What do you do about air bubbles?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... If you spot an air bubble in your tubing, what do you do...?

I changed my set earlier so I don't think it's a malfunction or anything -- I obviously didn't get rid of them all... And I've just seen a relatively large bubble... Would you leave it or would you prime it out...?

I'm not particularly worried about losing the insulin cos it's only one bubble, just more if it's 'bad' to let air bubbles go into me...?

All learning... :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If you have a bubble wait till it gets to the end of tubing and remove it.
No it's not a malfunction just someone not filling there cartridge properly :p

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CarbsRock is right. Just prime them out when near the end of tubing.

It's not exactly "bad" if the air goes in your body (i.e. not fatal) but you would be getting air instead of insulin and could go hyper.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brill, thanks both... Knew it was my mistake, just wasn't entirely sure how to rectify it...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Brill, thanks both... Knew it was my mistake, just wasn't entirely sure how to rectify it...
When you fil your cartridge make sure insulin is at room temp, inject air into space in the vial and not the insulin, then very slowly fill the cartridge, tape cartridge gently to make sure any air that is in the cartridge goes back into the vial then carry on filling. Double check on completion for bubbles and away you go. :)

Edited as left word out

Last edited by a moderator:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you fil your cartridge make sure insulin is at room temp, inject air into space in the vial and not the insulin, then very slowly fill the cartridge, tape cartridge gently to make sure any air that is in the cartridge goes back into the vial then carry on filling. Double check on completion bubbles and away you go. :)

If you still get bubbles, try warming insulin to body temperature (I stick the vial in my bra). If you still get bubbles, tap for longer - or not quite so gently.

iHs

I think its true to say that people can use various ways to fill cartridges I tend to keep my vials in the fridge so that I know where the insulin is and also a vial might last me a bit more than 30 days. I fill my cartridges with cold insulin and then get them up to body temp for a few hrs and then insulin warms up and a nice bubble stsrts to appear which can be gently flicked up the top of cartridge and then sharp flick against the neck to make bubble go up in to the neck where the tube attaches. Next bit is attach the tube and push the cartridge plunger up a tiny bit so that bubble goes up into the tube. Load cartridge into the pump and then let piston rod find the bottom of the cartridge, activate prime and then watch bubble make its way to the other end of the tube and out through the tube clip. Job done

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Prime it out, if you've ever had an air bubble go in you, you WILL NOT want another one to, stings like a ***** - or maybe that's just me lol