Other

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Unfortunately I think a lot of people, myself included, tend to know about or hear about Liver damage due to alcohol problems.
I will try and have a look later on.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The reality of what the liver does, and what it can survive is quite surprising.

As I mentioned with the alcohol related problems with the liver, it hit home to me and my daughter when her dad died 2 years ago, a very nasty way to die, just awful. I will look at the livers function in more detail later on.

RRB

Reactions: 3 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some interesting points to look at. Thanks Douglas99.
I also think "how we should avoid a fatty liver long term" may be quite interesting for diabetics.

K

Kat100

As I mentioned with the alcohol related problems with the liver, it hit home to me and my daughter when her dad died 2 years ago, a very nasty way to die, just awful. I will look at the livers function in more detail later on.

RRB
Dear RRB. So sorry about this great sadness ...what an awful thing to happen ...my feelings and thoughts are with you as we discuss this subject, you will of had to cope with a lot ...tc Kat I always think that both you and your daughter are amazing ....x

sarahlou72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is almost 5 years since I lost my mum to liver disease. She was 2 weeks away from her 70th birthday.
Apparently it could have started 15-20 year before and no symptoms had shown until the last 18 months of her life.
My mum wasn't a drinker. Don't get me wrong she liked a tipple as much as me and you.
At the time of her going into the hospital she was on 12 tablets a day, Metformin, Wafarin, a prescription diuretic, to name a few.
My mum had constant bouts of diarrhea and sickness and always blamed something she ate.
She would complain about her hair thinning (a symptom)
In September 2009 she had a stroke
We got her home, but she was in and out of hospital upto May. We thought she was having mini strokes, hospital told is it was a water infection and her electrolytes were low.
In May 2010 she had a fall, she was taken to the hospital and it while she was there she we were told of the liver disease, and told 3 or 4 times "the next 24 hours are crucial", but she held on. In the end the hospital was only caring for her and couldn't do anything else to treat her. She was moved to a nursing home. Still she held on she had a good days and bad.
Then we got a call from the nursing home., her organs were shutting down.
It was heartbreaking watching my mum deteriorate the way she did.

Sorry to go on, my main point is, it's not just alcohol that causes liver damage.

Anyway, I've included a link for the british liver trust.

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry about your mum. 69 is no age these days.

I have fatty liver too - Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. I have had this for about 10 years or more and it does cause digestive upsets and malabsorption problems. I have only a few days ago been diagnosed with diabetes and I can't help but think that the two are related in some way. There's a standing joke in our family that all the way back to our great-grandparents, none of the family could tolerate alcohol and everyone had diabetes!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that almost all Type 2's are likely to have fatty liver by the time they are diagnosed - it seems to be part and parcel of metabolic syndrome.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the How Healthy Is Your Liver ? test. It appears that despite not eating cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks or having takeaways, just stating yes to three meals a day got the response that my diet is too high in rubbish - and the response included... the Eat Well Plate. Eating three meals a day (I do most days) was the only yes I clicked on.

My LFT was abnormal in 2012, five years after diagnosis and I was judged anaemic too. GP wanted another blood test in 2 weeks. In between the two tests, started eating organic. There was a noticeable positive improvement in my health markers.

On a Swedish documentary, a family of four was tested for pesticides and then given organic food. Within a week the pesticides had started disappearing and within a month, most had gone completely.

I try to use natural cosmetics, cleaning products and toiletries because the liver has to process every chemical you stick in or on you.

Last edited by a moderator: