What blood Sugar level is considered to high to drive a FLT

Rsspeedy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently had a random medical at work and have been restricted from driving my forklift as he said my blood sugar level was too high I have been driving for 2 1/2 years at this job without a day of sick and none of the related symptoms. I have been searching for what is the lvl range for driving and DVLA does not state any sugar lvls is 8.3 low enough to resume driving my FLT?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine that DVLA will say anything about driving fork lift trucks, as they don't routinely go on public roads. What treatment do you have to reduce your blood glucose levels? Diet / exercise / weight reduction (if needed) / medication (if needed)?

Rsspeedy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on Metformin but have been back to Doctor who gave me note saying I am fit for normal duties and said that he now knows why doctors are over run with people being referred to them when still safe to drive

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dvla are mainly concerned with low blood levels rather than high..as far as i know there isnt a level for highs...hgv driver on insulin...ask your company what they are basing thier decision on

Reactions: gvintagedrken

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ask for more details about the policy being used to restrict you.

It may be a knee jerk "Diabetic blood sugar levels. Diabetes means hypos. No driving."

You need to confirm (I assume HR will help) that there is a valid policy and that it is being applied correctly.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't say there is an official level when considering a high as everyone is different....

In fact you could very likely operate machinery safely in double figures....

if thats the policy then thats the policy but I would ask them to justify that decision..

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is very unlikely someone will be too high to drive safely and not feel ill and have felt ill for some time.

DVLA mostly care about people who feel well enough to drive, but then "blank out", hence they care about the risk of too low BG.

IJP66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi rsspeedy

Can I ask how you got on with this as I have had the same issue at work and taken off fork lift duties because of high sugars after 26 years of driving an Flt with type 1 diabetes without any accidents caused by diabetes

I must admit my levels when first tested did need improvement as a lot of high readings
It gave me a kick up the back side and my levels have improved still need a little more work but average levels now 8.7 and getting better but still not allowed to resume driving.

Went to see my. own doctor yesterday to ask their advice and waiting on them to get back to me

All my Flt work been at the same company that I am now at. also they have records of any accidents and the trucks are monitored so they know who was driving if any damage done to them so they can see that I am driving with accidents

Could understand if lots of low readings as that's when you can lose concentration
But slightly high doesn't affect me in the same way though I know they aren't good

Thanks