Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
HI,

I haven't religiously recorded my results for some time; I just refer to my meter.

Having used an app (DiaConnect) for the last 3 weeks however has been very helpful I think; and I hope to continue to do that.

Information is no good if it's just sitting there and not being used.

I've now got the following apps on my phone;

DiaConnect and mySugr

I'm leaning towards DiaConnect; it is clearly laid out and you can add things like blood pressure and weight. It also provides a simple pie chart of how your bloods are doing with estimates of HbA1c based on your average results.

mySugr is kind of annoying and aimed, I'm assuming, at children; it does have a useful 'deviation from mean' feature but that's about it.

I used to have ManageBL but deleted it and can't remember why; they do hassle me a lot with e-mails so perhaps the app was also annoying; I might check it again.

Does anyone have an app that they swear by? If so why?

What would be good was if the meters were brought up to date so that they would do all this stuff themselves and provide the necessary analysis but I guess they are just in a margin business can can't be bothered to invest in the meter when it's the strips that make the money.

Thanks

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI,

I haven't religiously recorded my results for some time; I just refer to my meter.

Having used an app (DiaConnect) for the last 3 weeks however has been very helpful I think; and I hope to continue to do that.

Information is no good if it's just sitting there and not being used.

I've now got the following apps on my phone;

DiaConnect and mySugr

I'm leaning towards DiaConnect; it is clearly laid out and you can add things like blood pressure and weight. It also provides a simple pie chart of how your bloods are doing with estimates of HbA1c based on your average results.

mySugr is kind of annoying and aimed, I'm assuming, at children; it does have a useful 'deviation from mean' feature but that's about it.

I used to have ManageBL but deleted it and can't remember why; they do hassle me a lot with e-mails so perhaps the app was also annoying; I might check it again.

Does anyone have an app that they swear by? If so why?

What would be good was if the meters were brought up to date so that they would do all this stuff themselves and provide the necessary analysis but I guess they are just in a margin business can can't be bothered to invest in the meter when it's the strips that make the money.

Thanks

Dillinger

I use mySugr but get discouraged by the cartoon reactions to poor results! I think I can deselect these add-on cartoons, but not sure.
I have emailed the mySugr 'staff''(?) at various times for various reasons and was impressed with how quickly they got back to me, and the detail with which they answered my questions.

I still prefer to keep a paper record though I agree it's not much use if I don't make changes! I keep my paper record in the same kitbag as my insulin supplies for mdi. My consultant does glance at my 6-8 daily results to get an impression of why my HbA1c is what it is. I'm not so attached to my iphone as to my insulin kit, I wonder why! But that means that I often have to record my results retrospectively onto mySugr which is a drag and not their fault!:(

What I think would help me is cgm but I don't want to be hooked up to anything, monitor or pump, though I suppose I would consider them IF they were offered to me. :)

I don't think mySugr is aimed at children, though I believe there is a whole separate version for children, with added whizz bang fun features.

I use FoodFocus to help with keeping a track of carbs, calories, protein, fat ...., but it's a lot of work, and not aimed at people with diabetes, so, although I get some use out of it, I wouldn't really recommend it unless a weight problem is making the diabetes worse.

I agree that our bs meters should do the lot, and be more accurate, and also that the investment isn't there to provide what we need from our meters. I use the Accu-chek Aviva Expert. (The Active Insulin is a useful guide, and the 7-90-day pie-chart analysis of control).

In short, I haven't found the perfect app. It sounds like DiaConnect might be worth a look, then.

I hope you will keep us posted if you find anything better!
Luz

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also like the Standard Deviation feature on mysugr, and the way it shows ratios of basal to bolus. But I do find it hard to read the story of a day from the Logbook screen. And I don't like that there isn't really a good place to see notes you've written.

I used to use the Diabetes UK D Tracker, but it doesn't offer any analysis tools, just an intuitive diary-type screen where you can see any notes you made.

The big No for all of them, though, is that except for disasters I'm testing in the good times, before and 1.5 h after meals. Those scores are fine - it's not those that send the A1c up. We need ALL the scores, spikes and all.

That's what's good about the Libre - when the sensors behave, that is.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was trying to use my libre for recording, but I found the limited note capacity to be a bind. On food I am usually bolussing more for protein than carbs, and the exercise information is also a bit rubbish. As a result I've ended up using DiaCOnnect, which is pretty good.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MySugr, mainly because it integrates with Apple Health (it was the first app I found that did - don't know if others do or not).

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is Diabetes Connect the same app as DiaConnect? ... Can't find DiaConnect on google store :confused:

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just set up an excel spreadsheet with a graph of results, and synced it to my iPod touch and ipad.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used diaconnect religiously since leaving hospital, it was recommended by a long time T1 guy in the bed next to me.

I even did the unthinkable and spent £19 to upgrade to the full app for life.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422581916.490711.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422582082.634490.jpg

I love this screen and the graphing, it gives more visualisation to my target (hba1c in the 5s)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are you all getting diaconnect from? I tried to find it in the google store a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. I could use Android, Amazon's version of Android or Windows 8, but cannot find it anywhere. I don't really use Apple devices although I could use an iPad at a push if I really have to - is it only available for Apple devices?

Smidge

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
It looks like the DiaConnect (which is how the app describes itself on my phone) or Diabetes Connect (as it is actually called) is coming out on top.

MySugr just annoys me every time I use it.

What I have noticed after starting to input the data more regularly (I do it on my way to work of a morning) is that I CAN NOT DRINK BEER. It just throws my blood sugars out. I thought I could get away with Guinness but I can't handle that either. This is bad. What do people drink if out with work colleagues?

Dillinger

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Dillinger I noticed the same issue with finger pricking some time ago. As a result I have taken insulin ahead of beer for some time. Especially food like beers such as Guinness.... 30 mins before drinking and 2.5u for each of the first two pints. Then it seems to stabilise and the alcohol/insulin combination keeps things on an even keel (thanks Libre!).

Or drink wine, which is much easier to handle.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I have fully switched to dry white wine now. Beer is a casualty of my low carb diet, I do miss it on the odd night out. However, you know as well as I do what the benefits of low carb are :)

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're on android I use OnTrack, it looks very similar to Diabetes Connect but you have the option to actually type the time in rather than use the spinner (which doesn't sound like much but is quite good if you're entering a lot of info after forgetting to add it in at the time!)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have used diaconnect religiously since leaving hospital, it was recommended by a long time T1 guy in the bed next to me.

I even did the unthinkable and spent £19 to upgrade to the full app for life.

View attachment 11383

Loving your results - well done !

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone let me know what you get for the subscription to Diabetes Connect? I know you can edit the layout of your diary but are there any other features which are only available for subscibers?

Thanks