Welsh Rugby Player Speaks Of Optimism Following Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis

DCUK NewsBot

Rugby player Tyler Morgan believes being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes will not hold him back from returning to the Welsh national side. The 22-year-old says that keeping his carbohydrate intake under control and monitoring his blood sugar means that "diabetes is part of my life now". He told WalesOnline: "In May I wasn’t very well, I’d lost a lot of weight, and I had all the main symptoms of having diabetes. I told my parents I didn’t feel great and they said to go and get checked out. I went to the team doctor and we did a medical test that day. "When I look back on last year, I definitely didn’t feel myself. I felt weak and tired and just a bit down in general. It had an impact on my injuries and recovery which hopefully I’m over now." Tyler, who plays for Welsh team the Dragons and has been capped by Wales four times, struggled with an ankle injury last October and in February suffered a hairline fracture to his foot. Speaking about how he has adapted to the condition, he said, "Diabetes is part of my life now." Adding that, "It’s quite easy to manage, but I have to stay away from puddings or cakes and high carbohydrates now." Tyler is grateful for the support he’s had and is optimistic about the next season ahead of him: "I lost about 10 kilos in two weeks last season and it happened very quickly. It was lucky I wasn’t playing at the time and now I’m taking insulin, I’m back to my normal weight. It’s a bit of a change for me, but hopefully my normal performance will follow now too." His focus is now to get back into his club’s first team, saying, "It was very difficult last year with me only playing a handful of games. It’s a mental test and it can be a dark place when you’re in the gym working by yourself. Now there is light at the end of the tunnel which makes it all worth it." Type 1 diabetes is a long-term condition which requires daily management, including blood glucose monitoring and insulin injections, for which our Diabetes Forum provides an opportunity to gain peer support. A step-by-step plan to support people manage the condition is outlined in a book published by us in collaboration with Dr David Cavan titled ‘Take Control of Type 1 Diabetes'. Diabetes.co.uk is also launching the Type 1 Program to help people control their diabetes by choosing a level of carbohydrate intake that allows them to achieve strong diabetes control. People who are interested can register here.

Continue reading...