Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Personally, I can't wait for my Christmas break!

My brother is coming back to Coventry for a few days with his girlfriend and we've got my grandparents over on Christmas day this year as well. Having recently found out that my Nan has multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer), we're really wanting to make the most of the time we have with her and my Grandad this year... though the circumstances aren't the best, I'm really looking forward to seeing them. Love having all the family together for Christmas - it's the one day of the year we can all agree to disagree and just have a lovely day.

We've got a family tradition where all of my dad's side of the family go to my Aunt's house early in the morning and have a few glasses of Bucks Fizz before we all head back to our own homes for dinner.

Typical lazy day on Boxing day, planning to stay in my PJs all day if I can get away with it :lol:

So, what are your Christmas plans for this year?

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my birthday just before Christmas and my wife has just had her birthday so we had our birthdays/christmas with 6 days in germany at the markets in Hamburg, Celle and Lüneburg. Ain't got any money left do do anything else :(

My son and my daughter will arrive next week and spend a few days asking me to taxi them here and there.

Reactions: 3 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very Quiet one for me, just down the road from you Giverny in Nuneaton, Going to my parents Christmas Day (just the 3 of us) then Boxing Day my sister and her other half are coming down from Stoke on Trent for Christmas-part 2. Working between Christmas and New Year (my choice I'd rather have my holiday when the weather's nice) I enjoy the quiet Christmas, I play in a couple of local Brass Bands, so the run up to Christmas is hectic, all my Decemeber weekends are normally booked up by the middle of August, so Christmas Eve normally involves collasping into a heap!!!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife and I are having a meal in a pub near Huntingdon near Cambridge with some relatives from Australia. This is the first time away from home.
We are leaving our children at home to cope for themselves, their are aged between 27 and 36 not to sure about the mess when we return. However we shall enjoy Christmas because it is written as they say.
Anyway Giverny Please have a great Christmas with your family. ( by the way I have seen your photo and you have a double, my daughter Doreen looks so much like you)
Roy, :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Yorksman said:
It's my birthday just before Christmas and my wife has just had her birthday so we had our birthdays/christmas with 6 days in germany at the markets in Hamburg, Celle and Lüneburg. Ain't got any money left do do anything else :(

My son and my daughter will arrive next week and spend a few days asking me to taxi them here and there.
Wow, I bet the markets were lovely!

lessci said:
Very Quiet one for me, just down the road from you Giverny in Nuneaton, Going to my parents Christmas Day (just the 3 of us) then Boxing Day my sister and her other half are coming down from Stoke on Trent for Christmas-part 2. Working between Christmas and New Year (my choice I'd rather have my holiday when the weather's nice) I enjoy the quiet Christmas, I play in a couple of local Brass Bands, so the run up to Christmas is hectic, all my Decemeber weekends are normally booked up by the middle of August, so Christmas Eve normally involves collasping into a heap!!!
I'm actually closer than Coventry - Bulkington resident here (Ex-Bedworth, but I don't talk about that :lol:)

Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your parents and a fab boxing day with your sister. Sometimes it's nice to have a quiet Christmas, especially when the preceding few weeks are so, so busy! Which brass bands are you a part of? I may have seen you play!

izzzi said:
My wife and I are having a meal in a pub near Huntingdon near Cambridge with some relatives from Australia. This is the first time away from home.
We are leaving our children at home to cope for themselves, their are aged between 27 and 36 not to sure about the mess when we return. However we shall enjoy Christmas because it is written as they say.
Anyway Giverny Please have a great Christmas with your family. ( by the way I have seen your photo and you have a double, my daughter Doreen looks so much like you)
Roy, :)
Ooooh that sounds lovely! I bet it'll be weird to have Christmas away from home for a change. Sure takes the pressure off, though :thumbup:. I'm sure the kids will keep the house nice and clean in your absence.

Will try and enjoy Christmas - just trying not to put too much pressure on my poor Nan, bless her heart!

PS: I think this may be the first time someone has said I look like anyone else! I'm sure your daughter is far better looking than I am :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm just back from Frankfurt and the Xmas markets where I got engaged :)

It's my nephews 1st birthday on Saturday so we're having a party for him. Xmas eve we go to my neighbours big party, Xmas morning at my mums (Santa still visits the grown ups in my family ;) ) then over to my boyfriends mums for presents, then back to my mums for dinner! Keeping all the family happy!

My other sister is due any day with her 3rd child so we're hoping she pops soon so baby can enjoy Xmas too!

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hale710 said:

It's my nephews 1st birthday on Saturday so we're having a party for him. Xmas eve we go to my neighbours big party, Xmas morning at my mums (Santa still visits the grown ups in my family ;) ) then over to my boyfriends mums for presents, then back to my mums for dinner! Keeping all the family happy!

My other sister is due any day with her 3rd child so we're hoping she pops soon so baby can enjoy Xmas too!

congratulations Hale :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
hale710 said:

Congrats on the engagement! What a lovely place to pop the question :thumbup:

You sound like you've got a very busy Christmas ahead of you. Don't have too much to drink :wink:. Hope santa brings you everything you want... if you've been good that is :shh:

Best of luck to your sister as well, the gift of life outshines any present money can buy!

brett said:
Relax, enjoy, eat, drink and be merry :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Stay safe over the holidays, Brett! Hope you have a good one :thumbup:

WhitbyJet

Very traditional at our house. My in-laws, that is husbands parents, his sister and brother with their families will arrive from Sweden on 22 December, staying until 10 January. Our two eldest children return from uni, its going to be a proper family Christmas, lucky that we have plenty of room, my parents and two sisters living in the same street, they will accommodate some of our Swedish family, dont worry they all get on like a house on fire.
We share the cooking, go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, probably get struck by a flash of lightning and thunderbolt the moment I enter church because I really only go to keep Mum happy, Christmas morning open pressies, kids and adults play, watch TV/movies until dinner, then its time to take the dogs and go for a long walk.
Boxing Day we are all lazy, recovering from the excesses, playing games, watching movies, chatting, cuddling the kids and pets - some kindly soul will do the vaccuming and attempt to tidy up a little.

Sad because we know for certain that this is my Dad's last Christmas, he had an operation and radiotherapy for a brain tumour in May, the tumour has started to grow again and he has been given 3 months to live :(

Next few days will be spent visiting aunties, uncles and cousins that dont live nearby.

Reactions: 4 people

WhitbyJet

hale710 said:

CONGRATULATIONS hale on your engagement, all the very best for your future x x

Hope your sisters baby arrives on time, a new baby at Christmas, how lovely, awwww I am going all broody LOL

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stay safe over the holidays, Brett! Hope you have a good one :thumbup:[/quote]

Thanks giverny, will do. Everyone I'm out with and around at christmas are all aware I'm type 1, and are pretty clued up considering. Always someone asking me u o.k have u tested lol.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Congratulations on the engagement Hale !
As for me, a 24hr shift Xmas Day 0730 to Boxing Day 0730 ! Bah Humbug !!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
As for me, a 24hr shift Xmas Day 0730 to Boxing Day 0730 ! Bah Humbug !!!

Hope it's a quiet one for you. Mrs Yorks works in the haematology lab and has to do these things occasionally. She says the Boxing Day shift is worst because loads of people present to A&E with chest pains, indigestion through over indulgence, but they all have to have their bloods checked to rule out a heart attack.

She's New Year's Eve this year.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Congratulations Hale :thumbup:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Giverny said:
Wow, I bet the markets were lovely!

Lots of temptation though. This year there were lots of stalls selling chocolate tools:

2445844_web.jpg