1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what happens if I stop my pump ?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by laserdave, May 13, 2022.

1. laserdave

laserdave · Newbie

hi - been using my pump for 6 years now and have no real issues. I do a lot of cycling 30-50miles twice a week and always have done. I reduce my background rate by 85% while riding and eat a few snacks on the road - this works incredibly well - most of the time ! Last week I noticed I was starting to go low mid ride so I stopped my background insulin completely, had a snack - and carried on riding. ( normally I would have stopped - but I was with a group and I didn't want to cause a fuss - I get loads of warnings so wasn't overly concerned ). Everything panned out ok - my blood sugars came back up slowly and I was fine - except I had zero energy for the rest of the ride - really, really tired. I am often wiped out after a mild hypo but this was different. My question - at last - was I exhausted because I had completely stopped my insulin and maybe NO glucose was getting to my muscles ? Very interested to hear from others who have tried completely stopping the insulin flow.
    Thanks in advance

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I frequently suspend my basal (stop my pump) when exercising.
    The thing I find is that I have to time the suspension appropriately.
    As we know we pre-bolusing (and it uses the same insulin on a pump), insulin can take 30 minutes or so to start working. Therefore, I have to time my basal suspension for 30 minutes before starting the exercise and to finish 30 minutes before finishing. If I don't resume basal early enough, my levels will go high as soon as I finish exercise.
    If you suspend basal when you are already hypo, it is too late (unless you have a lot of insulin onboard).

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @laserdave Have also experienced this on a 50km bike ride a couple of years ago, I managed to avert the low and keep going whilst fueling on glucose, but had zero energy for the rest of the ride which was about 15kms. I put it down to the fact that as there was a lag on the CGM that I was already low and that in itself caused the zero energy reaction, the only thing I would do differently now is to set my low alert at 6mmol/l on a ride which gives me enough of a cushion to avert an incoming low, have found that cycling causes me to go low pretty quickly particularly later in the day when I am less insulin resistant, I use glucose drinks and have one water and one mixed with an energy powder so it's easier to consume whilst still riding, I also pack different types of carbs too for the ride including choc if it's not too hot and cereal bars, so both slow and quick acting carbs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook