What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at a PPG event, took my own rollitos, pork scratchings and a banana Carb Killa bar
Mid afternoon: chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: low carb kedgeree (cauli rice, smoked mackerel, garlic, petit pois and eggs) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edit: forgot the garlic!

How did the PPG event go?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another early dinner so posting while I remember.

Early: large cafetiere of coffee with cream.

Breakfast: DD breakfast sandwich

Went to a keep fit class in the village hall for over 55s. Not very strenuous but quite a good laugh nevertheless. A very friendly bunch. Cup of tea with milk afterwards ( didn’t want to appear picky or stand offish)

No lunch

Mid aft: 10g walnuts and coffee and cream

Dinner: Smoked duck breast with celeriac remoulade and lettuce followed by a bit of the local stinky cheese with a glass of red.
Finally an IP custard pot and a few Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons.

I hope everyone has had a good day.
That's where I'm fortunate with tea - I drink it just as it comes , no milk , no sweetener and have done since my honeymoon. We went to Poland and they drink their tea black in a glass. When we got back to the UK 3 weeks later I was desperate for a cuppa with milk but it tasted awful! Drunk it black ever since then.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What would "just fat" be I can only think of coffee and cream , what else would count ?

That is exactly what I use. :D
But I guess fat bombs, sweet or savoury would fit the bill too.
But bacon and scrambled egg does just as well, with a knob of butter melting over the eggs... :)

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.9 so a bit higher than recent weeks but still OK. Weather like many of you has been ghastly since last night. Rain has been coming down in torrents so it was a case of trying to time any necessary exits from the house during the occasional breaks. Blooming cold too. Finally found No 2's missing jacket but he wants to wear his new one as it has a hairy hood (fake fur). After a relapse yesterday afternoon good behaviour resumed using the 1 2 3 Magic.

B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 2 of The adapted souffle pancakes with the coconut flour (still held their shape) and 3 rashers crispy streaky bacon.
L. Grenade mint impact bar.
D. Spicy ribs (nothing else) followed by the remains of the halo top and 5 blackberries.

Had a little taste of the low carb Bailey's *and I do mean just a sip" and the texture is great now so this is certainly the recipe for me.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yet another funny old day:
FBG 5.7 - got up a little earlier to make time for breakfast so had 2 rashers smoked bacon and a couple chunks of cheese - BG 2hrs later 7.7 :banghead:
Pre lunch BG 5.7, lunch of chicken breast, mixed salad leaves, 2 cherry tomatoes and light mayo. BG 2hrs later 7.4 :banghead:
Pre dinner BG 6.2, dinner of 2 x pork & leek sausages (1.4g carb each), 3 rashers smoked bacon, poached egg, 1 tomato halved and grilled and mushrooms fried in butter BG now 2 hrs later 5.9 :joyful: - if there was fanfare emoji I’d have inserted it here!
Hoping this evenings reading is a sign of me settling back to normal. But only tomorrow will tell

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Grandson's 6th birthday today- A wholly different person back then - this one is much more orfentick not bent and twisted out of shape by career.
Breakfast: - Tea : -
Dockey : Coffee with soya cream after swimming
Lunch : Normal Avocado and mackerel salad with tea
Mid Afternoon: coffee in the car on the way to see the birthday boy
Evening meal: Brisket with kale and cabbage; CCB (instead of birthday cake); small glass red wine - our first born tries to cook meals as LC as he can - (no more brisket ever please)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is exactly what I use. :D
But I guess fat bombs, sweet or savoury would fit the bill too.
But bacon and scrambled egg does just as well, with a knob of butter melting over the eggs... :)
Thanks :) I do love slices of butter these days . Fat bombs , never tried any of those yet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs we had IP brisket on Sunday, it was meltingly tender. Made gravy by blending the liquid etc left in the pot with 1/2 teasp xanthan gum, it worked well.

Fingers crossed for ‘normal’ readings tomorrow @Emma_369

@maglil55 very impressed with ‘just a sip’ . Re black tea I’ve only stopped having sugar in tea about 9 months ago - it’s taken me years to wean myself off that last 1/2 teasp but now I couldn’t imagine drinking it sweet. I think it’ll be a while before I can cope with it black though.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: slice of Livlife with butter, applewood smoked cheddar and a few roast pecan halves; hazelnut decaf with cream and truvia

Lunch :little tin of John West tuna infusions with basil and a mini cucumber; apple,ginger, cinnamon flavour tea.

Dinner: Heck 97% pork sausages, and kale with roast pecans and few cranberries; Halo Top vanilla ice cream with a couple of teaspoons of chocolate hazelnut butter and chopped roast hazelnuts; cinnamon tea

And some very late supper - cocoa with almond alpro and truvia, and a litlte bowl of ground almonds, Sukrin Gold cooked with butter and topped with walnut pieces and a little sweet/sour chopped windfall apple. A few more seem to have made an appearance in the fruit bowl...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs we had IP brisket on Sunday, it was meltingly tender. Made gravy by blending the liquid etc left in the pot with 1/2 teasp xanthan gum, it worked well.

@maglil55 very impressed with ‘just a sip’ . Re black tea I’ve only stopped having sugar in tea about 9 months ago - it’s taken me years to wean myself off that last 1/2 teasp but now I couldn’t imagine drinking it sweet. I think it’ll be a while before I can cope with it black though.
Tender brisket sounds like unicorn eggs to me. How can anyone make that stuff edible? My baseline comparison is Ox cheek. If you have a recipe I would be interested but my mum and both grandmothers always said it was inedible.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@DJC3, @Goonergal and @jayney27 -- there must be something in the air. Yesterday night (after getting home) I had already put on sneakers and my workout outfit, but was then lacking the motivation to get on the elliptical trainer. Have to admit I have been slacking a bit during the last two weeks.

@Emma_369 -- this really sounds like your system is battling a bug. Hope things are looking up for you today.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Last of the mussels soup and a DD keto roll with mayonnaise, a Spanish hard cheese and chicken breast. Half an avocado.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: A little more than half of a Lidl protein roll (they are huge) with various soft cheeses and chicken liver pate. A Wiener sausage and a glass of red wine.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all.

@DJC3, @Goonergal and @jayney27 -- there must be something in the air. Yesterday night (after getting home) I had already put on sneakers and my workout outfit, but was then lacking the motivation to get on the elliptical trainer. Have to admit I have been slacking a bit during the last two weeks.

@Emma_369 -- this really sounds like your system is battling a bug. Hope things are looking up for you today.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Last of the mussels soup and a DD keto roll with mayonnaise, a Spanish hard cheese and chicken breast. Half an avocado.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: A little more than half of a Lidl protein roll (they are huge) with various soft cheeses and chicken liver pate. A Wiener sausage and a glass of red wine.
@ziggy_w my eyes lit up at the words "Lidl protein roll". Are they back in your area or are you going to deflate me by saying you had a huge supply in the freezer?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

I really hope you’re right. Still high readings this morning and still not so much as a runny nose. Feel fine. Beginning to wonder if my fab readings were just beginners luck. And seeing my predicted hba1c keep going up on the mySugr app is actually so depressing! 3 weeks till my first bloods since diagnosis and if I carry on like this for the next 3 weeks they’ll be no different to when I started. And I don’t appear to be able to do a thing about it

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

When I first started with black tea I had to have the tiniest amount of sugar in it. I do mean tiny - about 6 grains on the tip of a teaspoon. Oddly Hubby was the same. Many years later I decided it was daft as that tiny amount wasn't changing it. Hubby managed to go back to tea with milk but I just couldn't. 3 weeks of enforced black tea changed my tastebuds forever.
Re "just a sip" don't want Hubby thinking I'm going alcoholic! It is very Bailey-like though but without the intense sweetness so you really get the hints of the other ingredients. The final recipe which I've now added to Copy Me That

LOW CARB BAILEYS

1.5 Cups Irish Whisky (I used Jamesons)
1.5 Cups Double Cream (I added another "bloop" when warming which was about 2 tablespoons worth)
8 teaspoons granulated sweetener (this depends on which one you are using. I started with 5 but added another 3 teaspoons as I tasted)
1 teaspoon almond essence
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 espresso coffee shot
Tiny pinch of salt.

Method - incredibly easy.

Measure all the items apart from the Whisky and The cream into a clean pot. I then added about half the cream and whisky. Warm it slowly - do not let it boil. All you are doing it dissolving the granulated sweetener. About 5 mins in mix in the rest of The cream/whisky.
I set the timer for 15 mins total so it was another 10 mins warming and stirring after the last of the cream/whisky went in.
After 15 mins of warming/stirring I poured it through a sieve into a large Pyrex jug and let it cool. Bottle once cool and refrigerate.

This produced 600 mls of "Baileys" and since my Kilner bottles were 500 mls I was "forced" to drink some of it. However, when first made the almond essence and whisky is dominant and it's a bit thin. 24 hrs on in the fridge it is much better.

The coffee/cocoa settles at the bottom so you have to turn the bottle upside down and give it a good shake every time you are going to serve it. Kilner bottles are ideal as you can see it going through the mix AND they have a good secure stopper.

This produces 12 - 50ml measures. Nutritionals per 50 mls

Calories 212
Fat 15.2g of which
Saturated 9.5g
Carbs 3.5g
Fibre 2.4g
Sugar 0.5g
Protein 0.6g

Sodium 73.3mg
Potassium 3.3mg
Calcium 0.1%
Iron 0.3%