Well its happened

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive been put on Metformin. No great surprise really as since getting my meter 3 weeks ago, all of my readings have been above 9.

Just really hoping I dont get any of those nasty side effects, especially with having IBS. She has given me the slow releasing one, so I will have to see how I get on.

Claire

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Sue

That was one of my concerns. It says that the worst side effects will be in the first two weeks then should settle down. With Christmas only being a week tomorrow, I really hope the medication doesnt ruin my Christmas. It is going to be hard enough, not being able to eat what I like, without feeling ill also.

Fingers Crossed for a Merry Christmas for everyone.

Claire
:)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Claire,

If you take the tablets with your food, not before or after your meal, it is supposed to minimise the side effects of Glucophage. I am also on Glucophage (1000mg twice a day) and my consultant says best to take them about half way through your main course. Occasionally I have forgotten and taken them half an hour after eating with no ill effects, but then I don't have IBS!

Good luck with them and have a good Christmas.

martinbuchan

I take 1000mg twice a day with food. I have been lucky and had no ill effects. Although I did build up the dose gradually over a few weeks. I thinbk the slow release is better as I think the half life is 6 hours for normal MF. If I take it at an early tea around 5pm, I don't think much is left in my system by the morning. So I sometimes take another 500mg with a snack before bed on those occasions. As the other regime is 850mg 8 hourly, I am still within that daily dosage.

MF reduces my fasting BS about 3 mmol i think (based on the very few times I have forgotten to take it). I am on fairly gut rotting antibiotics for a foot bone infection at the moment (clindamycin and cirpofloxacin), my bowels are controlled with probiotic yogurt drinks (4 a day at the moment). I think MF is a brilliant. I would hate to think how much Insulin I would be taking without MF (currently 100 levemir over 2 doses and about 90/day of novorapid).

Metformin has also been show to improve mortality and reduce risks/complications. it is not a failure to be on it. If anything, you probably should want to be on it. My diabetic nurses said if they developed type 2 (and one is borderline), they would start on MF and insulin straight away.

Marty B

martinbuchan

Thats why I have got today brewers yeast tabs. The yeast S B is good for antibioic related diarrhoea. The re about 40-50 cals per drink, but they certainly work. With the Brewers yeast tabs I will be able o cut down on them a bit (to 2 a day). Clindamycin is the classic antibiotic to produce Clostridium difficile problems, at the moment I am trying to get a good diet that may not be calorie controlled but is wide and varied.

I will look up the capsules later this week.

Thanks

Marty B

martinbuchan

Hi

Actimel has L casei immunitas bacteria. Per 100g pot it has 3.3g carb of which all of it is sugar. 4 of those a day is equivilent to a reasonably sized apple in terms of carbs. Each 100g has 0.1g fat and 28 kCal. Not a significant amount for anybody.

The best tasting is Muller Vitality. It has 71kCal per 100ml pot. CHO is 10g per 100 almost all sugar. It has added Omega 3 oils, so there is 1.7g fat per 100ml pot (1g saturated). 75mg omega 3 per pot.

So I only take one of the muller pots per day, It has the probiotic baceria La-5 and Bb-12.

I can't be bothered going back to my fridge to see what yakult is. yes, I am that fat and lazy just now.

All in all, actimel original could be considered an essential part of any calorie controlled diet, or for any other reason. I don't see any reason why diabetics can't use Actimel original- there is no real case against use for diabetics regarding carb content. However, being from Aberdeenshire, if the capsules are cheaper then that is major reason. I just live in a rural area. The bad name yogurts get is form the low fat variety which seem to load up on sugars to compensate for lower fat.

Marty B

martinbuchan

Hi

looked up Healthspan.co.uk- I use them for a lot of my supplements (they are quite cheap and not just because I used to work in Guernsey). £10 for 3 months supply. They have 3 kinds of bacteria in the capsules which will survive past the stomach. Ordered tonight. As I will be antibiotics for at least the next 3 months I will use it for this long. I will still take the brewer's yeast (also contains B vits), I will probably use at least one actimel and 1 muller vitality a day as these contain different probiotic bugs.

Certainly cheaper than the yogurt drinks.....

Thanks for the heads up SarahQ

Marty B

martinbuchan

Yakult has 17 g sugar per 100ml (pots are 65ml each). Finally manged to wobble to the fridge.

Actimel is probably the best one of the three.

Marty B