weight watchers

gizmogirl

Hi guys :D

Im newbie Diabetic type 2 diet and exercise :shock:
thinking about starting Weight watchers is the a good diet if your a Diabetic?

thanks Sal x

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sal,
When I see the advert and they say you can have what you like as long as you don't exceed your points quota and then show you chocolate cake I really don't know.
Perhaps someone who uses this plan will be along soon.

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I tried WW and all I lost were £s. It's essentially a low fat/low cal plan. I have met people who say you can adapt it, but I'm sceptical. You'd probably need a LOT of knowledge, because as far as I remember they don't like you to control carbs. The points are essentially 50calories each. Just look at the nutrition panel on any of their products.
Sal I would try Low Gi or low carb first. Either will help Blood sugar control as well as weight.
Hana

Wendyanne

Dislikes
Not being able to eat milk chocolate any more
Hi Sal,

My older sister joined WW last July and then went to the Dr's two weeks later about a back problem and so the Dr ran some tests and that is when she found out she had Type2 Diabetes,with a fasting glucose of 12 and a HBa1c of 9.2.She was put onto 1x500 Metformin and also went on a Desmond course to learn all she could about the Disease.

Anyway,since she started WW all that time ago she has lost 51lb in weight and has recently been taken off of the Metformin as her last HBa1C was down to 5.5 I think she said.

My sister followed the WW diet which included pasta,potoatoes,rice,porridge etc and weighed and calculated all the foods that she was allowed to eat through the points system.She also bought a Trampette{From Tesco's £19}plus an exercise bike and both of these helped to get the weight off as well as the meds and diet.They even asked her to be a counciler,but she declined due to other commitments.

I was diagnosed Type 2 in January of this year and am following a low GI diet,plus on 2x500 Metformin,Trampette work,walking,cycling,and following Rosemary Conley's Fitness videos.So far have lost two stone and have my next HbA1c in two weeks time so hoping to have got my levels down a bit

I prefer,myself Rosemary Conley as she does several different diets,plus has an exercise routine added in.I don't go to any of her classes but follow her website plus have some of her videos,books and magazines.

Good luck with whatever you choose...Wendy

Dippy3103

Hi
I have been following ww and have lost nearly 3 stone since Christmas. I found it pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I am thinking of trying the Slimming world diet at the moment as most things that are ok for me to eat are free to eat on the diet (ie, lean meat and all veg) I am thinking it will need less tweaking than the WW which I have also tried.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Amanda Hugankiss said:
I am thinking of trying the Slimming world diet at the moment as most things that are ok for me to eat are free to eat on the diet (ie, lean meat and all veg) I am thinking it will need less tweaking than the WW which I have also tried.

Hi Amanda,

My wife joined Slimming World 2 years ago and lost 3 stone, although she doesn't have diabetes, there was a guy on the course who was type 1, and lost over 5 stone in weight. The lady that ran the club said that the diet was suitable for people with diabetes, and they can work closely with people with various dietary needs. As you have said, the diet advocates good healthy foods such as fruit, vegetables and lean meats, so can't be to bad. Talk to the course coordinator first and make them aware of your condition.

Nigel

Jaxx

Hi Sal

I'm type 1 and had no trouble at all losing weight with Weight Watchers. It's as flexible as you want it to be where food choices are concerned and there was no conflict at all with my diabetes regime.

Yes, it does cost money, but the weekly meetings and weigh-ins help to keep one on the 'straight and narrow' and it's a good educational tool too for normal healthy eating. You can also do it online if you prefer.

Whatever you choose to do .... good luck!!

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I have the OLD ww book and I find it really good, it's the one I always go to , but, like any "diet" it's having the willpower to stay on it that's the problem. I can't be doing with any eating programme that says I can eat sweet stuffs whenever - I don't need any encouragement!

This is the biggest headache for me, constantly aware that I need to lose weight! :evil:

As far as going to ww meetings, it's okay if you have someone to go with but went two or three times on my own and as people had their companions with them, nobody wanted to speak or be friendly, plus the weight losses were read out by surnames in alphabetical order which meant that as mine was in the T's the majority of people had got up and gone by then!!! :(

mrsmousemat

I used to do the weighing in at WeightWatchers many years ago.

And I think that the thing that helps with slimming clubs is being with others in the same boat.

And the weekly weigh in. Especially if you go with annoying friends who consistently lose weight every week.

The slimming diets that work all seem to have the usual suspects - oily fish, cottage cheese, chicken loads of fruit and veg , Desperate Dan Cow Pies (oops sorry - not the last one, of course - just testing.)

What I meant to write of course was Popeye's Spinach ...

So really any well known supervised slimming club is ok, providing you do the pick and mix from their favoured foods, according to your own way of eating. I would say that I never noticed anyone who took up exercise to lose weight quicker. But then you apparently have to walk 13miles before losing a doughnut's worth of food.

It's not to say that I disagree with exercise - in fact I think it's an excellent hobby, that I intend to get around to as soon as I am supplied with a housekeeper, gardener, cleaner and personal fitness trainer.

The thing that I noticed at the weighing was that the people that lose weight fast usually are the ones to put it on again - fast. So don't be upset if you don't lose massive lots of weight every week.

From my experience, forget the chocolate cake - if your weak point is chocolate.
Can you just have one from the box? Er no? Neither can I. Inhuman.

Everyone has triggers that start them off on binges.... Mostly it seems to be cheese and chocolate. Or alcohol.

So I think that it is best to give your trigger a wide berth. Because you will succumb unless you have a brave and willing partner willing to throw himself/herself in the teeth of your eating path.

Better still for partnership harmony - ban the trigger from the house, as it seems a bit inconsiderate to ban the partner.

I seem to remember that several years ago, around 92percent of slimming club members were back up to their former weights within one or two years - can't remember which. But WW's stats were slightly better than this.

IMO: It's easier to lose the weight than to keep it off. I kept mine off (within around half a stone) for around 20 years. But then I had another baby ..... sigh.
You know the story...

Anyway I hope this helps.
Good luck.