What do people carry with them in case of hypos?

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do people carry with them in case of hypos? In the last 2 weeks I’ve had readings of 4.1,3.4 and 2.8 on waking up from an afternoon nap. All 3 were at home so was able to eat some fruit. My symptoms were very blurry vision, but otherwise feeling OK.

I would like something easy to carry in a pocket and would not end up a sticky mess in the hot weather. Recommendations would be gratefully received.

Reactions: NaijaChick

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glucotabs or a bottle of Glucojuice (60ml).

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly Babies. They are 5g carbs each, lift my BG by one, in just a couple of minutes. I find two fit in an old testing strip canister and I have them stored everywhere! In the car, pockets of all my coats, saddle bag on my bike.....

And best of all they are NICE!

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What medication are you on? Gliclazide can cause hypos and if you are taking this then maybe you need a lower dosage.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin SR 1000mg twice a day. Gliciazide 160 mg morning 80mg evening. Atorvastatin 40mg. Ramipril 10mg
Sounds like you need to contact your GP about stopping taking Gliclazide as hypos can be dangerous when driving.

D

Deleted Account

I used to be Dextrose but, although the tablets are heat proof, the paper wrapper was not so strong.
So I moved on to Glucotabs which come in a plastic tube. You can get bigger jars to decant into the tubes.

The advantages of these tablets are they are easy to carry around, you can accurately control how many carbs you take and they are not sweets so you are unlikely to find your "loved one" felt like one when you weren't around.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
What do people carry with them in case of hypos? In the last 2 weeks I’ve had readings of 4.1,3.4 and 2.8 on waking up from an afternoon nap. All 3 were at home so was able to eat some fruit. My symptoms were very blurry vision, but otherwise feeling OK.

I would like something easy to carry in a pocket and would not end up a sticky mess in the hot weather. Recommendations would be gratefully received.
Definitely glucose tabs. No mess and very effective.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin SR 1000mg twice a day. Gliciazide 160 mg morning 80mg evening. Atorvastatin 40mg. Ramipril 10mg

I second @Art Of Flowers 's advice to speak to your GP or nurse. Your medication might need adjusting. Give them a call and tell them what's happening. Hopefully then your low sugars will be reduced.

If you do drive, then follow the advice and test before driving. The guidance is '5 to,drive', but many people prefer to be a little higher than that for safety. However, if your blood sugar is erratic and can drop,suddenly, then it might be better to leave driving until you've spoken to your doctor/nurse.

Glucose tablets or a sugary drink like Lucozde or full sugar Coke can bring up blood sugar quickly.

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies. I am seeing the diabetic consultant tomorrow. It seems my morning meds are NOT acting quickly enough? On waking BS 5.6 before breakfast 7.6 Had porridge for breakfast @ 11am 2 hours later BS 12.1 Had 2 pieces of dry toast 2 hours after BS 12.4 Had some cheese 2 hours later BS 5.5 4 hours after the cheese 4.1. 30 minutes later 2.9 had an apple BS 4.8
1 hour after the apple 2.9 again.

Somethings not right.

Last edited:

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw the diabetic consultant today and she has cut my morning Gliciazide from 160 mg to 80 mg. And told me to cut down on the carbohydrates.

steven elvin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry juice, isotnic to be exact, 500ml bottle......a liquid is the best choice all be it not the easiest to carry round at all times.....

small cartons of fruit juice will do the job too and are exactly what you need to treat, so less risk of going high afterwards....and easier to carry....

Reactions: geemacwilly