1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zauberflote, Nov 9, 2020.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Yes bonkers isn’t it? I think perhaps they thought nobody would notice it then, and as it would have disappeared by the morning they’d be none the wiser.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Hey I got here at last. Enjoying all the dog pics and what a great cat pic @Antje77.
    After a sick day yesterday I managed two hours of clearing in the garden this morning putting the beds to sleep for the winter. I have finally waved the white flag to the caterpillars in my broccoli bed. They are laying eggs at an alarming rate so they can have it. I have a zoom with old friends this aft.
    @SlimLizzy sorry to hear about your nephew and hope the news when it comes is good. Such a worry meanwhile for his wife and all the family. How is Cat? Presumably not go e for a service and MOT lol.
    @shelley262 sounds like you have been having a tough time good to see you again.
    I am going to try and post a pic of my new grandpuppy Tonka (would have preferred a grandchild)

20DE7FED-42E1-468B-86A0-B9BA95676BFD.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Grandpuppy? Please don't say you use fur baby:arghh::arghh::arghh: I'd lend you a gal but their dad's seem to like 'em. No accounting for taste. I blame their mum:angelic: Glad you feel up to some gardening and caterpillars are very hungry - I read about that somewhere.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #43 ianpspurs, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Welcome back @shelley262. These are indeed trying times. I can empathise with the caring and I am thankful I don't have to deal with it during the covid crisis.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Our poor gym never even got as far as opening again. Boys have been lucky enough to get back to swimming lessons (on Sundays) as their pool is in a school but nothing much is open here. I read today that the SNP are probably having a tombola to decide who'll be locked down next. It certainly isn't any scientific reason.

I see @Annb the islands got a slight relaxation but still not fully what it should be. I meant to ask you too, is your granddaughter and new great granddaughter back and settled from Aberdeen and, have you been able to see the baby?

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Totally agree. I was astonished at the consideration for Star Baker yesterday. I'd never heard of Sussex Pond Pudding before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, after a lot of hassle (ferry was cancelled due to some unexplained circumstance) so on Day 3 of the journey home (2 overnight stops) DIL managed to get the last booking on the ferry from Uig (Skye) and they had to make a mad dash to get to Uig in time. Finally arrived in Stornoway about 1.30 am on the Thursday morning. DIL got home about 2.30 am. Luckily No 2 son had done all the laundry work for the next day and took it for delivery before he went to work. So she got a bit of a rest.

On Thursday the new mum realised that something was not right with baby Rue so took her to A&E. She had jaundice and was taken in overnight, but able to go home again on Friday.

DIL brought her to see me a day or so ago (lost track of days). She's even smaller than Em was. Too small for the smallest size of baby clothes. My boys were big bruisers and such tiny creatures are fascinating. Em wants one of her own now. She's been told she'll have to wait! Maybe Mum and Dad could oblige? No way!

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 2
  9. Annb

I never watch Bake Off. I did watch some of the earlier years, but got fed up with it. Sussex pond pudding should be a whole, sugary lemon inside a sweet pudding so that it pours out when it is cut. I've never made it because I think it might be too sweet for me, although I do like lemon. Is that the way they made it on the programme?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@DJC3 similar situation to your niece. He got notification to isolate while he was at work and had to go straight home.
    He did not have a test at any time.
    The disruption and distress he felt and still feels has had a massive impact on him. He is understandably angry about the whole situation.

• Hug Hug x 5
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I’ve seen it in recipe books but moved swiftly past it!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I think people are already feeling mentally very fragile at the moment so these blips are just exacerbating the anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have eaten, and enjoyed a Sussex Pond Puddiing in the past many years ago, decades before big D.
    I also made one once. On the show they were on a hiding to nothing as 2 and a half hours was not long enough to cook it properly so the lemon softened.
    But I was amazed none of them knew how to use suet pastry and yes I was equally shocked at their poor brownies the other week.

I love Dennis and Bill and Ben and Tonka....I want them all !

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Re GBBO, looks like Dessert Week is available online now, so I will abstain from this thread until I've watched to prevent spoilers :hilarious:
    So happy just watching carbs doesn't make me go high!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

He is in a vulnerable state anyway, having had a recent relationship breakdown, which has led to a relocation. Now he is in a town where he knows nobody, tasked with improving staff performance and productivity. Which ofc means most of them are resenting the new procedures he has brought in.

• Hug Hug x 7
  16. Annb

Until a few years ago, I used to have really severe migraines (related to problems with blood sugar, I'm pretty sure). I did realise that, if I ate sugary things, the migraines were exacerbated. So, that was when I stopped eating sweet foods. I loved Mars bars (childhood memories) but steadfastly denied myself them. Then the night came when I dreamed of eating a Mars bar - and woke up with a dreadful migraine! I always thought, "it's so unfair, I didn't even have to do it - just dream it, and I still got the migraine!" Probably a question of chicken and egg - was the migraine in the offing and I had the dream to explain it, or did I react to the dream?

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, completely unfair, no matter if it was chicken or egg!
    Last season I noticed my bg was lower than expected every time I watched GBBO. Could have been coincidence, but secretly I suspected it was my pancreas producing some insulin in anticipation. Not a clue if it's even possible this happens, but the thought makes me smile :happy:. And it's not that far-fetched. After all, imagine biting a lemon and you'll produce extra saliva...

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ianpspurs

A beam of light streamed in through the grimy window of LC winter food yesterday. Goose does give wonderful crisp skin and a big jar of goose fat for roast veggies. I came across a bottle of 2010 St Emiilion I had no idea we had and thoroughly enjoyed that pairing. The whole was made better by pan juices/fat and normies gravy powder. It seems set piece/event meals work for me. I am obviously far more traditional than I knew. Even better has been starting Advent for the girls (1 and 2 respectively). Calendars started, Arthur Christmas currently showing. I have no idea just now what my bg is and obviously I don't want it spiralling out of control .I have huge sympathy for all of you here struggling but yesterday and today are about as good as I think this can be for me in autumn/winter so it is only right to acknowledge the fact.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    #58 ianpspurs, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  19. ianpspurs

I have ordered some but they seem to only weigh 65 gms each and my 2 slices of skinny bread work out at 75 gms with the slicer set to the widest. I sense bitter disappointment on the horizon which won't offset any hint of eggs or palm oil guilt. Still, I live in hope. I guess even being quite petite for a man, IMHO - 6 foot and 73/74 kgs - my idea of portion size is still very different to many here.
    @DJC3 I agree about swede mashed with butter and pepper - how did that happen? Then I read white pepper which I can’t stand so normal service resumed. @shelley262 I agree roast swede is far better than roast celeriac - not hard but a clear winner. Celeriac and swede mashed is far better for me than celeriac alone, even with some butter to placate Julie.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    #59 ianpspurs, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  20. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Phew! Worried for a second there.

• Funny Funny x 5
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook