What bs am I amiming for?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been testing for a week now. I range from 4.4 to 9.1 over the course of a day, depending on what I have eaten and when I test.

Am I aiming to have a level number as much as possible all the time?

Or will it always spike when fasting (morning) and 2 hours after food?

And what is the level number I should be aiming for?

I have read that post prandial should be under 8.5, but is that the ideal?

Sorry for all these questions. I have no where else to ask. Now I am testing, and seeing what happens with various foods (eg Honey is out for me) then I want to control my spikes if possible.

I read somewhere that spikes are more dangerous than keeping level, but it didnt say what that level is.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Ok here goes.

You should aim to have a stable BG's as possible as studies show better outcomes for stable BG's than very spiky ones.

The 8.5 is what's stated but many people go for 7.8. 7.8 is a magic number for two reasons. First studies show its where damage will start from (eyes, beta cells etc.). Secondly its the number that 100% of the average non diabetic population manages.

However...

Some of us aim for lower. I aim for 6.5 because thats what 19 out of 20 non diabetics achieve so at that level I'm doing as well as 95% of the non diabetic population.

Can't do it yet but my long term aim is 5.5 because that is what 3 out of 4 or 75% of non diabetics get.

However its your choice as to how much risk to take. Do it from a position of knowledge so take a read of this.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php