Weird injection problem

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I've been using insulin for the past 2 and a half months and am doing ok-ish with the injections. I bruise easy and oftentimes bleed a bit, but usually I manage it alright. Today however I had a bit of a strange problem with injecting. I was using Humalog and injecting into the top front of my leg. I left it in for the requisite time, but when I withdrew the needle a bead of blood formed, followed by oozing liquid (gross!). I ran my finger over it, and it was definitely insulin so I reinjected a small amount into my other leg.

My question is, what did I do wrong to make the insulin ooze out like that? I don't think I'm the best at this, but are there any tips to insure that this isn't repeated?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Becca.

I am not on Insulin but I inject Byetta. Therefore the procedure should be the same.

When injecting are you pinching the flesh where you inject ? I do and also inject at a 45 deg angle.
This is so that when you remove the needle and release the pinched flesh, the holes do not then line up as they would if you injected in a straight line down into the flesh. This prevents 'splash back' and ensures you get the full dose.

You obviously hit a small blood vessel or perhaps even injected into the muscle, neither of which should happen if you use the technique described.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Becca,
Sounds like, as previous poster stated, that you hit a blood vessel, I've had it happen quite a few times over the years. I'd be wary of injecting further insulin, allthough it may look lika a HUGE leak of insulin,but it's prob just a trickle. I often end up with a bruise when I bleed after a injection,but it's really nothing to be concerned about. Just the same as an injection can sometimes be painful, it doesn't mean that every injection will be so.
However I do find it more painful to inject during the time of my period,but then everything's wrong at that time, BG, hair, etc...... :cry:
It's very early days for you, you'll soon get used to all the niggles associated with injecting. :)
Have you had advice from your doctor about how and where you should be injecting? What size needles are you using? It may also help to inject at a slight angle.
Jus

NickW

As has been said above, I'd be wary of injecting extra insulin if you have any leakage, as the amount you lost is probably smaller than you might imagine (the same way that when you spill some water it looks like there's more there than there actually is).

Pinching the fat and injecting at an angle both help make the injections more comfortable and you're less likely to have this happen, but it's not a guarantee; you can take as much care as possible and you still might hit a small blood vessel or a small amount of leakage (though it should stop you hitting the muscle). I was also shown a technique when I was first diagnosed where as soon as you withdraw the needle, you drag the skin to one side for a few seconds; the theory being the same as cugila explains, to "block" the hole and stop anything leaking out. I personally didn't find it worked well, but you might get on better with it.

Personally I find that I bleed more often when I inject in the front of my thighs compared to the abdomen, but it's not enough of a worry to stop me injecting there (I inject my fast-acting in the abdomen and slow-acting in the thigh).

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for these replies! They're very reassuring.

I use microfine needles (8mm) for the injections, but haven't been doing them at an angle, which sounds very helpful - avoiding 'splashback'! I usually do pinch the flesh around the injection site, but this time I was being lazy (watching SVU with a TV dinner) and didn't bother. I'll makes sure I do in the future.

Does anyone find they have a 'sore' side? My right side seems to take objection to needles and poking - that's not to say it gets away with it.

Thanks again - this forum is great!