What Factors Influence Fasting Blood Glucose?

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really ought to know this but clearly don't, hence the question :facepalm:

Background: diagnosed prediabetic last Christmas after two GD, insulin-dependent pregnancies. Had been prediabetic before (between pregnancies) but weight loss and rather more exercise than previously taken sorted that out. Weight now slap-bang in middle of normal BMI range, exercise for at least 45 minutes five days a week, carb intake hovering around 90g / day or thereabouts. Was back down to normal FBG levels.

This morning I woke up and did my monthly home FBG test: 6.9mmol/l. Yikes! I know there's a margin of error of up to 20% but that's still a LOT higher than my last few results. So what factors influence a FBG level? It was that level before I started moving this morning (around 07h00) and it's still there now, an hour later, after some light walking around.

I barely drink any more, so no alcohol last night. The last things I ate in the hour before going to bed (around 22h00) were berry compote (blackcurrants, redcurrants, raspberries, small quantity of Truvia (6g carb)), Greek yogurt (4g carb), a homemade chocolate peanut butter brownie (2 g carb).

I had a works do earlier in the day and cheated on the low carb: had four small macarons. But that would have been around 11h00 so the moderate sugar overload should have been well clear of the system by then.

I've recently started taking my contraceptive pill at bedtime so that it's well away from my thyroid meds. Other bedtime meds include 1000mg vitamin C, 320mg ferrous fumarate, monteleukast and 600mg lithium.

I didn't sleep very well because of the heat.

I know that for people who are diabetic already hot weather can play merry hell with blood glucose levels, but what about in non-diabetics. Is it the same for them?

Any and all thoughts appreciated. I do hope this isn't the beginning of the end in terms of my glucose control. (And yes, I realise that one reading isn't statistically valid but it's still one hell of a shock to see :eek:.)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You only test once a month? How old are your test strips and how long since you opened the box?

If I were you I'd test every morning for a while and possible at meal times too. The occasional high reading is ok, might be because you didn't sleep well for example, what you need to look for is trends.

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You only test once a month? How old are your test strips and how long since you opened the box?

If I were you I'd test every morning for a while and possible at meal times too. The occasional high reading is ok, might be because you didn't sleep well for example, what you need to look for is trends.
My strips are new and my meter calibrated. I generally only test once per month to look for FBG trends as I'm 'only' prediabetic; low carb has / had kind of removed the need to test more often.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My strips are new and my meter calibrated. I generally only test once per month to look for FBG trends as I'm 'only' prediabetic; low carb has / had kind of removed the need to test more often.
New as in you opened the box yesterday?

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New as in I opened the box two weeks ago. They are kept in a cool, dry place.