what am i doing wrong hubby has high bloods in the morning

andreaabbott1

I have been trying really hard to keep hubbies blood sugar down as he has neuropathy
2 mornings now his bloods have been high
yesterday they were 9.3 and this morning 8.3

yesterday he had oats so simple for breakfast
I gave him 1 slice of cheese on toast using nimble whole meal for lunch and a glass of sugar free lemon squash
for dinner he had lambs liver with bacon I used the bisto low salt instant gravy he had two table spoons of peas and 1 dessert spoon of carrot and swede mash nothing added
he had a weight watcher yogurt
he had 3 brazil nuts and an apple

so what is making his blood high in the morning

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe try reducing his carbs a little...and step up the testing to see how different foods affect him. I'm a type 1 but oats so simple would put my sugars through the roof. Also watch out for sugar in weight watchers yogurts...although they are virtually fat free there is a high sugar content.

reidpj

I have been trying really hard to keep hubbies blood sugar down as he has neuropathy
2 mornings now his bloods have been high
yesterday they were 9.3 and this morning 8.3

yesterday he had oats so simple for breakfast
I gave him 1 slice of cheese on toast using nimble whole meal for lunch and a glass of sugar free lemon squash
for dinner he had lambs liver with bacon I used the bisto low salt instant gravy he had two table spoons of peas and 1 dessert spoon of carrot and swede mash nothing added
he had a weight watcher yogurt
he had 3 brazil nuts and an apple

so what is making his blood high in the morning

Hi

The oats, toast, Bisto, peas, carrots, Weightwatchers yogurt, and the apple would send my readings up to, or past, those levels.

Reactions: 4 people

andreaabbott1

He is type 2, they are fromage fraise , I wondered if it was the apple, but he also tells me he had raisins he just told me also because of the pain he is in he spends 95% of his time laying down so he is not burning any sugar up

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to many carbs for me ... Is he on any medication?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - far too many carbs! Replace them with fats - they won't raise glucose levels much, if at all.

High levels in the morning can also be caused by the "Dawn Phenomenon" - ala liver dump. Have a read about this here.

Riobbity

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He is type 2, they are fromage fraise , I wondered if it was the apple, but he also tells me he had raisins he just told me also because of the pain he is in he spends 95% of his time laying down so he is not burning any sugar up

Whilst I recall he doesn't want to change his diet, it strikes me you now have a captive audience, due to his unfortunate circumstances. Can't you get some of those carbs down?

reidpj

If possible, try to double (or treble) up on his fats. Layer butter on his toast then add an extra slice cheese; use the fattiest bacon that you can get away with; swede on its own with tons of added butter (I, usually, mash my swede with cauliflower); strawberries, raspberries, blackberries (expensive - unless you buy the frozen ones). The more eggs the better. I only fry with beef dripping or lard.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If possible, try to double (or treble) up on his fats. Layer butter on his toast then add an extra slice cheese; use the fattiest bacon that you can get away with; swede on its own with tons of added butter (I, usually, mash my swede with cauliflower); strawberries, raspberries, blackberries (expensive - unless you buy the frozen ones). The more eggs the better. I only fry with beef dripping or lard.

You missed out the double cream.

andreaabbott1

oh I thought I was lowering the carbs where am I going wrong?
I use butter not spread, have cut out normal bread
really cut down on potatoes and been using cauliflower sometimes with added cheese when i mash the cauliflower
no pasta or rice
I am just finding it limiting for the children so hard to plan different dinners

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
You've fallen into the same trap we did. We're so used to thinking LOW FAT equals weight loss we ignore the LCHF rules, principal in this being Fat Is Good! We to were buying Weight Watchers foods which are packed with sugar (carbs at their worst) and low calorie puffball bread which doesn't even fill a corner - try Bergan Soya and Linseed (but only 2 slices a day at the most) and only vegs which grow ABOVE ground (no potatoes, carrots, swede, parsnips).
I go back to dietdoctor.com on google and check their 'what to eat' section every now and then to keep myself motivated. My wife does the cooking, and the rest of the family get potatoes - but not me - I get extra cream and cheese and meat. We have full fat greek yoghurt for puddings with added rasps or strawberries, and sugar free jelly crystals with full fat cream. No one eats sweets and chocolate when I'm around and there are no crisps or biscuits anywhere in the house (yes, I've looked, sad isn't it?)
Celariac mash with cream is an acceptable potato mash substitute, it sounds horrible but just try it you'll be surprised, and don't buy low fat or reduced fat anything!

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh I thought I was lowering the carbs where am I going wrong?
I use butter not spread, have cut out normal bread
really cut down on potatoes and been using cauliflower sometimes with added cheese when i mash the cauliflower
no pasta or rice
I am just finding it limiting for the children so hard to plan different dinners

Why are the children eating different dinners?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, everyone on here would definitely recommend the kids do the high fat part of the diet as well.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've fallen into the same trap we did. We're so used to thinking LOW FAT equals weight loss we ignore the LCHF rules, principal in this being Fat Is Good! We to were buying Weight Watchers foods which are packed with sugar (carbs at their worst) and low calorie puffball bread which doesn't even fill a corner - try Bergan Soya and Linseed (but only 2 slices a day at the most) and only vegs which grow ABOVE ground (no potatoes, carrots, swede, parsnips).
I go back to dietdoctor.com on google and check their 'what to eat' section every now and then to keep myself motivated. My wife does the cooking, and the rest of the family get potatoes - but not me - I get extra cream and cheese and meat. We have full fat greek yoghurt for puddings with added rasps or strawberries, and sugar free jelly crystals with full fat cream. No one eats sweets and chocolate when I'm around and there are no crisps or biscuits anywhere in the house (yes, I've looked, sad isn't it?)
Celariac mash with cream is an acceptable potato mash substitute, it sounds horrible but just try it you'll be surprised, and don't buy low fat or reduced fat anything!

tagged @reidpj, he can explain to you why swede is fine, for just one example.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Oh - is swede fine? Must tell Her Indoors, I love swede - I suppose mashing with carrot is a big no-no?
But seriously, kids and young animals do need extra carbs for energy, but not in the form of sugar, or so I'm told., but they can have extra fruit. I can see chips and pizzas and pasta would be missed but sweet potato chips are nice for a treat (done at home in a chip pan).
Also, I forgot, I used to drink a lot of milk as I thought it was a 'natural' food - but it seems its packed with sugary carbs, skimmed being worse than full fat - nothing seems to be where it used to be does it? In fact you're better off putting full fat cream in your coffee! How odd is that?
Cheese is fine - but no biscuits with it. - Odd again!
Nuts!!! Really, nuts? - yes use them for snacking!
Pork scratchings instead of crisps! - wow! (no beer though).

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kids do need the extra carbs for energy, but not in the form of sugar, or so I'm told. Also, I forgot, I used to drink a lot of milk as I thought it was a 'natural' food - but it seems its packed with sugary carbs, skimmed being worse than full fat - nothing seems to be where it used to be does it? In fact you're better off putting full fat cream in your coffee! How odd is that?
Cheese is fine - but no biscuits with it. - Odd again!
Nuts!!! Really, nuts? - yes use them for snacking!
Pork scratchings instead of crisps! - wow! (no beer though).

You can chug down the spirits though.
No carbs in them.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Children can get their energy from fats - they're no different to adults in this respect. @Scandichic's family all eat the same diet. Young active children can switch in and out of ketosis (fat burning) as required, and breast fed babies are naturally in ketosis too, check Google. So there's no real reason except (current) convention to feed them mainly on carbs.:wideyed:

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

reidpj

tagged @reidpj, he can explain to you why swede is fine, for just one example.

Swede is low in carbs; approximately 2.5g per 100g. Mind you, Swede is low in everything - especially volume once cooked

Packet of sugar-free jelly made-up as per; blitz 300mls of double cream and a handful of berries into it; leave to set.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
In addition to carbs, the stress from the uncontrolled pain and other symptoms may be pushing up his blood sugars. I know he is waiting to see the pain clinic, and I think that could really help.