Type 2 What are optimal blood glucose levels? Practical measuring questions.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a recently diagnosed type 2, and have been reading as much as possible about how to eat and what to do. I have seen Daisy's posts for the newly diagnosed, where the NICE recommendations are included. However, I am well below the recommendation for diabetics right now (I was diagnosed based on a 6.6% HbA1c just after Christmas.)

My doctor was very satisfied with my levels the first two weeks, when I tested fasting every morning, and 2hrs post-prandial on every meal every other day. Right now, I am trying to test pre-meal, and 1hr and 2hrs post-prandial for all meals I haven't done so previously, so that I get a proper baseline of how foods affect my BG levels.

My BG levels tend to stay within the 5.2 - 6.8 range, with the higher levels measured 1hr PP. I have never measured higher than 7.8. I think I have ended up eating pretty low carb, as I have cut out pasta, rice, and potatoes while limiting bread, and sticking to crispbreads for breakfast and lunch (for now.) When I measure to check out how foods affect me, is there a maximum increase in BG levels I should keep to? Say, if it spikes my BG levels more than 2.0 at 1hr PP, I should eat that in moderation, and more than 3.0 it should be put on the 'only for a treat'-list? Should I continue measuring at 3hrs PP if the number at 2hrs is higher than at 1hr? I have absolutely no wish to end up with complications, so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I am a recently diagnosed type 2, and have been reading as much as possible about how to eat and what to do. I have seen Daisy's posts for the newly diagnosed, where the NICE recommendations are included. However, I am well below the recommendation for diabetics right now (I was diagnosed based on a 6.6% HbA1c just after Christmas.)

My doctor was very satisfied with my levels the first two weeks, when I tested fasting every morning, and 2hrs post-prandial on every meal every other day. Right now, I am trying to test pre-meal, and 1hr and 2hrs post-prandial for all meals I haven't done so previously, so that I get a proper baseline of how foods affect my BG levels.

My BG levels tend to stay within the 5.2 - 6.8 range, with the higher levels measured 1hr PP. I have never measured higher than 7.8. I think I have ended up eating pretty low carb, as I have cut out pasta, rice, and potatoes while limiting bread, and sticking to crispbreads for breakfast and lunch (for now.) When I measure to check out how foods affect me, is there a maximum increase in BG levels I should keep to? Say, if it spikes my BG levels more than 2.0 at 1hr PP, I should eat that in moderation, and more than 3.0 it should be put on the 'only for a treat'-list? Should I continue measuring at 3hrs PP if the number at 2hrs is higher than at 1hr? I have absolutely no wish to end up with complications, so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry!

Hello@KitSileya, well done on your diligent control,
May i reccomend a book that i have found to be invaluable, Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 4 th ed.
He himself has been at1 for over 50 yrs and has helped so many understand how to control this illness
I myself have used his methods and lchf regime with very good results,my bs Today are now 3.6 am fasting ,5.2 am afeter breakfasr and 6.2 after main meal

In answer to your question, it is advisable to avoid any bs rise over 2.0 mmols ,as Dr Bernstein knows, it's these spikes that cause nerve damage, clive

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello@KitSileya, well done on your diligent control,
May i reccomend a book that i have found to be invaluable, Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 4 th ed.
He himself has been at1 for over 50 yrs and has helped so many understand how to control this illness
I myself have used his methods and lchf regime with very good results,my bs Today are now 3.6 am fasting ,5.2 am afeter breakfasr and 6.2 after main meal

In answer to your question, it is advisable to avoid any bs rise over 2.0 mmols ,as Dr Bernstein knows, it's these spikes that cause nerve damage, clive

Thank you for your reply. I am definitely buying that book for my kindle - just reading the preview on Amazon taught me things I didn't know. I always thought my flatulence problem was caused by the removal of my gallbladder, but several of the patient testimonies in the book mentions it and belching as symptoms of diabetes! I thought it was weird that the moment I went on a low-carb, healthy fat diet I stopped having problems with heart burn and flatulence, even though I eat more cabbage and kale and all sorts of 'flatulence-inducing' vegetables now, and haven't given up my diet soda habit (yet.)

Reactions: Prem51

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thank you for your reply. I am definitely buying that book for my kindle - just reading the preview on Amazon taught me things I didn't know. I always thought my flatulence problem was caused by the removal of my gallbladder, but several of the patient testimonies in the book mentions it and belching as symptoms of diabetes! I thought it was weird that the moment I went on a low-carb, healthy fat diet I stopped having problems with heart burn and flatulence, even though I eat more cabbage and kale and all sorts of 'flatulence-inducing' vegetables now, and haven't given up my diet soda habit (yet.)

Very Much a learning curve,@KitSileya,and Dr Bernstein is a very knowlegeable and Respected Diabetic