Werther's Original Sugar Free (42g) boxed sweets. Good or bad?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi folks, what is the consensus for the sugar free Werther's range? They have no sugar but I've just looked at the box of chocolate flavour sweets and there's 85.8g of carbs (of which 0.5g is sugar) and the box is 42g with around 20 sweets in it.

The high level of carbs, do they break down the same as carb-carbs? Basically, are they bad as a sweet alternative?

Hellllp!

Attachments

• DSC_4054-774x1376.JPG
    DSC_4054-774x1376.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 639

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well I'm quickly doing the maff.. & from what you tell me each sweet has slightly less carb content than a jelly baby? (Someone slap me if I'm wrong.)
These sweets could also have a laxative effect if too many are consumed? Along with a rising BG, by my reckoning...

Do you have a pic of the nutritional stuff on the back of the box? ;) Maybe a couple of packaging print "disclaimers" too??

Reactions: IronLioness

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are reading a uk nutrition label I’m thinking the 85 is 85/100g. Ie 85%. Which is staggeringly high carb!
Move away from the sweets! Do not touch the sweets!

A screen shot of the label might prove this right or wrong

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

These references are from a us site talking about US sweet/lollie/candy

The 5 carbs per chewy caramel are exclusively from malitol sugar alcohol. This is probably the worst sugar alcohol there is and many people have a sugar spike from it. I’d avoid it personally

The hard ones look better but I’d only eat them if I could trust myself to 1 or 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, what is the consensus for the sugar free Werther's range? They have no sugar but I've just looked at the box of chocolate flavour sweets and there's 85.8g of carbs (of which 0.5g is sugar) and the box is 42g with around 20 sweets in it.

The high level of carbs, do they break down the same as carb-carbs? Basically, are they bad as a sweet alternative?

Hellllp!
I wouldn't.. its far better to try and get rid of our taste for "sweet" and pretty soon you won't miss it but all these "fake" foods just hold us to the past that we are trying t leave behind. Well that's what I think anyway.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the links @Tipetoo . You got me wracking my brain after a long week. & the carb content of the box pictured in the OP looks a little "saner." (If you wish to call it that?) I'm figuring just over 35g?

Get the meter out & test the effect of one...
I'll be honest. I only use confectionary as a hypo treatment.. Earlier I had a low & I couldn't tell the difference between a knor chicken stock cube & a Quality street.. My wife keeps the cubes in a cup. I thought it was her secret sweet stash.

Hey ho! :p

D

Deleted member 308541

I have lived in Australia for close on fifty years and they are called lollies here, not sweets.
The 5 carbs per chewy caramel are exclusively from malitol sugar alcohol. This is probably the worst sugar alcohol there is and many people have a sugar spike from it. I’d avoid it personally
That's why I said the carbs are not from sugar cane.
The hard ones look better but I’d only eat them if I could trust myself to 1 or 2
One is to many, the packet is not enough... :D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a Brit that lived in Australia for 6 yrs. it took couple of years (with small kids!) to realise lollies in Australia didn’t need the stick they did in U.K. to be labelled lollies. Sweets/candies/lollies are interchangeable depending on location.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi,

Well I'm quickly doing the maff.. & from what you tell me each sweet has slightly less carb content than a jelly baby? (Someone slap me if I'm wrong.)
These sweets could also have a laxative effect if too many are consumed? Along with a rising BG, by my reckoning...

Do you have a pic of the nutritional stuff on the back of the box? ;) Maybe a couple of packaging print "disclaimers" too??
@Jaylee yep, here we go, here's the nutritional info. Bought from Morrison's, I thought they'd be a good sweet-swap for when cravings kick in. I don't think I'd smash a whole box, maybe 4 or 5 pieces max, just for sugar hit, otherwise I'd be on the loo, maybe, ha! I wasn't sure on the carb breakdown, though.
DSC_4055-774x1376.JPG

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
If you are reading a uk nutrition label I’m thinking the 85 is 85/100g. Ie 85%. Which is staggeringly high carb!
Move away from the sweets! Do not touch the sweets!

A screen shot of the label might prove this right or wrong
Haha!! Move away from the sweets! I think I need to re assess my sweet tooth! Doh... *facepalms they do seem super high but I thought suuuuurely it's not 85g of carb-carbs?!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine

Oh ****! So basically it looks like they're the devil! Darn it, I thought they'd be a good alternative, bah....

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I wouldn't.. its far better to try and get rid of our taste for "sweet" and pretty soon you won't miss it but all these "fake" foods just hold us to the past that we are trying t leave behind. Well that's what I think anyway.
You're right @bulkbiker I should avoid totally, but at the moment I just get a random sweet craving. I thought these would be better than actual sweets, doh..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lived in Australia for close on fifty years and they are called lollies here, not sweets.

The only thing I use a lollynstick for is checking the coolant level in a "header tank" on my old van..

Lol, to be fair. Shove a stick in a sweet & you have a Lollypop.. A carb laden icicle, it's an iced lolly..

@IronLioness ? One word.. Cheese! ;) :D But by all means,k check to see the effects of these treats with your BG meter.... :) You do own a meter?

D

Deleted member 308541

A carb laden icicle, it's an iced lolly..
Ice block here mate.

I have a bit of a collection of sticks from skinny ooops round ones, to normal size flat ones (beverage stirrers) to tongue depressors that I had liberated from the wound dressing clinic several years ago.

Building material for small project reinforcing.

Reactions: Jaylee