What are you doing for Diabetes Week?

benedict

Administrator
All this week is Diabetes Week. It's a great excuse to let everyone know more about diabetes.

What will you doing for diabetes week?

Are you taking part in any diabetes events?

Helping to get signatures for the test strips for people with type 2 petition
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20537
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-petitions/share-petition.html

Or doing anything else to raise more awareness of diabetes and the issues around our condition?

Let us know what you're doing :)

Benedict

Helvelyn

Hi myself and a group of mums have made a video for YouTube called 'A Mother's Anthem- I am the mother of a diabetic child' based on a work by Linda Kanaisty. It gives the feeling behind the smiles of a mum and what our daily life is like. Would be good if yu could share it on the forum or in the email newsletter.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Have got a very sick relative coming out of hospital (6th admission since Christmas) so I haven't got time to get involved in specific events. I didn't even realise it was Diabetes Week but then we have numerous health "issues" in our family, it's always something-or-other week!

Funnily enough on another forum that I use (nothing to do with Diabetes) somebody asked about sugarless recipes. That got into an interesting little thread, I mentioned the the low-ER carbing that I (and most of us here) seem to do and posted a link to the low carb recipe section.

I also posted the link about the petition for type 2 testing while I was at it! Main thing is..the word is spreading about an alternative way of eating and the test strip petition. :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm thinking of following the DUK diet for a week, to demonstrate how stupid and dangerous it is.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
I'm thinking of following the DUK diet for a week, to demonstrate how stupid and dangerous it is.

That's a good idea, I think for those that can handle the higher levels should then print out a low carb week of good levels then a comparison of levels whilst following the DUK diet and hand the results to DUK and NHS and government.

Discerning1

I'm spreading the word about my husband's blog concerning healthy cooking for Type 2 diabetes. Robin was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 13 years ago and managed to control it without drugs for 6 years by changing his diet and exercise (mainly walking). He now does take one pill a day. He's 70 and loves to cook and published a cookbook last year called Delicious Dishes for Diabetics: A Mediterranean Way of Eating. But he shares lots of recipes on his blog with inspiring photos. His main point is that you can still cook & eat great food, even if you have Type 2 (in moderation, of course). Check it out here: http://robin-ellis.net/. Some readers may remember Robin as Captain Ross Poldark in the BBC classic TV series.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Discerning 1 (Meredith?)

I can't quite remember where but I read some of the posts from Robin's link before and was impressed with some of the recipes I saw there, I may well treat myself to the book.

It would be really nice if your hubby could find time to be a part of this forum, even though it's not the charity DUK it does some sterling work with giving people dietary options. What especially pleased me with the blog (just had another quick peek) was that I didn't see carbohydrates advocated with all dishes and there were some very some very tasty looking recipes.
Another "celebrity" who has written a cookbook for Diabetics (AWT) not that long ago has recommended recipes that will probably makes most diabetics ill, seems to me he's is on a money making exercise whereas your hubby seems to live the lifestyle he advocates.

Hope the book is successful :D

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:

I think that would probably make me sink :(

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is an interesting blog and I'm going to watch that TV documentary tonight as it should be interesting.