What does your child have to eat?

lexie32

Ben is Type1, 5 years old very tall for his age and eats for england, he was diagnosed last Oct and still in the honeymoon phase, we have been advised to keep his diet as healthy normal as possible but what does that mean???

for example a usual day would consist of

breakfast - 1 muller lite youghurt and 50g dry bran flakes ( he won't eat milk and loves them funny child)

mid morning snack of fruit at school

Lunch - 1 round of brown granary type bread sandwiches with usually ham or cheese filling, cucumber or carrot sticks ,1 piece of fruit and 2 small ginger bread men

Mid afternoon snack of fruit at school

tea - pasta bolognaise, and a treat i try to keep to under 10g carbs for example a minimilk, small twister icecream or a time out bar

bed time 1 or 2 plain digestive biscuits if his bs level is below 6.5

we are managing ok bs levels as long as he isn't ill and his 1st hba1c was 7.1, is this what you would call a normal diet, when i ask my friends what they give their children some are manically healthy and only give sweets biscuits once a week and some kids just seem to live off junk. would love to hear what other type 1 kids eat by the way Ben is on 4 injections a day novorapid and lantus.

Alex

leggott

Hi, I would say that my five year olds diet is very similar to that. We try and restrict chocolate to the weekends and they don't often eat crisps (may be 2 bags a month). We give fruit & yogurt for puddings and sometimes a small mini milk or custard. We also use granary/wholemeal bread and like you we go for the healthier cereals, like bran flakes / porridge and weetabix. My kids have a fruit snack mid morning and normally after school too. They have packed lunch at school which comprises of a sandwhich, fruit and yogurt or small biscuit. I always cook a meal from scratch and I always do streamed veg with every meal. Bed time snacks vary depending on their reading, but this may be a small glass of milk, cheddar biscuits or fruit. They tend to drink water throughout the day and have may be one glass of juice at breakfast and 1 glass of no added sugar squash with their evening meal.

I have friends who also say their kids don't have lots of treats, but I've noticed that they eat a lot of white bread and high sugar cereals, ususally followed by lots of yogurts which tend to be loaded with sugar. They also use a lot of convenience foods which have sugar & salt added, so really their diets are not as healthy as they are proclaiming!

I think it's all about balance. It sounds like your sons diet is healthy to me and you have also achieved an excellent HBA1c, which is not easy in a child of that age.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your son's diet looks healthy to me. Like Leggott I make all my meals from scratch so I know exactly what's going into them, it's amazing the amount of salt and sugar hiding in convenience meals. When we do pasta for tea I usually serve it with steamed vegetables or a side salad. Also read the labels on yoghurts, some have quite a lot of sugar in them, I buy the natural yoghurt and sweeten it by adding a little maple or agave syrup (or you can sweeten it with honey too). Jess doesn't like her yoghurt too sweet so I can control how much sweetening goes into it and that results in a low sugar yoghurt. Jess also doesn't like milk added to her breakfast cereals, she eats them dry out of the bowl with a glass of milk on the side. She likes dry weetabix with a thin spread of margarine and marmite. Some children's breakfast cereals are shocking with the amount of sugar in them, it's good to see your son likes a healthier type. That's a good HbA1c, well done :)