What fruit is good for you?

mchphoto

Over the Christmas period I has some Oranges and did not know that the fructose sugars contained within in them make your blood sugars go sky high for me it was above 12 for me that is high. (I was wondering why my sugars had spiked upwards when my control was good)

This got me thinking of what fruit is good for you, apples, bananas, oranges,grapes, raspberry's etc It was not until I was diagnosed with Diabetes that I started eating fruit in replacement of chocolate and other comfort food e.g. cakes/biscuits etc

However all fruit has natural sugars within them, so apart from a spike in your sugar levels that some fruits give you does this do any harm in the short/long term due to the type of sugar?

What is a good fruit for us T2 diabetics within normal portions etc?

thanks

Michael

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a can of worms. I've read some bad stuff about Fructose...

I know that Grapes and Bananas are of th emenu for a lot of people - but I've always found Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc, don't have much impact...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I find that blueberries, blackberries and raspberries don't spike me badly but that grapes need to be fermented almost to dryness<G>

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I find berries are generally ok and that I can eat other fresh fruits so long as I consume them as "afters" after a main meal as then they don't spike my bg's anything like as much if you just eat them as a snack.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Berries at any time are not a problem for me, neither are poached spiced plums as a desert, but everything else ........all the so called healthy fruits......spike my BG to over 10 and stays there for several hours :(

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Berries are ok with me, don't have too much of an effect but all other fruit has a dreadful effect on my BS, doesn't come down for ages. So, although all fruit is healthy not all fruit is healthy for me :) Oh, and stay miles away from fruit juice, just jam packed full of sugar.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
after all this time i still cant get my head around fruit not being good for us, havent eaten any fruit apart from berries in a year for the same reasons as others but it is so hard to accept fruit not being good for everyone, a kind friend who knows im diabetic bought me a fruit hamper for christmas, what a fantastic idea lol, would never tell them, wonderfully thoughtful :) (im not being sarcastic, why would anyone think fruit is bad)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is sugar is sugar, it's all sugar. Only healthy stuff in fruit is the fibre.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
but the whole world knows fruit is good lol (apart from us)

fatbird

Blue berries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, cranberries, gooseberries, if tinned make sure not in thick sugar syrup-kiwi fruit, cantaloupe melon served with thick cream-delish. Check on your meter to see what you can tolerate.

FB

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to stick to northern european fruits, apples, pears, plums, berries. Occasionally I have clementines or tangerines as they are smaller than oranges and thus are less spikey BG wise. I avoid grapes, other than maybe one or two, but thats difficult to do so best avoid temptation. Melon, pineapple etc taste great but are too sweet.

But, like all things, if I have fruit, I don't have other carby things, at least not until the effect of the fruit has subsided. Frutis will send anyone's blood sugars up, even non diabetics, but for type 2 diabetics, it's how quickly we come down that is important. So, portion control and what you eat with it is important.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue berries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, cranberries, gooseberries, if tinned make sure not in thick sugar syrup-kiwi fruit, cantaloupe melon served with thick cream-delish. Check on your meter to see what you can tolerate.

I live in the rhubard triangle and find that, with truvia, it's pretty good. Shame about the custard though :)