What food to pack for a 3 day hike?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of doing a three day hiking trip some time in spring (probably Sept) and it will involve carrying everything with us except for water (well carrying some water of course, but there will be places to refill along the track).

I've never done a trek like this before, and I always envisaged taking lots of dehydrated stuff like noodles etc if I ever did one. But now with my low carb diet (which is working really well for me BTW) I'm kind of uncertain what I'm going to pack for food.

I know I'll need a small light weight tent and sleeping bag, and a few warm cloths because it's in the mountains, so obviously I don't want too much extra weight for food if I can avoid it.

Can anyone think of some good suggestions for items of food I could pack. :)

BTW. This is the walk.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Foot_Track
- http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/blue-mountains-national-park/six-foot-walking-track/walking/map

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Man I hate it when you make a typo in the title of a thread and can't edit it. :banghead:

I meant to say a "3 day hike". Yes we really do speak English here in Australia. :p

EDIT: Many thanks to the moderator who fixed it for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that sounds fab. Is Sept spring for you? But still pretty chilly up there. Assuming you have a stove, are there dried soups that won't hurt your BS? Tea & coffee. Nuts & seeds, cheese, cold preserved meat like salami & pepperoni, pickled eggs, pickled onions, olives and I dare suggest dried fruit eaten on the hoof to work off the sugar. I make almond flour cheese "bread" that will last for three days (no preservatives) and is quite filling but you need a drink with it sometimes.
At this point I need some expert help for more substantial food to keep you going. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I might spend the next few months diligently researching, sampling and testing low carb flapjack style bars and fat bombs.

I wonder if there is a workable Paleo recipe for pemmican...

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I think I might spend the next few months diligently researching, sampling and testing low carb flapjack style bars and fat bombs.

I wonder if there is a workable Paleo recipe for pemmican...
Packs of almonds,walnuts,85% bars chocolate,.......peanut butter,

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that sounds fab. Is Sept spring for you? But still pretty chilly up there.
Yeah it's finding a compromise between cold nights and hot days. The date isn't set yet but I'm thinking late September or early October.

That almond flour cheese bread sounds like a good idea. I had thought of nuts and seeds but I hadn't though about making something like that. Great idea I'll definitely do some experimenting over winter and see what I can cook up. :)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Packs of almonds,walnuts,85% bars chocolate,.......peanut butter,
Yep, and peanuts in the shell too. I don't know what it is about peanuts in there shell but it's a food I love to eat sitting around a camp fire.

I'll be getting lots of exercise so a bit of carbohydrate wont hurt. I think I'll take few apples for fibre as well.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that sounds fab. Is Sept spring for you? But still pretty chilly up there. Assuming you have a stove, are there dried soups that won't hurt your BS? Tea & coffee. Nuts & seeds, cheese, cold preserved meat like salami & pepperoni, pickled eggs, pickled onions, olives and I dare suggest dried fruit eaten on the hoof to work off the sugar. I make almond flour cheese "bread" that will last for three days (no preservatives) and is quite filling but you need a drink with it sometimes.
At this point I need some expert help for more substantial food to keep you going. Best of luck!
Almond flour cheese bread recipe please!! Again !! I. Want to eat it !!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Once again my thanks to the original poster of this ...
I wonder if the mixture could be rolled out to make cheese straws. I might try that too.
Maybe I should repeat that it's solid and can be quite dry, so you may get a mouthful of eternal crumbs, but I find that's good for chomping on. Must be an infantile throwback ... stick something in his mouth and shut him up. Works for me :)

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz (300g) ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs (155g) grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my god I can't restrain my drooling. I won't be able to try making this till 7pm tonite !! How am I going to get any work done ??? Thank you thank you Deejay xxxx

I missed bread. Lucy

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once again my thanks to the original poster of this ...
I wonder if the mixture could be rolled out to make cheese straws. I might try that too.

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz (300g) ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs (155g) grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

lo carb cheese straws sound gud 2 me! :)

I'm thinking of doing a three day hiking trip some time in spring (probably Sept) and it will involve carrying everything with us except for water (well carrying some water of course, but there will be places to refill along the track).

I've never done a trek like this before, and I always envisaged taking lots of dehydrated stuff like noodles etc if I ever did one. But now with my low carb diet (which is working really well for me BTW) I'm kind of uncertain what I'm going to pack for food.

I know I'll need a small light weight tent and sleeping bag, and a few warm cloths because it's in the mountains, so obviously I don't want too much extra weight for food if I can avoid it.

Can anyone think of some good suggestions for items of food I could pack. :)

BTW. This is the walk.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Foot_Track
- http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/blue-mountains-national-park/six-foot-walking-track/walking/map
I have been giving this dilemma some thought also. I suggest that you take some beef jerky. It's light to carry, you can get several different flavours, it's readily available in Aus and it's pure protein. Requires plenty of chewing so no risk of overeating here!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been giving this dilemma some thought also. I suggest that you take some beef jerky. It's light to carry, you can get several different flavours, it's readily available in Aus and it's pure protein. Requires plenty of chewing so no risk of overeating here!
Just accidentally found this. May need a honey substitute.
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/jerkubeefmak3