What do you do with sharps when out and about.

ClaireG 06

I am due to start insulin on Monday and just wonderd what you do with any sharps you might have when out and about. I don't really want to take my sharps bin everywhere! I did think of using an old strips pot and then emptying that into my sharps bin when i get home but would like to hear what you all do.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ClaireG 06 said:
I am due to start insulin on Monday and just wonderd what you do with any sharps you might have when out and about. I don't really want to take my sharps bin everywhere! I did think of using an old strips pot and then emptying that into my sharps bin when i get home but would like to hear what you all do.

Got it in one for myself. Old strips pot, quite handy!

Spearmint

That is exactly what we do, use 1 or 2 old test strip pots!!

If we are staying overnight anywhere then i take a small square plastic box with a locking lid and use that - it has flaps that fold down and 'lock' over each of the 4 edges.

jopar

Test strips can be chucked into a normal household bin at home or out, they aren't classed as clinical waste, this is also the same for the multi-click lancet drums, never can cause a finger stick injury..

Needles and single lancets, Well needles can go back in the cover and back into the slot for spare needles in the pen box no probs, lancet if you change stap the old into the cover from the fresh one, and tuck it into the pocket in meter case!

My empty cartridge and vial go straight into household waste always have done..

I now use a pump, so things are slightly different, as I only change infusions sets every 3 days..

When I on holiday which isn't that often due to I won't put my dogs into kennels, so if my dogs can't come I don't go! But when I do I go back to the old ways of disposing of kit..

Old drinks can, everything goes in there then taped over and slung in the dust bin!

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I have a clipper which we had on prescription. You just clip the needle off the end and throw the rest of the casing away. This clipper will hold the little clippings for ever and ever amen.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Old strip pots great to take in your handbag with you for the sharps , for the fellas also the gals morrisons sell tiny childrens tupperware box ideal to pop in pocket of coat . Anna.x

ClaireG 06

Thanks :D I always put used strips straight in the bin anyway and i do the same as you with lancets :D Have just checked the box my pens come in and theres no place for needles. I'm going to be using disposable pens. Not sure a clipper would work with my needle type will ask the DSN. I usually go to Morrisons Anna so will look out for those boxes :D

RussG

Both the disposable pens and the reusable pens use the same needles, so the safeclip device will work with either - they're easy to get on prescription. I have a Joe's small-in-one case that I carry my insulin and meter in and my used needles get the cap put back on and then go back into the case until I get home. If I'm away for a couple of days, I use a lock and lock box as others have said.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The old test strip pots are ideal.

Nigel

jopar

The safeclip is a sturdy bit of kit indeed

I ran over my old one with the car, not a scratch on it and still worked :lol: Just a pity it was in my meter case and the meter didn't fair as well :oops:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Same as I do with single use, catheters
Pop in the disabled Loo drop them in the Nasties bin its normally the smaller bin out of the two

if its only sharps for a day or two would take them home with me