What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Jacqui_Jay

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mis-use of the English language, road rage, people who think the world owes them a living
Just finished my first week on low carbs, still puzzling over some things, but beginning to understand more (reading lots of posts on here).

B: bacon and eggs
L: tinned salmon, tomatoes, green pepper
D: cauliflower cheese, green beans, brussel sprouts, broad beans, peas, greek yoghurt, strawberries, blueberries

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Costa coffee with cream, sitting outside with the dogs playing with some kids from the next table. I apologised for the licking. The kids were soaked by the end. The parents just laughed. Proper parents then. None of that obsessive hygiene nonsense.

L: huge salad. One of those build your own ones in Morrisons. 3 eggs, peppers, toms, cuc, salad leaves, 3 different coleslaws (one was vile), grated cheese, felafel and an onion bhaji. Oh and a sundae. One of their made-fresh-in-store things. It was strawbs, whipped cream, a scatter of meringue and sponge. I fished out the sponge, and tried (and failed) to pick out all the meringue, which was very sickly.

D: chicken thighs in tikka masala paste with cauli rice and courgette. A request from Mr B.

Oddly, bg went higher with D than L. I can only assume it was overload. My fault. Ate far too much both meals and still feel stuffed.

And enjoyed every bite. :D

Reactions: 9 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
B: buttered coffee

L: Rocket, cucumber,pepper salad with a couple of cherry toms, oil/vinegar dressing with walnuts and cubes of manchego cheese.

D: thinly slice aubergine cooked on gridle pan with butter n oil till brown. Then added spring onion, chopped peppers, mangetout, fresh chilli, ABC sauce, salt... frozen prawns and 2 cut up fillets of anchovies....can you tell I made it up as I went... served on bed of rocket. Tasted gurt lush.
Raspberries n homemade thin coconut milk yougurt.

Too little water consumed.

Reactions: 6 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
B: Greek yoghurt, Walnuts, Almonds, Chia seeds, Safflower oil and French Vanilla Ice cream with frozen berries. 650 kcal 8g carb 61g fat!!! set me up for the day.

L: Beef steak mince, cauliflower, mushrooms, aubergine pesto, mixed veg. 870kcal 13g carb 72g fat

D: Mackerel salad, 720kcal 2.5g carb 67g fat

I cant get the oopsie bread off the foil. I think I should have used baking paper
Try silicon waffle moulds?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - Bulletproof Coffee with cream
L - 3 bacon, 3 scrambled eggs & chia seeds
D - Sirloin steak & salad.

Reactions: 4 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: 2 green frittata muffins, 3 cherry tomatoes & a mini Babybel
L: pheasant & venison terrine on half a toasted LIDL high protein roll, blueberries & cream
S: chunk of cheese (hard afternoon in the fields!)
D: avocado, bacon, asparagus & spring onions stir fried with 1 hard boiled egg thrown in at the end, cream cheese cloud

suehatton

Bacon and scrambled egg
3 mile walk along the canal during which we stopped for lunch where Mr H had a huge club sandwich and Little Miss H had his chips and I had a bag of nuts.
Not decided on dinner yet, not hungry, but had a sneaky weigh in this morning and it is coming off. 11lb in nearly 4 weeks...not too shabby and hardly ever hungry!!!

Reactions: 9 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Robbity Hiya, following on from our discussion on another thread about walnut oil, my verdict is it is gorgeous!! Very light and subtle. The dressing was 4T walnut oil, 1T balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, salt. So dinner tonight was

Salad leaves in walnut oil dressing with brie, toasted hazelnuts and baby tomatoes. Red wine.

Reactions: 5 people

suehatton

B: Flourless peanut butter mug cake with a dollop of double cream (so good, and so filling!)
L: Scrambled egg and bacon
D: Butter chicken served on a bed of cauliflower rice
I tried that mug cake but I used rock salt instead of sea salt and it was far too salty, and I think it needed more sweetener for me...but what a brilliant idea, it rose beautifully and the texture was fantastic. Who would have thought you could get results like that with no flour at all

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Avocado Sevenfold - Sounds yummy - but I can't abide Balsamic vinegar unfortunately....

I wish I could be peevish and say my meals were all savoury today, but no! So to keep on topic:

Brunch: Whole little goats cheese, 3 cherry tomatoes, 6 black olives and some basil leaves; I always ditch the brine from my jars of olives and refill with olive oil instead, so some of this went over things; decaf hazelnut coffee with hazelnut milk, and a teaspoon of coconut oil, and two mini balls of ground almonds made with. a bit-a-butter, and orange & vanilla essence - too lazy to do any baking so ate these raw... pre meal 7.7, post 6.4 :D

Dinner: prawn omelette, supposed to be with a(nother) cheese salad, but saved this for supper; small fruit salad with cherry, small greengage, strawberry, couple of raspberries and blackberries and a few blueberries with thick cream. Apple &pear herbal tea. Pre meal down to 5.4, post meal still waiting....

ETA: post dinner reading was 6.1 :p

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Avocado Sevenfold - Sounds yummy - but I can't abide Balsamic vinegar unfortunately....

I wish I could be peevish and say my meals were all savoury today, but no!

I am sure other vinegars would do. The walnut oil was the star after all :D

*whispers* I had a pudding too. Don't tell anyone, but today I have been trying to invent low carb butterscotch angel delight. It tastes good but is still a bit lumpy. Back to the drawing board :bag:

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: kipper and scram egg plus a very small latte
L: brie, bacon and salad. Oh yeah.
D: mince, onion, tomato, aubergine simmered til squidgy, with runner beans and sugarsnaps stirred in at last minute. Served with grated cheese on top. Think spag bol with green veg instead of pasta.

I may toy with a square or two of 70% later.

Reactions: 7 people

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried that mug cake but I used rock salt instead of sea salt and it was far too salty, and I think it needed more sweetener for me...but what a brilliant idea, it rose beautifully and the texture was fantastic. Who would have thought you could get results like that with no flour at all

I actually made a note to use a little more sweetener next time, too, but I was really pleased with the texture (and taste!), too. I've been compiling variations of the recipe to try in the very near future (next up will be peanut butter and chocolate chip).

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday...
B - bulletproof coffee
L - Spinach bread and a bit of cheese
D - BBQ so lots of meat! Chicken wings, sausages, beef burger
S - blueberries & cream. Lots of red wine.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Usual Saturday Egg, Bacon, Chipolatas, Mushroom, Tomato combo with a mug of strong Tea

L: Smoked Mackerel with pickled Anchovies and Horseradish Mayonnaise

D: Ribeye and Roasted Veg, asparagus wrapped in Parma ham and cheese.

Chocolate & Clotted Cream Sandwich

Red Wine x lots

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Usual Saturday Egg, Bacon, Chipolatas, Mushroom, Tomato combo with a mug of strong Tea

L: Smoked Mackerel with pickled Anchovies and Horseradish Mayonnaise

D: Ribeye and Roasted Veg, asparagus wrapped in Parma ham and cheese.

Chocolate & Clotted Cream Sandwich

Red Wine x lots

Now that is an excellent day of food!