What can I eat for breakfast??

andyrobo

hi - I am trying to reduce my carb intake - so the usual standard breakfast of cereal is out - and I cant eat eggs every day as that is too boring!

Any ideas for food that is quick to prepare in the morning, or can do the night before - I work 4 days and mornings are such a rush that I used to grab a mullerrice and take that to work with me - which now plays havoc with my sugar levels!

I am having an evening snack that means I am starting out with good 5-6 levels in the morning before breakfast, I was getting high 7's before that. When I have a cereal based breakfast I am getting readings in the 9's!

I am due back at beginning of Aug to see nurse and want to reduce my triglyceride level and reduce my 5.8 HbA1c level a bit. Working on the exercise 4 times a week to reduce waist circumference as well - not sure how I find the time to go to work!!!

Thanks

Andrea :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Andrea,

Breakfast is a bit of an issue for lots of people, especially the cereal-killers! Me, I never get tired of bacon and eggs, so I'm sorted.

Nothing quite so quick as a few slices of cooked meat, maybe some leafy salad, cheese and olives. My wife swears by natural yogurt with some berries and nuts.

All the best,

fergus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i know its not the weather for it but my dietician gave me a tip to try porridge for supper breakfast,i did and my sugars and cholesterol are lower
totsy

andyrobo

thanks - just bought some almonds today - ok for evening snack.

Will try porridge for supper and then breakfast - just waiting for some new test stips to run out - dont get them off GP so have to bu on-line. Just doing the testing 5 out of 7 days to keep the cost down and to get an idea of what foods suit me.

Wish there was a good alternative to bread though!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can give you a recipe for a wonderful low-carb bread if you like, Andrea.

I hadn't eaten bread for years until I figured this out, but a whole 400g loaf has only 22g carbohydrate in total. My blood sugars hardly move after a slice, so it looks like I'm eating bread again.

All the best,

fergus

andyrobo

fergus

Thanks for the bread recipe - will try to make some this week if get a chance to get the ingredients. Got my eye test tomorrow, so may need to have a lazy day!

Andrea

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi rhu,

You can pick up soya protein isolate powder at Holland & Barratt if you have one locally. Failling that, you could use soya flour. It's a bit higher in carbohydrate, but most health food shops will have bags of the stuff for next to nothing.

All the best,

fergus