1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What does nerve damage feel like?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Alicia R, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Alicia R

Alicia R Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a kid and would sometimes lie to my parents about what I ate at school or at friends' homes. (I know, I was bad!) In my defense, I was just a kid. I didn't understand what eating sweets meant at the time; I thought I was getting punished for having diabetes and didn't know the repercussions of eating sweets. So, I sneaked around for the first several years. Suffice it to say, the complications came on quickly. I was the only kid in my school who wore ugly diabetic shoes. The other kids didn't understand why I was tired so much of the time and didn't feel well enough to play and preferred to sit. My feet always hurt and were numb at the same time, and it made walking hard, let alone running and playing sports! But, I would trade that in for what I've got now! I thought I knew pain then, but I really know it now! I'm actually weaning myself off Lyrica for nerve pain (the Lyrica's making me suicidal!) and the pain is back full force! What does nerve damage feel like to you? For me, it's mainly in my feet. Thanks for sharing!

2. forge

forge Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pins and needles and generally sore feet.

The worry is of course amputations.

3. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A bad case of pins and needles. It can also feel like walking on marbles or a pebble beach with nothing on your feet. Shooting pains but also numbness. A burning feeling and cold feet. I get all of these and it sometimes wakes me during the night. I find that having my legs lower that my body helps greatly. Amitriptyline is a big help for me but I only take 10mg as a higher dose turns me into a zombie.

4. rowan

rowan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amitriptyline does that to me so I was changed to nortriptyline, same thing but without the sedative.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alicia R

Alicia R Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel! I can remember a time before the pins and needles and pain set in, for a while I felt like ice water was surging through my veins! And then the numbness and pebbles in my shoes feeling sunk in, and that God-awful feeling of pressure on your toes even when you're sitting. For me, it's different -- I feel better when my legs are elevated, when I sit for too long with my feet down, it not only burns but they swell up, too! That's a woman for you! I'm weaning myself off Lyrica now (it makes me suicidal!), but at one point my doctor put me on something that starts with an "M" and it, too, turned me into a zombie! I felt like I was trapped inside my own head, I couldn't talk or move and my gaze was fixated -- but my mind was racing! Mind-altering drugs suck big time! So does nerve pain. :-(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

For me, it's like having broken glass grind into the soles of your feet, or electric shocks. My finger tips are numb to the touch, but, again, the same as my feet if they rub hard against something rough.
    I am on 3200mg of gabapentin and 400mg of tramadol a day. And yes, it is worse without.

7. msmi1970

msmi1970 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

feel like i don't have any legs from the below the knees....

8. Pura Vida

Pura Vida Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My right foot feels like my socks are all wrinkled and bumpy.

9. rowan

rowan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That describes perfectly how mine feel (along with the stabbing pains) I'm forever checking my socks to make sure there's no creases. Is that neuropathy?

10. DannyMac

DannyMac Type 2 · Member

Yes feels like pins and needles but I find it worse at night when in bed also feel the numbness worse then the thing that sup rises me is when I go for foot checks they are happy with results telling me I have good sensation on my feet only feel actual pain when been walking any distance or standing to long
    so don't think of it much as long as you remember how important it is to look after your feet and keep checking them

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook