What do you snack on?

RussG

Hi all,

I'm just working into my insulin regime and am finding I'm hungry before the four hours are up. What do people snack on? I'm getting a bit bored of chicken drumsticks (never thought I'd say that), almonds, cheese etc. Any ideas for healthy, reasonably interesting snacks between meals?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to avoid eating between meals (I do though, but then my whole diet is very poor so don't do what I do!). You shouldn't need to, what are your blood sugar levels when you are hungry like this?

RussG

I'm only ten days into taking insulin, so my levels are both still a bit high and quite erratic. I'm experiencing hypo like warning symptoms at around 5.5 to 6.5, due I think to having been pretty high for quite a while. I know that's not hypo territory but it feels a bit like.

I'm running about 12 as an average at the moment but have been as high as 21 after food. We've just started adjusting my doses (8 of Lantus, 2,3,and 4 of Apidra daily).

I've not really tracked levels when hungry, so will do that, but I think it's generally when I'm high or when my levels are rising. I also think that when I get a bit shaky, I'm overdoing the eating to compensate. For whatever reason, I can sometimes go more than 4-5 hours without eating but often find I'm struggling a bit after about 3.5 hours.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
False hypos are common if you have had high levels for a while, your body is like 'omg it's so much lower than usual some thing must be wrong'. Those levels (5.5-6.5) are fine. CHECK WITH YOUR NURSE but I don't think you should be treating them as hypos.

12 as an average is very very high, but I'm sure you've been told that. The nurse or doctor might have already explained but they start the insulin on a deliberately low dose, and increase to what it needs to be, to be on the safe side.

You shouldn't be having problems going 5 hours without food, when you say you're struggling after 3.5 hours do you mean your blood sugar is low then or that you are hungry?

RussG

Thanks HLW,

Yes - I am hoping to bring my levels down pretty soon. I was running much higher for quite a few months before being sent for tests to check my type and after two suspected DKA episodes. I know 5.5 to 6.5 is actually an ideal result before a meal, but at the moment I do feel pretty rough, especially under six. I get very shaky, flushed and a bit nauseous. Not all the time, but certainly three or four times over the last 10 days. I'll discuss it with the nurse tomorrow.

On the dosing side, yes am clear that I'm on low doses to begin, and these are being raised gradually. Actually the DN here at Liverpool that I am seeing has been really good. I know plenty of people have had poor experiences with HCPs (oh boy, as have I) but these have been excellent.

I'm generally getting pretty hungry after three and a bit hours at points. What I find is that if I run it beyond 4-5 hours, I then find I want to eat loads before I get full. I have been quite a grazer recently so perhaps it's just adapting to a different pattern of eating.

Thank you for your comments though. Reassurance is definitely welcome.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck! I don't know how long it will take you to adjust to the new levels, but hopefully not too long.