What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The fact that they appear to be needing to use JCB’s and jackhammers in the removal process is enough to put me off chocolate! (temporarily)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
In reverse order, this is Lo dough https://lodough.co/ so I guess in the same category as La Tortilla.
The flaxseed bread seems to have a 50% success rate as in that's about how many people have success and how many end up with amazing crusts and inedible centre versus how many end up with a usable product. Good luck.

I saw the original thread specifically about Lodough by accident last night, but I prefer the oat fiber in La Tortilla to the wheat fiber. And I did make the bread last night! I am sitting squarely in the center of both 50's of your 50/50. I used the flax/almond recipe, and I'm thinking my eggs are larger than the recipe calls for. I used soy milk+water for liquid, very very little salt, and lots of cinnamon. At 385F, (a guess because the recipe didn't specify) at 25 minutes it had the gorgeous crust and the runny innards. I'd chosen a 4-cup pyrex container, so that baking pattern made sense. I HAD to have some RIGHT NOW, so I scooped out some nice crusty bits, and turned the oven up to nearly 400F. After another half hour it was done. My whole problem is heat and shape of pan. Next time, I'll try a regular size loaf pan, or enlarge the recipe by another egg's worth and use an 8x8 cake pan. It smelled soooo good, and hot out of the oven was heavenly! DH walked in after his swim, and willingly tried a bite (shocked me, but cinnamon goes straight to a man's heart, so I've heard...) and judged it "pretty mild". All the more for me!
I toasted a little slice with breakfast this morning, but ate it all before the coffee was done. Better scheduling on that tomorrow ;)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening folks
Todays diet has been somewhat ecclectic, partly driven by experiments with making “bread” from heba pap
Breakfast - defrosted and zapped leftovers of the berry crumble I made a rew days ago using fibre flour and coconut oil for the topping. Had that with 50g of coconut yogurt
Lunch / early afternoon - 2 slices of heba pap bread with tahini / almond butter
Dinner - undecided - needs to be lowish carbs and lowish fibre - maybe some tuna and a green salad tho Im not hungy as yet
Snack - 5 datk chocolate chefs drops & 2 brazil nuts
2x soya milk cappuccino

So far 895 cals, 21g carbs, 30g fibre
Went for soya yogurt with some stewed blackberries and toasted almonds in the end

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can't say what I had for my second meal today because 'someone' finished off my cheese and broccoli soup leftovers. 'Someone' is gonna get a smack!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Lainlainylain

Hi everyone...today it’s been

Egg, bacon and first attempt at low carb bread...

Dinner was kale and bolognese with parmesan and berries with cream

Daughter off to her dad’s til Sunday, think am going to have to do something horrible to the fruit bread and bagels left in the cupboard as I don’t want to be left alone with them (thinking a squirt of kitchen cleaner will render it inedible!)

Run out of strips so no testing today

Have a cosy evening all

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tori, I liiiike that recipe! (except I don't actually like chocolate+oranges...) I am going to lean about so many food things here I'm over the moon already! I am a "darker is better" chocolate person, also, "don't mess with chocolate unless you're going to add some more chocolate" devotee. Why spoil a good piece of chocolate by adding another food that was perfectly fine already? LOLOLOL! These little smileys are SO small, I want the :lol: one and can't find it!
Hi there!

Most of my diet is now from recipes from this site!

I have a peppermint essence as well and have made a version of my favourite 'after dinner mint'. I buy the essences from the supermarket and they are about £1.00 and last ages. The chocolate mould was from lakeland. I think it was about £5-£6 but you can get lots of different ones on Amazon.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bacon, sausage, two egg yolks, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms.
Mid afternoon - Small mocha
Dinner - Strawberries, blueberries and cream.

Nice day spent with Auntie firstly at local cafe for lunch, then looking at Christmas fayre at garden centre.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Yes, it was the perfect evening. The book was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, so definitely entertainment and not work (but maybe I can claim this is required reading to keep my language skills up ;)).

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Some lamb with lupin bean hummus and roasted vegetables (blood sugars didn't move at all.)

Snack: Two squares of 95% chocolate and a glass of red wine.

Dinner: Three lamb chops with lupin bean hummus. Lamb's lettuce with mustard-lime-orange oil dressing and feta cheese.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 1 hour exercise bike and water; bg flat from fbg after that - about 3 hrs after so a breakfast solution could be available?
Dockey : Hot chocolate - 2 tsps Rowntrees cocoa, almond milk, cream (that still worries me somewhat)
Lunch : 1 hr Nordic walk with dogs then hunger and tiredness hit big time; tea, cheese; opened and ate tin of chopped pork (49 p bargain) ; CCB - that didn’t work on any level; quick and easy but I have just shovelled rubbish into myself;
Afternoon: Weights then Tea with almond milk no weights - my be a little over protective but this is a marathon not a sprint
Evening meal: - 3 Bratwurst, mushrooms and red cabbage braised in mulled wine; - may be a glass (or so?) of Jamesons later
Exercise good - food will probably keep bg 5 or slightly below for the day but I'd be mad as a box of frogs to eat like that regularly.
@zauberflote good luck with the bread . (Don't think I could face the combination you tried) The version I was thinking of is just flaxseed and water. Does make excellent crispbread.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - hope everyone had a good day.
Breakfast one egg on half slice of Hilo toast
Lunch cheese, celery, chicken liver pate and nuts plus a couple of my new herby crackers - thank you @Rachox for recipe, they are wonderful and will become a staple see -
https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/
Changed a bit by swapping out half a cup of ground almonds and replaced with psyllium husk and more water as needed to bind with Ph they also needed a longer cooking time but have been declared success by all the family. Would recommend.
Dinner pork shoulder casserole served on bed of cauliflower rice mixed with cabbage and mushrooms and glass of wine followed by low carb trifle.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Yes, it was the perfect evening. The book was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, so definitely entertainment and not work (but maybe I can claim this is required reading to keep my language skills up ;)).

I’ve enjoyed all the Dan Brown books - perfect for reading in the bath with a glass of wine I’d say.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
B: DD breakfast sandwich
L: 2 slices Dr Almond black bread with cream cheese and smoked salmon.
Lazy mousse afterwards.
D: Instant pot beef curry with cauliflower rice. Small portion of cheese with a glass of red afterwards

@ianpspurs the bread was a great success - maybe too much so, as eldest daughter popped in on her way home from work and took half the loaf with her for lunches tomorrow and Friday!
I also bought a white ‘toast’ mix as it can be made into brioche type buns with the addition of butter and eggs. Sounds good to me.

@shelley262 those crackers look promising, do you prefer them to your seedy crackers?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My own coconut and almond porridge with a black coffee for breakfast.
Lunch out with daughter, as she thought I needed a bracing walk in one of the large parks around here, followed by a walk down a quaint shopping street. 2 coffees, and a bowl of sweet potato, coconut cream chilli soup, I left the chunk of bread, and drooled as daughter tucked into a chunky halloumi and pepper sandwich with her soup.
Dinner was smoked haddock and cauliflower cheese.
More coffee and mineral water throughout the afternoon.
Bless my daughter, she knew I needed to get moving, and I have been seeing nice mid 5s on BG meter all day. Yes, I bought her a pre-Christmas gift to thank her for her wisdom and insight into what her old ma needed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome @zauberflote good to have another poster on the thread.

@DJC3 did you get your brownie tin? Just made another batch for our final departmental managers meeting of the year.

Taken out to lunch by my boss today - my team has smashed its target so a meal for all of us plus the rest of the afternoon off. Starter of slices of mozzarella and tomato with a little pesto drizzled over followed by ribeye steak with garlic butter and a small salad to which I added some of the garlic butter. Dessert came before lunch - one of the brownie pieces: took a couple to the office and shared them with our morning tea.

Dinner was a slice of lemon zucchini cake with double cream and then 4 advent calendar chocolates as I’d fallen behind!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Lazy mousse afterwards.
D: Instant pot beef curry with cauliflower rice. Small portion of cheese with a glass of red afterwards

@ianpspurs the bread was a great success - maybe too much so, as eldest daughter popped in on her way home from work and took half the loaf with her for lunches tomorrow and Friday!
I also bought a white ‘toast’ mix as it can be made into brioche type buns with the addition of butter and eggs. Sounds good to me.

@shelley262 those crackers look promising, do you prefer them to your seedy crackers?
Yes they have the edge over the seed crackers and mum says they are loads better as you don’t get the seeds under your teeth! So think will replace seed crackers while she’s here! Nice smooth surface too for spreading pate on to!
Bread sounds great. I’m looking a keto cheese scone recipes at moment as mum says she misses them.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Lazy mousse afterwards.

Glad you enjoyed the black bread. It is just a shame about the cost as it is the closest to the kind of bread I like/liked in the real world

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.

Snack on waking - one square of green & blacks mint chocolate (opened the cupboard and the minty smell just hit me. Couldn’t resist!)

Breakfast - protein peanut & chocolate bar with tea

Lunch - 3 slices of corner beef, half a dozen cherry tomatoes and a cappuccino

Dinner - mushroom, cabbage, onion, beansprouts and a small amount of carrot stir fry with king prawns and Nando’s sauce

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria - I know you have your dogs on an incredibly healthy eating plan. Have you heard of Chicken Carcas Pate for dogs?

It was mentioned in a post in one of the IP related Facebook groups: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1325267087490376/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf&__tn__=C-R

".....I pressure cook the bones for 40 mins, then Thermomix on 10 for a minute, scrape down & the same again. Makes a lovely smooth pâté !...." (Apologies to the FB poster who wrote this.)

Allegedly, it's like crack for dogs! Ooooer vicar.

Reactions: DJC3