Type 2 Weird Stuff

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well as said in an earlier post my DN said I was "No longer in the diabetic range"....... at my last checkup in Jan....(see sig for results)

So all was good and I just carried on as I was with LCHF.... with the weight still going down....and my bloods pretty much spot on at 5.0- 5.5 ........

But I have had 2 different weird things happen over the last month.....

But unsure whether they are related.......??

1) Upon waking on several mornings I have felt awful sort of internally shaking is the only way I can describe it....

I googled it and most results said it was quite common and could be Anxiety related and I definitely have been very stressed out over the last month ( scored high in the GAD7 test and the depression one, sorry cant remember the name)

or could it be diabetes related, should of tested but had brain fog...

2) Was on a course at the weekend (very stressful) and felt rough when I got home after a 12 hour day, and when I tested I was 3.7.. it has not happened since...

Which was weird as they supplied food so I had not eaten low carb that day...... actually probably quite high carb... about 4-5 hours before I got home........

So googled again and reactive hypoglycemia came up a lot........

So any thoughts

Are they linked ?

I know you are not supposed to be able to hypo on Metformin , but I am still on 4 pills a day should I be taking less...(as have lost 3 stone +)

Trying to see the doc but they are fully booked for weeks....

Pretty miffed off... thought I had this disease sorted....

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Jade,
If you look at my signature box below, you can read all about reactive hypoglycaemia, which I think the middle link will give you what to look for.
There is always a chance that you have had RH, as I was misdiagnosed.
The only way to find out is by hospital tests.
If you have only a couple of lows that low, I doubt if you have.
You most certainly can have hypos on metformin, that is absolute b.s.!

If you have normal fasting bloods, that is normal for those who have decreased their levels in T2 and RH. Especially after a period of low carbing.

You said you had your low but you ate carbs, I may be wrong but that could have been your body reacting to the change in diet, the stress, the upheaval of being away.
I'm not sure.
You could try doing a glucose test and see what happens after your spike, without eating., but be careful how you do it, it should be done by medical staff supervising.

Just to put your head in total disarray, you can have T2 and RH!

Have a read and ask more questions.

Hope this helps.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was having lots of hypos on Metformin and once I stopped taking them the hypos stopped as well. It might be worth discussing reducing your meds with your Dr.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both , will see what the doc says..... personally I think its the Metformin as 4 pills with a HbA1c of 44 seems too high to me...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It definitely is!
Thanks both , will see what the doc says..... personally I think its the Metformin as 4 pills with a HbA1c of 44 seems too high to me...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin isn't supposed to cause hypos, but it won't stop you having one if you are hypoing for another reason, and there are a number of reasons people hypo, and they aren't always D related.

Definitely discuss this with doc :) although i suspect it is medication related.

Interestingly, RH is a stage people often go through as they develop T2.
Maybe you are going through it in reverse...