurry, as I've said many a time before it's not how quickly you lose it it's how long you keep it off.

Anyway, save the money see if you have the willpower and support, you can always join a group later if it doesn't work out on your own, but start now and see how it goes.

Louwalker71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have managed to lose over 3 stones over the last 2 years and it is due to:-

1. Going on the DAFNE course and since reducing my insulin doses significantly. As you have to carb count it also makes you think about everything you eat.

2. Buying a dog - 2 x 20-30mins a day and the weight started falling off me without really trying

3. Once I got fitter I decided to try running - I am not and never have been a runner - I downloaded a series of podcasts from the NHS website called couch to 5k. I followed it, run a 5k sponsored run at the end and now run 5k three times a week

4. I have also been a member of weight watchers for about 5 months - it's a good, easy to follow diet and I think, perfectly suitable for T1s

Don't get me wrong, I'm still overweight (size 16) but much better than the size 20 that I used to be and I feel SO MUCH better!

Hope that helps xx

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I havent done a dafne course however I have been carb counting and adjusting insulin accordingly since i was diagnoses 23 years ago (was even complained at 1x at the docs about 10years after diagnosis because they no longer required you to carb count as I was doing) - on a pump now so it's essential im carb counting :)

Have a dog, unfortunately my hubby doesnt like me going out on my own to walk him (we have some dubious characters about) and since 1 of us has to stay home and look after the kids it's awkward us all going :(

running... i tried it 1x lol for about a week BUT i have seen links for the couch to 5k... may actually take a look at it :)

i was just thinking weight watchers as I am on my own, my hubby doesnt think i need to loose weight and therefore when he makes the food it's not what i would choose plus portion size is HUGE (i think he'd pay more attention if he's paying for something like weight watchers ;) ) i dont have any "close" friends near by to support me and my parents think dieting is a silly past time (my dad is an obese diabetic - the docs have no idea which type he is as they keep changing from t1 to t2 - he has a few diabetic complications with his eyes and almost end stage kidney damage or whatever it is - he says the damage has already been done so doesnt care about damage control)

Im a size 14, but would love to get back to size 10 :)

Gappy - I hear what your saying :) I have the willpower however the thought of gym's scares the living daylights outta me :) i do do a lot more exercise now ive gone back to work than i did before, such as hiking 6 flights of steps to get to my desk then when going to the loo, using the 1 on the floor below me (although prob only doing this as the loo on my floor im sure is haunted :D )

I aint bothered with how quick i can loose the weight, i believe the "safe" amount for me is about 1lb a week which I would be more than happy with :) I personally agree with you about the not how quick you loose it :)

I think I'm going to research on the internet to see if I can find some info etc - not sure my hubby would be happy with this but may need to start doing the food myself so i can give myself a smaller portion and calc carbs in it :) shame weight watchers dont give a free trial!!!!

iHs

Hi

I started to drink low fat UHT 0.1% fat carton milk in an attempt to get my cholestrol level to come down a bit. Not only has it helped lower my cholestrol from 4.7 down to 4.4 but is has also decreased my triglyceride level from 0.86 to now just 0.28. I buy the milk in 1ltr cartons and dilute it with the same amount of cold water. Tastes ok in tea and coffee.

My weight is also dropping with a loss of about 1kg every 7-10 days. I'm now down to 50kgs. My carb intake is more or less the same as it was when I used bolus/basal.

Just goes to show really that with some subtle alterations to what we eat, we can lose weight and get our cholestrol level to drop.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dragonfly

Rosemary Conley is also a good club to join as you also get 45 minutes of aerobics in the cost of the class. They also do extra exercise classes only in the week as well, if you want to do more. I don't know if they do that sort of thing in your area, but not being diabetic myself (my son is), I just need to lose about a stone (I seem to get to a stone overweight which takes me a good 2 years I might add, then I go back to the classes again to lose it. I don't have any willpower, I always need the push. :wink:

josie38

Hi,

If you are thinking of weightwatchers maybe you should go because you may make friends who will give you support. My husband went to weight watchers and lost 3 stone. The cookbooks are really good. I bought a a curry one and the were tasty. Try looking at weightwatchers online first and see if it is suitable for you. I think that you could with a group weight loss because it sounds as though you need the support from it.

Hope all goes well :D :D :D

Keep the updates coming :D :D :D :D

Josie

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi just an update...

I did decide I would give weight watchers a go but my hubby lost his job :( so now all forms of weight loss are going to get put on hold as can't afford a very healthy diet at the moment, living of pasta because we can get it for about 20p a bag :lol:

Once he's back in work I think I may give it a go :)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Not all forms of weight loss need to be put on hold, portion control and making healthier choices is sometimes cheaper. Certainly not buying "treats" or having a pudding (not often you actually need a pudding after dinner after all is it!) is a good start and makes things that bit easier for when you can start "properly"