What damage does a liver dump or dawn phenomena cause?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I am pretty ignorant about what happens but had thought that the body would be using up fat stores which are already there and that could be a good thing. :?

Now I don’t know what to think as someone else said it had messed up their numbers in some way. This made me think about my numbers in the last 2-3 weeks which, during a rotten cold and cough, were higher than I would have expected – or is that different again?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It doesn't do any damage.....it is a natural process which has been explained here many times.
See this link to the DP, liver dump is the same process, just at different times.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7885&hilit=+dawn+phenomenon#p73438

It will raise your Bg levels so I suppose you might consider that 'damage', however it is not by massive amounts. So is more an inconvenience than anything else.

jopar

another thing you've mention

You say that you had higher BG's than expected but you have had a cold and been unwell, this is most likely the cause of your increased bg, infections, colds even stress can have a impact on our BG's in general causing them to increase..

Some medications such as steriods also increase blood glucose in the diabetic..

Synonym

Dislikes
Thank you, it is always reassuring to know that you don’t need to worry about something. :D

So now I know it isn’t going to do damage but is there anything good that comes out of it? For example in order to increase the blood sugars does the body use up its fat stores?

And whilst I appreciate that illness of any kind puts up the blood sugars does that use up your fat stores?

I am looking hard to find some good news. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
From my earlier post.

So, what does all this have to do with a high fasting BG? Overnight, usually between 4am and 11am, your body releases some hormones. These are Growth Hormone (GH) from the anterior pituitary gland, cortisol from the adrenal cortex, glucagon from your pancreatic alpha-cells, and epinephrine (adrenalin). These hormones cause an increase in insulin resistance, raising your BG. In addition, these hormones trigger glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis, adding stored or new glucose to your bloodstream.

This is an explanation of Gluconeogenesis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

This is an explanation of Glycogenolysis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogenolysis

Synonym

Dislikes
Thank you very much for your input Sue and Cugila. Yes, I like the fact that it makes one feel better, Sue! :)

And trawling through all that lot I hope (if I have interpreted it correctly) the short answer is ‘yes’ as in the glucose which goes in to store as fat eventually comes out as in the fat store being burned.

But then if the high BG increases the insulin resistance then I would suppose that is not so good.

A bit of a see-saw effect but eventually balanced fairly evenly. Clearly we are indeed “fearfully and wonderfully made”!