what does the future hold

dot

Thinking ahead to my son's future, I am quite sure that I don't (and nor does he) want his diabetes to rule his life.

However, I am aware that he may face various health issues and complications as he gets older, but nobody has said what they are, how likely he is to be affected, how far off they are, or what can be done to proactively minimise their effect on him.

Could someone tell me please?

lionrampant

From personal experience all I can say is keep in shape. When he goes to uni he'll want to join a gym, etc. Other than that... it's anyone's guess. I needed lasers shot at one eye because my average BG levels CAME DOWN too fast.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi dot,

Long term complications are a risk of course, but in my view they are almost exclusively a consequence of one or two underlying conditions - abnormal (elevated) blood sugars and abnormal (also usually elevated) insulin levels.
There are many potential cosequences of poorly controlled diabetes, from neurological damage to organ damage, cardiovascular damage etc. etc.
Blood sugars are controllable with insulin, diet and exercise and many type 1's are able to maintain non-diabetic levels using this toolkit. Insulin levels are entirely controllable of course, which is an enormous advantage.
Lots of t1's have the condition for many years with no complications at all, myself included thankfully.

All the best,

fergus

KimSuzanne

I've been where your at with your son at the moment, you need to mak sure he has all the neccessart information that he needs about his diabetes, Tell him to be prepared for anything dextrose tablets in the car in bags and hypostop nearby.
You don't have to tell everyone about it but ensure that 2 close friends know, I went through the 2 years at college and no-one knew. Unfortunately it is one of those things that will have an affect on his life good and bad, its all about compromise.
All you can do is support him, let him know that you will always be there for him whatever happens and that he will learn to compromise earlier than most people. You have to go with the highs, lows, good and bad. It will make him more responsible and stronger as he grows up.