what do you pack for your child snack box etc

heart01

Hi my daughter 4 1/2 was diagnosed with T1 6 weeks ago and is starting big school....I am still learning about her illness and would like some advice from other parents about what you pack for them in there snack boxes......Do you have a seperate box for snacks and Hypos........how much medication needles etc do you send in to school.......My daughter is to inject at school during lunchtime and test her blood sugars but she can not seem to differentiate betwee a Hypo and Hyper.......and wants food when her sugars are really high!!!

leggott

Hi, 2 of my children have type 1 and my son started school last year about the same age as your daughter. I sent them both in with some fruit which they had mid morning (about 2 hours after they had breakfast). They would also eat a jelly baby or glucose tablet before taking part in PE.
My children both have different requirements and it took a few weeks of school to get things under control and understand how play time , PE etc affected their BG.
As far as blood testing is concerned it is advisable to discuss this with the school and draw up some sort of plan. It may be that for the first few weeks you go into the school and do a few extra blood tests and then when she has settled in you reduce the number. It really depends on her routine and how stable her levels are. My son often goes to the office thinking his sugar is low when in fact it is on the high side, but on talking with my husband (who is also type 1) he says that the feelings can be quite similar, so it's a good thing that she can pick up on both and a blood test will tell them whether she is hypo or not. Leggott

Matt1212

Hi , our 6 year old child is in her second year at school , we would go in at lunchtime to test her and inject the required amount of insulin based on carb counting. Our daughter keeps a blood testing kit in her school bag and self tests at morning break and teacher check the reading to ensure all is OK (i.e not low) No insulin/needles are kept in school as we bring them with us at lunchtime.

Not sure of the regime ie MDI etc that your daughter is on , so requirements may be different.

We have prepared a hypo box for the teacher (150ml coke "real" cans , biscuits etc) plus a guide to her specific hypo symptoms. This also contains detail on how to treat a hypo based on diabetes UK info.

Is your daughter to inject herself ?

good luck
Matt

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I pack up a pikelet (10gm carb), a small tub yogurt (7 gm carb), a piece of cheese, meat and veg in a microwave container (10 gm carb) and a some fruit. I also put a spare little fruit puree in his lunch box and have a very good hypo kit in a separate container.

I go up and do his insulin at lunch so I also see what his bsl was and tell them when to do the next one. Khaleb is too young for school but goes to a little daycare for 5 hours/1 day per week. He also goes to an Early Learning Centre for 2.5 hours/2 days per week and only needs morning tea. Funnily enough he has had 2 hypos at the Early Learning Centre and none at daycare.