weight loss

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i'm new on here so not really sure where i should post this question,sorry guys , but i'm looking for an easy to follow diet for type 1. Diabetes dietitians don't give out dietary advice anymore, they only help with insulin adjustments as people find their own diets. I work 12 hour shifts so need to eat little and often. I've been counting cals but its so much hassle . Please help !! :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Easy to follow" is, of course, subjective.

Personally, I find it easy to follow a low-carb diet (although I also count calories as well).

As a type 1, I find it particularly beneficial as it also greatly reduces my insulin needs. That's especially helpful during the workday when I'm not in the comforts of my own home and can't freely inject whenever and wherever I want.

It's also fairly difficult to GAIN weight on the diet which can be a good thing for those occasional days when I feel hungry and eat more than my daily calorie limit.

Reactions: 2 people

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Easy to follow" is, of course, subjective.

Personally, I find it easy to follow a low-carb diet (although I also count calories as well).

As a type 1, I find it particularly beneficial as it also greatly reduces my insulin needs. That's especially helpful during the workday when I'm not in the comforts of my own home and can't freely inject whenever and wherever I want.

It's also fairly difficult to GAIN weight on the diet which can be a good thing for those occasional days when I feel hungry and eat more than my daily calorie limit.
Thanks, i do eat pretty healthly and not putting on weight , just want to lose it . I will look into the low carb ones :/

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have quite a bit of weight to lose, or are you trying to lose a few pounds for the upcoming beach season?

The foundational approach for both is the same. However, if you have quite a bit to lose, you don't have to be as precise with your calorie counting.

I'm currently trying to lose a few pounds myself for beach season and so far it's been extremely effective.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, i do eat pretty healthly and not putting on weight , just want to lose it . I will look into the low carb ones :/

Obvious but if you do choose to reduce your carbs, you'll also have to adjust your insulin so be careful and seek advice if you're at all unsure.

It might help you to keep a week's worth of food intake to see if there's anywhere that you can trim off some carbs and/or calories.

How many carbs a day do you usually eat?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat little and often and low carb. Things you can take with you are hard boiled eggs, salads with protein made the night before , canned fish, meats and cheese if you can do dairy but dairy can tend to stall weight loss in lots of people. Nuts and seeds. Guacamole and celery. Large lettuce leaves with deli meats and a few veggies like tomato , scallion onion etc. topped with fat like Evoo or mayo. Raw veggies and dip.

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have quite a bit of weight to lose, or are you trying to lose a few pounds for the upcoming beach season?

The foundational approach for both is the same. However, if you have quite a bit to lose, you don't have to be as precise with your calorie counting.

I'm currently trying to lose a few pounds myself for beach season and so far it's been extremely effective.
Yes ,I want to lose a stone, i have'nt been too precise with my cal counting . My diabetes nurse said i'd lose weight on 1500 but maybe i should reduce it to 1200. Obviously i reduce my insulin to counteract this ,but im still a bit confused as to why my blood sugar goes up after exercise if its above 10 and down if its below ?

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat little and often and low carb. Things you can take with you are hard boiled eggs, salads with protein made the night before , canned fish, meats and cheese if you can do dairy but dairy can tend to stall weight loss in lots of people. Nuts and seeds. Guacamole and celery. Large lettuce leaves with deli meats and a few veggies like tomato , scallion onion etc. topped with fat like Evoo or mayo. Raw veggies and dip.
Thank you , great advice

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obvious but if you do choose to reduce your carbs, you'll also have to adjust your insulin so be careful and seek advice if you're at all unsure.

It might help you to keep a week's worth of food intake to see if there's anywhere that you can trim off some carbs and/or calories.

How many carbs a day do you usually eat?
Thanks, carbs vary really , depending on what i fancy :) but approx 120g

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, carbs vary really , depending on what i fancy :) but approx 120g

Ok :) That certainly doesn't sound excessive. Some people eat that number and consider themselves to be low carbing.

I personally eat around 180g per day, but like you it varies.

If it was me I'd go slowly, trimming away a few carbs here and there and replacing less healthier choices with healthier ones.

If the weight has crept on for no obvious reason, you might also consider having a thyroid test just to make sure there's no medical reason.

I'm a big fan of walking. Just increasing my walking per day improves my insulin sensitivity and let's me reduce my doses slightly :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes ,I want to lose a stone, i have'nt been too precise with my cal counting . My diabetes nurse said i'd lose weight on 1500 but maybe i should reduce it to 1200. Obviously i reduce my insulin to counteract this ,but im still a bit confused as to why my blood sugar goes up after exercise if its above 10 and down if its below ?
Certain types of exercise can cause temporary hyperglycemia as our bodies begin to dump the stored glycogen in our livers. However, I've never encountered issues where my levels rise/fall solely based on where they started before exercise. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but hopefully someone else can chime in that knows more about that issue.

As far as your daily caloric intake, 1500 calories may be too much or too little depending on your situation. For a 70 year old female with a sedentary lifestyle that might be too much. For someone like me, that's way too little (I can burn as much as 3500 calories a day).

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok :) That certainly doesn't sound excessive. Some people eat that number and consider themselves to be low carbing.

I personally eat around 180g per day, but like you it varies.

If it was me I'd go slowly, trimming away a few carbs here and there and replacing less healthier choices with healthier ones.

If the weight has crept on for no obvious reason, you might also consider having a thyroid test just to make sure there's no medical reason.

I'm a big fan of walking. Just increasing my walking per day improves my insulin sensitivity and let's me reduce my doses slightly :)
Thanks, my weight actually stays pretty much the same but as i'm a stone overweight i've decided to finally do something about it . I'm going to increase my walking too , Thyroid is fine , but thanks for suggesting it x

Reactions: 2 people

vikoliver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Certain types of exercise can cause temporary hyperglycemia as our bodies begin to dump the stored glycogen in our livers. However, I've never encountered issues where my levels rise/fall solely based on where they started before exercise. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but hopefully someone else can chime in that knows more about that issue.

As far as your daily caloric intake, 1500 calories may be too much or too little depending on your situation. For a 70 year old female with a sedentary lifestyle that might be too much. For someone like me, that's way too little (I can burn as much as 3500 calories a day).
Ok, thanks for the info

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Not everyone may agree but I always say to think carbs not calories. As fat has twice the calories of carbs you can greatly reduce calories by reducing fats but you might still be having too many carbs which will influence blood sugar and weight. Reduce the carbs in your diet and use the meter to check by how much.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs effect my weight far more than fat. I low carb, moderate protein and moderate normal amounts of fat.

All exrecise raises my bs and it's annoying. Then I require insulin to bring it down and I'm fluctuating all over the place with no rhyme or reason. I know exercise has lots if benefits and certainly worked better when I was T2. Slow to moderate always brought it down but higher intensity raised it at least I knew what it would do and didn't fear hypos. Now I do and I'm not sure all that fluctuation makes it healthy anymore. It might be good cardiovascularly but not diabeticly. I hope someone can explain it in terms of how fluctuating bs would make exercise healthy. For the time being I stopped playing that game and just stay active