well done

hismom

Hi,
I just wanted to say a big well done to all parents who are coping with diabetes in really young children. I am not saying that us parents of older children dont have a hard job but I think it must be much harder when they are younger. Give yourselves a big pat on the back from me.

steph

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Thanks Steph,

It is certainly getting easier as Khaleb gets older. Partly this is due to my knowledge of his system growing all the time but also having a bit more body weight seems to suit insulin better.

One BIG advantage for the young kids is they don't have to grieve for their past life of eating whatever/whenever and never remember a time when they didn't get their finger pricked before a meal and have injections. The parents grief is a whole other issue but as adults we can hide our strain.

Jen

Han&Yas

Dislikes
Lack of sleep, and fatigue
Hi

Reading this post made me cry even more then I did this evening, having a emotional few days.. going through the 'I Hate Diabetes' phase again.

My son is a T1 for just under a year now, hes 2.5 yrs old and I got to admit for a few months it goes well, and a few other months its just absolutely horrendous. Just had to wake him as his bm was 2.5, and the little fella just wants to sleep.. its mind draining, i really would give a arm to swap places with him as I hate having to watch him suffer with this horrible illness. How do you explain to a child the importance of eating a full plate , not a quarter or half of it in regards to diabetes !! Or to wake up so he can be treated for his hypo .., having to turn the buggy around in the shop if there are any lolli pops in sight. I really dont like it

The whole positive mental attitude thing works for me most days but tonight, I just had a good long cry and although I have a bursting headache i feel slightly better. This is tough work, and I dont mean to sound ungratefull and there are alot worse things happening to people around the world, but tonight I just am drowning in self pity.

I'm 23, gave up my dream of becoming a lawyer to nurse my baby's diabetes and I dont regret it at all, and the one person who I thought would be there to support me (his dad) decides to leave me to it, as I am probably the best person for the job and know what I am doing !!

So thank you for the beautifull person who started this thread... I love all you strong parents out there, for the one thing we share in our lives our unconvenient member of the family MR Diabetes..

Night All

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Han&Yas,

The first year was really the hardest for Khaleb & me. For some reason things started falling into place after that so I hope you find the next year has a little less frustration. There are always times that things don't work out quite like you think - keeps you on your toes!

I've just come out of the worst Winter for Khaleb with him catching every cold and flu around and am just completely shocked at what wonderful bsl's he has now. I've even managed to have a couple of full nights of sleep with no drama :D .

I've been doing everything for Khaleb since his dad left when he was 10 weeks old so I feel your strain. I live close to my sister now and she is great helping out with Khaleb on the odd occassion. I hope you can get a little break sometime or you are going to find it really hard to hand over any responsibility when your son goes to kindy/school. I know I struggled with this at the start of this year. I was so worried one day when I left Khaleb that I backed my car into a brick wall and broke the tail light :oops: . I'd never hit anything in 20 yrs of driving before this.

Nothing wrong with a pity party now and again.

hismom

hi,
also dont be afraid to ask for help. The hardest thing I found was not my son adjusting but to me adjusting to it. I must admit that we are 10 months into it and it is only now that he is taking control before now I have sorted it all out for him. All you can do is your best.As for the sweets lollypops we dont do but he does have some chocolate every now and then.

steph

Han&Yas

Dislikes
Lack of sleep, and fatigue
Hi Jen & Steph

Thank you so much for your kind words, and sharing your experience means alot, definately feel alot better today and just getting on with it. Went to clinic with the little one this avo, and DNS worked out some slight adjustments we can make to try and steady things and so far this evening its worked.

Also going to the hospital today, and seeing a severely disabled child today has made me eat a massive slice of humble pie and I ended up feeling really silly about my little breakdown :oops: last night.

His grandma came back from holiday this morning and she is a great help as she takes him over the weekend every fortnight, so I am hoping that will give me the chance to get a little break soon :)

I am slightly dreading kinderg/school, but hope that things will settle before then, and like you say we can only do our best and hope that it will be enough.

Hana

Hi Id just like to thank the person whom started this thread because it is a lot harder with toddlers and babies having tantrums because they dont want to eat!
My little girl is now 3 and was diagnosed t1 at 10 months old so I know how hard it can be and as soon as we get her bs levels under control she has a growth spurt and it throws everything out of the window! I am constantly amazed by what an intelligent and caring little girl I have and sooo brave I am just so lucky to have her! diabetes and all because when I think of her 1st diagnosed and how ill she was im just sooo glad she is still here!
she starts school in 2 weeks! and im sooo nervous but I know she will be fine because although she is only 3 she can tell people when she feels funny (hypo) and tells them she needs sweets or juice! Very independant Im a very proud mum :D