What do you think?

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
I've been on 2000mgs of metformin daily for the last year, and my GP insists that is the maximum dose allowable. I am pretty sure I've read that the maximum dosage is 3000mgs per day and wonder if anyone else is on this dosage?
I would also like to ask how and when people take their medication, as Doc insists I take them at structured intervals, one on rising, one late afternoon and two prior going to bed. I wonder if I might be better off taking them when I actually eat, eg. breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Seems silly to be searching around for something suitable to take them with at other times.
Val

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Val.

If the Metformin is the 'normal' kind then the maximum dose is 3000mg daily. I was on that for some considerable time before all meds were finally stopped. Your GP is probably sticking to what is in the BNF, Consultants can often prescribe more than the 2g daily listed there.

If it is Metformin MR/SR then the maximum is 2000mg.

Medication should be taken in accordance with the prescribing information given by your GP. However, if we are talking about the Metformin it is usually supposed to be taken with or after your meal.

Hope that helps.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Read the leaflet which your pharmacist put into the box. It will tell you maximum dose for the specific Metformin you have
Hana

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
thanks cugila, it is the bog standard Metformin, and I think I will try the timing my way, as my GP is still telling me to have a "nice big bowl of porridge" :x which makes me tend to switch off when he hands out instructions! Thanks for the confirmation on the maximum dosage :)
Val

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Hanadr, the dispensary rarely give me the Metformin other than in a plain white box, and there is never a leaflet!
Val

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Val.

There should always be a Patient Information leaflet with your meds. If there isn't then you should make a point of asking for it.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Hi cugila, I am changing from the surgery dispensary to Boots next week, as usually out of 24 items per month the surgery have only ever managed a best of 21 :x . I expect things will be different when Boots do it. The young girl at the surgery gives you a vacant look if you speak anything other than your name, so I usually look up any new meds for myself :roll: . How I wish we lived in a world where everyone was as perfect as me :twisted:
Val