What are your resting heart rates?

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hi I'm curious as to what the average resting heart rate is among t1's. I mostly ask because mine seems to be quite high in comparison to others that I am as physically fit as, my resting heart rate regularly lies between 85 and 100bpm while before diagnosis it was 69-70bpm.

If you're not too familiar with it; your resting heart rate is a measure of how many times your heart beats in 1 minute while you are relaxed and at rest. You can measure it by taking your pulse for 15 seconds and x4 or any simliar method.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I'm T2 so you don't really want to hear from me, but I'd like to tell you anyway, sorry. Mine was 80 (2 months ago) and is now down to 64.

Reactions: 4 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
OK, I'm T2 so you don't really want to hear from me, but I'd like to tell you anyway, sorry. Mine was 80 (2 months ago) and is now down to 64.
I still would like to hear form you :) . Did you manage to lower it through medication, diet, exercise etc?

Georgedach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still would like to hear form you :) . Did you manage to lower it through medication, diet, exercise etc?
I've had a 42, I exercise regular, mostly running. I've been a type 1 for 33 years. Surely the main way to reduce your resting HR would be through exercise. I try not to eat to much junk, I'm not saying I eat perfect by any stretch!!

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was running a lot my resting heart rate was around 50 .When I stopped for a while it rose into the high 60s. I've now started walking far more, I've walked about 240km in the last 4 weeks and this morning my resting heart rate was 54.
So for me moderate exercise seems to lower it, I never did run fast ,where I walk is quite hilly and most walks are at least 1.5hours long (average heart rate for walk 63-5%, max at about 76-80%)

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been following a low carb diet and walking for at least 30 minutes most mornings. I have lost around 16 pounds (possibly more, I weigh tomorrow) I still have a lot of weight to lose though, around 90-100 pounds, I won't know how much until I get closer to my original target weight of 10 stone 4lbs. For me, it's the exercise that has helped with lowering the heart rate. I gradually upped the speed and distance until I could no longer make myself breathless by walking fast on the flat, so then it was time to introduce slopes and hills. As for distance, I started off with only being able to walk around a mile in a day, now the most I have walked in a day is around 14 miles. The only change in my medication has been to start taking metformin, but my heart rate had already begun to improve dramatically before I started the metformin, so I am convinced it was the walking, and more importantly, the increased speed of the walking that has helped.

Georgedach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I
When I was running a lot my resting heart rate was around 50 .When I stopped for a while it rose into the high 60s. I've now started walking far more, I've walked about 240km in the last 4 weeks and this morning my resting heart rate was 54.
So for me moderate exercise seems to lower it, I never did run fast ,where I walk is quite hilly and most walks are at least 1.5hours long (average heart rate for walk 63-5%, max at about 76-80%)

I'm pretty sure exercise is the way forward in reducing your resting rate, it's a sign of fitness. As you stated you were at your highest resting HR when not getting out.......

Georgedach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True resting is also taken as you wake up in the morning. If you're gonna test your resting of a day, sit still for a few minutes. Ive also found that if you've also been exercising it'll be up on normal resting rate for upto 3 hrs after.
I find that after exercise I need to take on board less short acting insulin, especially if I eat within an hour of doing anything.

Scardoc

True resting is also taken as you wake up in the morning. If you're gonna test your resting of a day, sit still for a few minutes. Ive also found that if you've also been exercising it'll be up on normal resting rate for upto 3 hrs after.
I find that after exercise I need to take on board less short acting insulin, especially if I eat within an hour of doing anything.

Mid 40's is normal but I've never measured first thing in the morning. Definitely put it down to running and I take great pleasure when the nurse is taking my BP and the alarm goes off for a low pulse. First time that happened they sent me off for an ECG!

Georgedach - out of interest, and given you have 33 years experience!, what do you use to keep your BG levels up when running? The photo suggests fell/hill running so I'm guessing you cover some miles.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm normally between 80 and 90 I test HR and BP multiple times a day

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mid 40's is normal but I've never measured first thing in the morning. Definitely put it down to running and I take great pleasure when the nurse is taking my BP and the alarm goes off for a low pulse. First time that happened they sent me off for an ECG!

Georgedach - out of interest, and given you have 33 years experience!, what do you use to keep your BG levels up when running? The photo suggests fell/hill running so I'm guessing you cover some miles.
Yep,

we're technically/medically bradychardic ( I think that's the right spelling), adn with a very low HR, postural hypotension can be a real *****

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mines always been on the high-side but weight and exercise do reduce it that's for sure, it use to be in the low 80's but is currently down in the low 70's, the difference I think is losing a bit of weight and getting slightly fitter than I was once. GP said it was of no concern when it was in the 80's and he said he's was often in that region.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Thanks for sharing guys, the exercise I do nowadays is mostly boxing and lifting weights which are both on the anaerobic side, I'll incorporate a daily run or jog and track my progress with regard to my heart rate.

Reactions: 3 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tested mine and got a 52. I've been T1 for 31 years but do consider myself to be reasonably fit as I cycle about 150 miles a week

Reactions: 2 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a 61 year-old T2 who's halfway through the 8-week Newcastle Diet. After diagnosis last September I shed 19lbs, but since going on the diet I've got rid of another 20.

I've taken up exercise (40 mins - 1 hr/day at 5-6 mph on the running machine) as part of it all, but my resting HR hasn't budged from the low 60s it was before. What has moved, however, are the systolic/diastolic numbers, having dropped from 135/80 to usually just below 120/70.

Georgedach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Jelly babies, I use sis gels at times too. If I'm gonna be out where's it's a bit remote I like to carry some sweet fluids too.
I normally load up with about 40/50 carbs before I start off, try to mix it up. Maybe 20 carbs of something fast acting and say a large banana. I normally look to start exercise 2 hrs after a meal, loading up 1/2 hour before setting off. I know we get told to reduce our short acting dose the meal before, but if your bloods are high I find it difficult to even get off the couch, as when high I feel tired and lethargic. I don't know if any of you guys carb count, I've been doing that for a few years now and it's helped with my control. Don't get me wrong I still get caught out at times, going low, but I've find no 2 days are the same if you're on the go.