What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.2 FBG 3.9. Busy day. Prep for the dinner for later then off to weekly swimming lessons with the boys. No 2 has now regained privileges and is in no hurry to lose them again. The story has been read To them about 1 2 3 Magic and they get it now - getting to 3 involves a penalty. Started now on the 'start' behaviour - I.e. encouraging good behaviour. I asked No 2 to put a bit paper in the bin at swimming and got a "but it's not mine" whine. Told him I had asked him nicely to do it as a favour for me but no worry, I'd do it myself when I'd finished what I was doing but, since he wasn't doing The chore I would accept him paying me £1 from him pocket money. It was in the bin before I stopped speaking! Mum & Dad says weekend has been great. They haven't got past 2.
B. Sunday fry up. 3 rashers crispy streaky bacon, 2 Tesco GF pork chipolatos, 1 mushroom, 3 Santini tomatoes, fried duck egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing at swimming
D. Pastry-less beef Wellington. One day I will find a suitable replacement. Celeriac dauphinoise and peas. Mushroom sauce.
Scoop Halo Top and blackberries.
I had to try the 24 hr matured Baileys and oh boy it is good. Yesterday the whiskey was more obvious. Today it is nice and smooth. The almond essence is fine too so I'll leave it at a teaspoon. Consistency is also much better. More Bailey like. Bottle requires a good shake before pouring so upside down it was and thank goodness for The secure Kilner top. I fear I will be unable to advise how long it lasts in the fridge. It won't be there that long

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B = None
L = None
D = 4 100% quarter pounder Beef burgers oven cooked, 1 bell pepper sliced, 1 courgette sliced, 2 medium red onions sliced, 2 tomatoes halved & sliced mushrooms baked in the oven with Garlic granules, Black pepper and Rock salt drizzled with Olive oil.
S = 200g Gorgonzola
1 bottle Pinot Noir consumed during the evening.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sort of combined 3 day catch up
1 day with no breakfast, 1 with no lunch, 1 with just dinner....
So breakfast: Livlife with garlic/herb Boursin, butter and mixed seeds
Lunch: roast beef slices, little gem lettuce, & radishes with mixed Hellmanns and whole grain mustard
Dinners:
  • Turkey & mixed veg stir fry again but with a rather too hot red chili from a different pack
  • little partridge breasts wrapped in bacon with baby leeks, mushroom "medley", a few defrosted bramley apple slices, and thyme added part way through cooking so done in juices with some creme fraiche and a little lemon juice
  • Chorizo, mixed baby peppers, cherry tomatoes with sweet smoked paprika and fresh oregano baked in egg and garlic/herb flavoured quark mix (will do about 3 servings)
  • and I seem to have acquired extra one o_O - diced pancetta , baby cauliflower and baby leeks stir fried with roasted pecans, & a drop of lemon juice and garlic/herb Bourson added at the end to make a bit of sauce.
Puds - a couple of Halo Top vanila ice creams , one with Meridian chocolate hazelnut butter, and chopped toasted hazel nuts, the other with cooked fresh cranberry. I got the cranberries in my last ocado order, cooked them with the juice and zest of an orange, Surkrin gold, slosh of ruby port, cinnamon, and a little butter. I can get four servings out of a 300g cooked pack so am having these as puds with sour cream, creme fraiche, or vanilla ice cream. One of my winter seasonal "treats" :playful:

Various herb teas and hazelnut decaf to drink plus daily water (manly still flavoured...)

And of course daily dose of Lindt...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cry.gif

Went out for Sunday breakfast (as usual). This time we went to a different place. A big posh garden centre with large cafe.
And they offered a fully gluten free breakfast! Yay!
So I decided to push the boat out, and had one.
small slice GF toast
2 GF sausages
1 slice GF black pudding
2 rashers of bacon
1 egg
diced mushrooms
then I left the beans, the hash brown and the tomato half

All seemed good, but today my guts are whinging mightily. So either their GF was not GF, or there was just something too processed and too non carnivore about what I ate. Mushrooms have never been a problem before...

Oh well, I've been meaning to do a fasting day for a while now...

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all one of those frustrating days today but que sera sera!
Breakfast half slice of hilo toast and fried bread
lunch out and about - a few nuts and cheee
dinner chicken, halloumi chips and salad with mayonnaise followed by SF jelly with cream
looking forward to tommorow as looking after youngest sons mini poddle Cooper - dogs seem very uncomplicated in comparison to us humans! also roped in to do a bit of DIY at sons house.
Hope everyone had a good day

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A totally frustrating day. Awoke to a 6 so tested again about 10.30am as was getting peckish and thought would have my usual protein bar, only to be greeted with a 7.5. So forgot about the idea of eating as didn’t want to push it higher. Lunch time came so I tested again before I ate and it was 8.9 - these are the highest readings I’ve had since the first couple days after diagnosis. So skipped the lunch as couldn’t cope with the idea of any food making it spike more. Currently sitting at 6.2 but absolutely starving as wasn’t prepared for a fasting day and think the severe lack of sleep last night has left me needing something.
So chicken wrapped in streaky bacon with some courgettes and mushrooms is roasting in the oven and heaven only knows what it will or won’t do to my BG but today is a write off and that’s putting it politely :banghead::banghead:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A totally frustrating day. Awoke to a 6 so tested again about 10.30am as was getting peckish and thought would have my usual protein bar, only to be greeted with a 7.5. So forgot about the idea of eating as didn’t want to push it higher. Lunch time came so I tested again before I ate and it was 8.9 - these are the highest readings I’ve had since the first couple days after diagnosis. So skipped the lunch as couldn’t cope with the idea of any food making it spike more. Currently sitting at 6.2 but absolutely starving as wasn’t prepared for a fasting day and think the severe lack of sleep last night has left me needing something.
So chicken wrapped in streaky bacon with some courgettes and mushrooms is roasting in the oven and heaven only knows what it will or won’t do to my BG but today is a write off and that’s putting it politely :banghead::banghead:

Sending a hug - The lack of sleep and worry about your daughter being ill is bound to have had a big effect. I can’t believe you managed not to comfort eat all day. Being tired always makes me cold and hungry.
I’m sure tomorrow will be a whole lot better for you, provided you sleep well and your little girl is better. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is that stress and resulting high cortisol puts bg up and that can be caused by stressful situations like daughter being poorly, lack of sleep and even fasting itself! I’d eat and try and chill sometimes relaxing with some food may reduce it good luck and enjoy your meal

Reactions: Geoffno6

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Highlights today; putting away all nice socks, Dilmah tea came, batteries in meter low.
Breakfast: - Tea : - Heating and hot water problems then long chat with eccentric uncle by which time breakfast window had misted over
Dockey : Tea - could become a habit if I am not careful; dog walk
Lunch : Filter coffee with cream; Cold roast turkey; tea; Man he fixxy hot water and heating, MIL taken to get toenails cut - all the fun of the fair; had my glandnuts tweaked and didn’t feel a thing
Mid Afternoon: Tea
Evening meal: IP Ox cheek doo-dah (no Bonzo dog or band) with some braised red cabbage with Christmas spices which had been maturing in fridge for 8 days; Bavarian smoked cheese and bleu D’Auvergne from free festive cheese board delivered with groceries. IP veg and bone stock then hit meat stew - simples;
@Emma_369 hug and personally, have tried fasting to avoid high numbers - it just leads to poblems

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.

Breakfast was a cheese omelette, then went off to a new pilates class, it was really good and everybody was very friendly. I’ll definitely go again - a great way to start the week.

Lunch - tried not to have any but a packet of pork scratchings kept beckoning so ate them.

Dinner was pan fried duck breast with buttered cabbage and broccoli. Followed by a bit of local cheese which I was hoping to keep until Christmas but it’s stinking my fridge out so needs eating now.
2 glasses red.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you’re right, all of you @ianpspurs @shelley262 @DJC3
Guess my first shock to the system that some days really are beyond my control - wish I could say yeah it’s the giant sandwich I ate as at least I’d know exactly why. No rhyme or reason doesn’t bode well for my overly analytical brain. As you say tomorrow is a new day and I think I’m going to make more effort, regardless of numbers or how hectic life is, to just eat more regularly. Perhaps I do need to give myself some energy to stop my body trying to do it for me :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cry.gif

Went out for Sunday breakfast (as usual). This time we went to a different place. A big posh garden centre with large cafe.
And they offered a fully gluten free breakfast! Yay!
So I decided to push the boat out, and had one.
small slice GF toast
2 GF sausages
1 slice GF black pudding
2 rashers of bacon
1 egg
diced mushrooms
then I left the beans, the hash brown and the tomato half

All seemed good, but today my guts are whinging mightily. So either their GF was not GF, or there was just something too processed and too non carnivore about what I ate. Mushrooms have never been a problem before...

Oh well, I've been meaning to do a fasting day for a while now...

I can understand you wanting to chuck your rattle out of the pram - what a shame. I hope you don’t have to give up mushrooms too.
Hope the whinging guts calm down soon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you’re right, all of you @ianpspurs @shelley262 @DJC3
Guess my first shock to the system that some days really are beyond my control - wish I could say yeah it’s the giant sandwich I ate as at least I’d know exactly why. No rhyme or reason doesn’t bode well for my overly analytical brain. As you say tomorrow is a new day and I think I’m going to make more effort, regardless of numbers or how hectic life is, to just eat more regularly. Perhaps I do need to give myself some energy to stop my body trying to do it for me :)
Remember stress management too it’s certainly vital to me - my daily 10minute mindfulness sessions ( I do headspace ) can lower my bg when stressed by at least one point so there is a definite correlation for me.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember stress management too it’s certainly vital to me - my daily mindfulness sessions ( I do headspace ) can lower my bg when stressed by at least one point so there is a definite correlation for me.

Dr Rangan Chatterjee 4 Pillars to a healthy lifestyle: Diet; Exercise; Rest; Prayer/Meditation - personally last 1 is key and not the meditation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w