What can I eat between meals?

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taken off the Metformin after being on it for 2 years- I was told to try without as I have lost 15kg of weight and my glucose levels have been good. I stopped straight away- not sure if that was a good thing- maybe I should have just missed a tablet and done it over a couple of days!
I have started to test my bloods- I got 7.4 reading 2 1/2 hours after lunch yesterday- fresh mussles, a large mixed salad (lettuce, red pepper, tomato and cucumber) for pudding I had 3 small strawberries and 4 tsp cremosa sugar/fat free yoghurt
Mid afternoon I had a small pear for a snack
Evening meal reading 8.1 before (ate late as it was hot) had cold chicken, bulgar wheat salad (pepper, cue,tomato, mint and parsley) with a lemon and olive oil dressing (1tsp oil to 1/2 cup lemon juice)
3 strawberries and 2 tsp cremosa yoghurt

2 hours after finishing the meal I had a 9.5 reading. I am trying to eat to a low GI diet.

This mornings reading, before getting out of bed was 7.3 I went into town to watch an Easter procession, had breakfast in the town-1 slice of toast with a thin spread of pate and a black coffee- got a 10.4 2 hours later reading- won´t be eating that again!

What can I eat between meals as a snack if I am hungry? I want to maintain my weight loss gone from a size 16 almost to a size 12 I am eating smaller portions, which is good for my waist line but sometimes I need a snack mid meal!

Thanks

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olives, cheese and almonds or other nuts are nice snacks.

If you find you have to snack often, almost every day for example, I would eat more at meal time instead of snacking between meals.

I can´t eat bread either or any kind of grain or cereal as it makes my bg go high.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been off them for a week now, I am going back to the Dr on Wednesday, I will say I want to go back on them. We went to Sevilla on Wednesday to watch a procession, we had a 45 min walk into the center of town, walked about and then the same back to the car, my readings were 7.7 before my evening meal. I thought with all that walking I would have been lower! We had tapas for lunch- boquerones, a small piece of fried pork fillet and a chicken fillet, just bite sized and a sugar free icecream, so not excessive eating, no wine just a diet coke and a bottle of water.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested, 2 hours after finishing my meal- spicy chickpeas and 3 strawberries and 2 dessertspoons sugar/fat free yoghurt, 8.3 Not good?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm lucky, I was never allowed to eat between meals when I was a child, and never have done since. I eat three times a day, and nothing else. I sometimes get hungry before my evening meal but I find a glass of water takes it away. Try eating a little more at meal times and no snacks, see if you can do it.

trotskyite

I would avoid snacking on cheese and nuts while you want to lose weight, purely as they are so calorific. Of course add them back when you have arrived at your ideal weight. Any amount of salad veg with vinegar based dressing would be my choice.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be full of calories yes but also filling and satisfying. I find nuts, cheese and olives do the job. And look at the French, they eat cheese all the time.

Best thing is to eat proper meals that fill you up I think.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I had 4 mint viscounts the other night, but other than that I've only had a few nuts and some cheese between meals.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest cheese and nuts as snacks. Although they have calories it's the carbs that mostly cause weight gain (fat doesn't make you fat; it's the carbs)