1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What are your hypo symptoms?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by rachy0121, Mar 7, 2015.

1. rachy0121

rachy0121 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wondering the signs that everyone gets when they're low?? I get the standard shaking feeling weak dizzy. Hot flushes pounding heart rate. Eyesight and hearing also goes funny.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hunger feeling mainly and a head sweat if they are dropping fast, also feel the need to go for a pee......strange as it seems :rolleyes:

3. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Thankfully I only get the shakes and grab the glucose before anything else goes haywire. Perhaps the hot flush and pounding heart is due to mild panic.

4. dan12321

dan12321 Type 1 · Active Member

All hypos are different depending on the situation and what youre doing at the time, the worst are night time hypos or hypos when your being physically active. Ive had loads of different symptoms of a hypo over the years. Most of its due to your body releasing adrenaline, the rest is your brain not functioning properly due to lack of glucose

• Like Like x 6
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Quite true Dan, also the worst are the ones before the insulin has reached its peak (postprandial ) as bg is dropping fast.

6. L3wisr

L3wisr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I seem to get a headache everything time

• Like Like x 2
  7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Thinking I need to eat which I never do otherwise with levels 3.5-4.5.
    Tiredness and yet racing thoughts ....3.0-3.5
    Thumping heartbeat in my head and hurting headache if I go lower than 3.0.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nicola M

Nicola M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm reading a book or on the computer all the words on a page start to go blurry and I can't concentrate on them.
    If I'm in a conversation with someone I get angry for no reason.
    I get a weak feeling in my knees.
    Finally, I get really hungry.

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Nicola M, Mar 7, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Early onset? Like walking into a room & forgetting why. Simple mental,tasks (like mesuriing a slab to cut.) becomes astrophysics..
    During conversation. I can steer the subject round abstractly & become esoteric. I can either become bubbly & chatty or introverted. Never aggressive. Extreme hunger like a stoners munchies too...
    There is a flickering white LED light cluster on the lower half of my field of vision while the eyes can ripple like shallow water.. At night this can be like a purple or green gossamer map of France??
    During exercise/heavy work along with the above. My scalp & back sweats evenly & I start to shake & loose a little balance..

I go on "auto pilot" in these instances & treat first.. Same when it wakes me..

#9 Jaylee, Mar 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
  10. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

don't always get symptoms but when i do...

between 3.5-4.0 bit of sweat along forehead and a feeling i am physically shaking but it is not visible to any body else
    between 2.0 -3.0 halo effect in my eyes -- a big green crater in front of them so to speak and also irritation
    below 2.0 really lucid thoughts about the world and life ( but can't ever recall them post hypo )

11. Jaylee

Staff Member

Like the BIG conundrum that must must be solved.. Round in circles. Catch 22? Lol black holes, meaning of life paradoxes, event horizons... Deep stuff?? :confused:

12. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My symptoms have changed over the years. In my early days I would get a craving for sweet foods and get a tingling in my lips and this was a give away.

Now and some three decades later I tend to get a bitter taste in my mouth (foods taste bitter too), jerky arm and legs movements and the inability to focus on anything.

The symptom that frightens me though is the confusion. My thoughts are totally bizarre and I can't make decisions. I can go into a shop to get some milk and I can be in there for half an hour playing with curly whirly!

Racing thoughts and bizarre behaviour normally alert others to my low sugars.

I was once picked up by the police hugging a tree in Swiss Cottage (I was having a hypo honest!). I couldn't let go of it! Anyway they prised me off and got me home and made me a sweet tea and brought me a muffin! They also told me that they would call me half hour after leaving and if I didn't answer they were coming back. So if you ever get lost in North London hug a tree and wait. Your'll be alright.

Have to laugh eh!

KevFitz

• Like Like x 26
  13. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Had to laugh at your last para :joyful:

• Like Like x 2
  14. iScream

iScream Type 1 · Active Member

It depends how early I notice it, it always seems to happen during the night for me! But as for symptoms I've noticed in the past, sweating, lack of any self awareness, foggy, tingling. Basically feel like the world is closing in on me and I'm going to die! Haha

15. claiirebear

claiirebear Type 1 · Member

I get exactly like that as if ur drunk

16. Jaylee

Staff Member

Personally? Closer to being "stoned"..

• Like Like x 6
  17. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Being told I'm not making any sense when talking (or even more than normal) if it's during night waking up in a sweat, if it's day time, shakes, getting angry really easy - shouted at my husband for moving something off the car seat the other week even as he was putting it back he had to do it NOW, didn't really matter but it did to me at the time lmao x

18. Juju82

Juju82 Type 1 · Active Member

I start go feel the same as you, roughly when I get into the 4's

19. claiirebear

claiirebear Type 1 · Member

for me it feels like i am drunk not stoned tbh but i suppose people are different

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaylee

Staff Member

A fair comment.. It's how I equate it due to my passive nature while low.. & the need to stove into anything carby.. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook