What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. No breakfast today, just a cuppa
Lunch - was out xmas shopping so went to Nando’s and had butterfly chicken, coleslaw and side salad with X hot sauce
Dinner - rump steak with Diane sauce, and some grilled peppers and tomatoes. Got some berries defrosting to have with extra thick double cream, crushed walnuts and grated 85% chocolate
And as I didn’t actually have it last week I am treating myself to a couple of pink gins with diet lemonade

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4 FBG 3.6. Even skipping breakfast didn t raise it too much - up to 4.6. Boys had to get to a party and I had a little shopping to do.
B. Black coffee
L. Much later 2 slices ox tongue, spoonful of M&S whipped cheese , 4 Santini tomatoes.
D. Meat loaf with onion gravy and fried halloumi.

Made the first bottle of low carb Bailey's.

I feel the need to taste it each time I pass (it's cooling). Strong stuff though.

1.5 cups double cream
1.5 cups Irish Whiskey (Jamesons)
5 teaspoons sweetener (I added another dessert spoon)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
Shot of strong espresso
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (I'd reduce it to a half)
Pinch of salt.
Added about another 50 mls cream.

Basically, put everything in a clean pot and warm it while whisking for about 15 mins. Do not let it boil. You're dissolving the cocoa, sugar etc.

After 15 mins pour it through a sieve into a clean glass jug and wait for it to cool. Give it a whisk ever so often. Bottle when cool then refrigerate.
This makes 600mls. Since my bottles are 500 mls I am forcing myself to drink 100 mls on ice hic!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This isn't at all LC, but I feel positive the inventive foodies amongst us could come up with some fabulous things to put into chocolate cups, so party food, or whatever.

A whole muffin/cupcake case size could be a bit OTT, but perhaps a smaller fairycake or mini size could work well.

Apologies for those who don't do Facebook.
Bed 4 FBG 3.6. Even skipping breakfast didn t raise it too much - up to 4.6. Boys had to get to a party and I had a little shopping to do.
B. Black coffee
L. Much later 2 slices ox tongue, spoonful of M&S whipped cheese , 4 Santini tomatoes.
D. Meat loaf with onion gravy and fried halloumi.

Made the first bottle of low carb Bailey's.

I feel the need to taste it each time I pass (it's cooling). Strong stuff though.

1.5 cups double cream
1.5 cups Irish Whiskey (Jamesons)
5 teaspoons sweetener (I added another dessert spoon)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
Shot of strong espresso
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (I'd reduce it to a half)
Pinch of salt.
Added about another 50 mls cream.

Basically, put everything in a clean pot and warm it while whisking for about 15 mins. Do not let it boil. You're dissolving the cocoa, sugar etc.

After 15 mins pour it through a sieve into a clean glass jug and wait for it to cool. Give it a whisk ever so often. Bottle when cool then refrigerate.
This makes 600mls. Since my bottles are 500 mls I am forcing myself to drink 100 mls on ice hic!
I used Monk Fruit golden classic for the "sugar"

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This afternoon, I have made this, as one of our mains for an Indian Saturday meal. It's now sitting on "Keep Warm" for when we are ready. https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

When the sauce was finished, it was a bit on the mild side (we enjoy quite a bit of heat as well s flavour in our food), so I added some chilli. It's delicious and very, very simple, with 4 portions in this mix, plus a batch of the sauce already in the freezer for another time.

I’ve made this chicken curry too, and agree it’s lovely, but not a great deal of heat. It suited us as the granddaughters were able to have some as well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.
@maglil55 I can’t wait to have a bash at the Baileys, it sounds wonderful. Very impressive bgs by the way - it’d be nice if the 2 things were connected.

Today I just had dinner - DD garam masala chicken with roast broccoli
Dispite 24hr fast beforehand I still only dropped to 5.6 before the meal. @ianpspurs I feel your pain too.

@Brunneria @DCUKMod @ziggy_w and @ianpspurs We got ox cheek from the butchers today, its frozen though so bunged it in our freezer and will try it midweek. Looking forward to it very much. Do any of you know if I can use wine as the liquid in the IP?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. No breakfast today, just a cuppa
Lunch - was out xmas shopping so went to Nando’s and had butterfly chicken, coleslaw and side salad with X hot sauce
Dinner - rump steak with Diane sauce, and some grilled peppers and tomatoes. Got some berries defrosting to have with extra thick double cream, crushed walnuts and grated 85% chocolate
And as I didn’t actually have it last week I am treating myself to a couple of pink gins with diet lemonade

I love Nandos. I usually go for the chicken thighs.
A lovely sounding menu today.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. Splash that wine in. :D

Liquid is liquid as far as the instant pot is concerned.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

@DJC3 -- I don't own an IP, but can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to use wine as an ingredient in the sauce.
@maglil55 -- Wow, these are some low numbers. What has changed for you?

Hungrier than during the week -- maybe the problem is that I'm at home and have lot's of yummy foods in the fridge.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a Lidl protein roll with pate, butter and soft cheese.

Late lunch: Leftover mussel soup, Oppo vanilla ice cream with melted 95% chocolate.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with a homemade low-carb mustard-lime dressing and feta cheese. A small serving of fried chicken livers with a pastis-mustard cream sauce. A glass and a half of red wine.

Off to do some exercise on the elliptical trainer while listening to some presentations from Low Carb Houston.

Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.
@maglil55 I can’t wait to have a bash at the Baileys, it sounds wonderful. Very impressive bgs by the way - it’d be nice if the 2 things were connected.

Today I just had dinner - DD garam masala chicken with roast broccoli
Dispite 24hr fast beforehand I still only dropped to 5.6 before the meal. @ianpspurs I feel your pain too.

@Brunneria @DCUKMod @ziggy_w and @ianpspurs We got ox cheek from the butchers today, its frozen though so bunged it in our freezer and will try it midweek. Looking forward to it very much. Do any of you know if I can use wine as the liquid in the IP?

I agree with @Brunneria that liquid is liquid in the cauldron. Just don't forget virtually none will evaporate as it cooks.

As I said earlier, I perked the butter chicken up a bit my adding some chilli, to what we were having tonight. Whilst the recipe says 4 portions + extra sauce, I divided it to reflect 6 portions, as on our Saturday Curry Nights, we have 2 mains, so need a bit less of each. It's definitely a keeper - especially as it's so quick, faff-free and basically pantry staples.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria that liquid is liquid in the cauldron. Just don't forget virtually none will evaporate as it cooks.

That’s my concern really - the alcohol won’t evaporate so it’ll end up tasting like hot wine rather than mellowing into the sauce as it would in a traditional stew.
Might just have to try and see.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie was bacon and egg, with some diced mushroom dumped on my plate by Mr B who has an aversion to fungus.

Then a small portion of goatsmilk yog late afternoon.

And just now, an instant pot lamb shank, with garlic, lamb stock, and the merest smear of tomato puree.
The tomato made it too sweet, so I left all the liquid.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s my concern really - the alcohol won’t evaporate so it’ll end up tasting like hot wine rather than mellowing into the sauce as it would in a traditional stew.
Might just have to try and see.

If necessary you could always saute some off, after cooking.. The high saute setting is very efficient for reducing down.

Reactions: DJC3

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B - 3 slices of Jarlsberg cheese (nearly typed Carlsberg ! Coffee w double cream*
D - Greek yogurt , double cream* 2 tblspoons of Raw Gorilla Mighty Museli (first time I tried it - expensive but delicious. you could make your own but I am v. lazy)
Sn - 3 more slices of Jarlsberg/Carlsberg
T - Chicken breast strips in butter and olive oil with mushrooms spinach and double cream* . Grated cheddar on top. I left the mushrooms whole and it made me think it was tortellini.

*Too much cream ?????

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: keto pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Can I just ask if CCBs freeze @ianpspurs ? I want to get some sweet treats cooked and stored ready for Xmas soon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brekkie was bacon and egg, with some diced mushroom dumped on my plate by Mr B who has an aversion to fungus.

Then a small portion of goatsmilk yog late afternoon.

And just now, an instant pot lamb shank, with garlic, lamb stock, and the merest smear of tomato puree.
The tomato made it too sweet, so I left all the liquid.
The low carb Bailey's must be making me see things. I thought that said "lamb skunk"!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Late entry before go to bed feeling a bit full!
Breakfast slice bacon and fried egg on half a slice of Hilo toast
Lunch mackerel in olive oil with ACV, small spoon of yoghurt and LC seeded crispbreads followed by coffee and 95% choc - one square
Dinner halloumi chips starter with prosseco,main beef casserole with roast veggies, cauli cheese and mashed swede and celeriac and glass red wine followed by raspberry clafoutis with fage yoghurt then nibbles of cheese with red wine followed by decaf coffee and chocolate tasting session where we worked through bits of my range of chocolate selection ranging from 80% to 100% interesting - though how I fitted it in I dont know! ( fave of my friends was the 81% Lidl chocolate which I find the sweetest of the bunch although not too bad carb wise!,)
Will see what my fasting bloods say in am after eating a lot more and much later! Lovely evening with friends though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch mackerel in olive oil with ACV, small spoon of yoghurt and LC seeded crispbreads followed by coffee and 95% choc - one square
Dinner halloumi chips starter with prosseco,main beef casserole with roast veggies, cauli cheese and mashed swede and celeriac and glass red wine followed by raspberry clafoutis with fage yoghurt then nibbles of cheese with red wine followed by decaf coffee and chocolate tasting session where we worked through bits of my range of chocolate selection ranging from 80% to 100% interesting - though how I fitted it in I dont know! ( fave of my friends was the 81% Lidl chocolate which I find the sweetest of the bunch although not too bad carb wise!,)
Will see what my fasting bloods say in am after eating a lot more and much later! Lovely evening with friends though.

Sounds like a wonderful evening @shelley262 and what a great menu. I bet they were bowled over by it.
I love the idea of the chocolate tasting with coffee after dinner.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your day and menu sounds wonderful xx