Weight

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm pretty new to diabetes so forgive me if I sound a bit stupid. I need to put on weight, I've lost a lot since getting diabetes and my weight is now 7st 5 which is underweight. Normally I'd just eat carbs and sugar but I know that will make me ill. How can I put on weight quickly and safely as T1 diabetic? Everything I've read on this forum has said that insulin causes weight gain, but I'm still losing and it's got me a bit worried, if anyone has any advice?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
see your nurse for help with setting it up. if you jab for the right amount of carbs, you should be fine...if you want to gain weight/flesh/muscle eat more. carbs 50% protien 25% fat 25% might be good for bulking up
I use this free program to keep track
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

if you feel you are already eating a lot, you could ask if they have checked your thyroid with the blood tests they have done

also be prepared for the what seems the common "OMG I'm fat" reaction when you do get some health weight on. it takes a while to get use to the new healthy you

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't work out my carbs, I'm on humulin M3 will this make a difference?

I don't think I'll get the "I'm fat" thing, I'm not worried about it. I want to put weight on I'm athletic and want to be bigger and healthier.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't even start to advise you on meds, I'm a clueless T2. They will probably arrange a program to go on, to learn how to adjust your doses and carb count.
ask the nurse about training, also the nurse will help you sort out your doses and she may get you to see the dietitian to help with what to eat.

this is an overview of Humulin M3, you may already have it but it may help with what the nurse will be saying
https://www.lillypro.co.uk/diabetes/hcps/downloads/UKHML00057b Humulin M3 Booklet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: