weight loss

travism99

Alright guys, this is my firast post so I'll start off by saying hello, my name is Travis and I have Type One Diabetes, diagnosed 6 years ago while I was serving in the US Army in Iraq...fun right? Anyway, diagnosis followed by depression, unhealthy eating and lack of working out left me in a sorry state. I was afraid to workout after a hypo while jogging when the paramedics found me. I let myself go for two or three years gaining pounds every year until I realised I was going to be a dad. Then I gave myself a kick up the rear end and learned what I could, got advice from several professional sports stars including Steve Redgrave on working out the healthy way. I spent 90 days on a safe weight loss programme and healthy eating plan. The results have made me morwe than pleased. I went from and unhealthy 280lbs to a slighty less unhealthy 230lbs in 3 months.]

beginningtocurrent-1.jpg

I thought that being heavy and unfit was part and parcel of being diabetic but I was wrong. Now I'm starting my 90 days over again aiming for a solid 200- 210lbs by my birthday on the 2nd of July. I'm proof it can be done. And I'm going it again but this time as a sponsored weight loss for Diabetes.co.uk. Wish me luck.

-t

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats an inspiring story.
It would be great if you could write some details of your 90 day regime, it might help others.
Good luck for the next 90 days.

travism99

Happily done, I used a workout programe called p90x but heavily modified with the eating plan. It takes ALOT of work and a desire to change but it can be done. I worked six days a week for 45minutes to an hour and 15 minutes a day (not too much). Muscular and cardio and one day of what I thought was the best thing ever Yoga!!!!

My diet was hard to keep going until I found an App for my smart phone called calorie counter by www.fatsecret.com which has the nutritional information on just about ALL food including Carbs!!!! Imagine how good that is to be able to go to MANY favorite resturants or major supermarkets and have all the meals already on the app and able to ACCURATELY calculate the carb count in each! Was a god send truely. I kept myself at a HEALTHY 2100 calories a day with %60 of calories from protien, %30 from Carbohydrates, %10 from healthy fats. Calorie Counter is a FREE app and I HIGHLY think any diabetic with a smart phone should download it. With it and nmy diet my sugar went from a standard of 8.5-9.5 on my A1C to 6.5-7.0.

Working out while diabetic was hard though, I had to be SOOO careful about hypos. I checked my sugar 30 minutes prior to a workout and it it was under 7 mmol/L I ate a couple of dextros tablets. I also drank a 50/50 mix of Orange Juice and Water while working out to keep my sugar from bottoming while I burned calories. I also checked my sugar during and after each workout and another check an hour after the workout just to be sure. IF you are doing a workout routine of course check with your doctor because I had some bad hypos at Night until I got switched to Levemir long acting insulin for my night injections.

The workout:
Was 90 days, broken into Phases. I suggest checking out p90x if you want to but if you want the rules on weight loss are easy. Eat less, move more. But by less I mean a healthy less, not like 800 calories a day (nonsense!) which would cause you to go into SRM or Starvation Response Mode, where your body stores the food you eat as Fat to keep you going if you run out. It's natural and the reason you see people eating 800-1000 calories a day and not lose fat, they are burning off muscle (lean body mass), not fat. I have a non-p90x workout I do if you like boxing cardio but p90x is designed to make you lose weight, gain muscle and look and feel great. I suggest you get a copy any way you can...

-T

micalhassi

Great effort done by you. Weight is the main cause of many diseases. I think if you are over weight before diabetes then only weight is the cause of this type of diabetes. Unhealthy eating, Improper rest, depression, stress these are also the main factors for diabetes. Weight can be loss by doing different ways like exercise work out, eating in normal level, use a perfect diet plan.