What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Naproxen and Codeine all day - original issue solved but the way I sleep has probably caused more problems. Not liking this one bit not so much the inconvenience more the sitting still and needing waiting on - less than 100 steps so far today.

Hope you soon recover. Doesn’t sound like fun at all.

Reactions: zauberflote

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.l
Breakfast - 1 tea, 1 coffee
About 11.30 - handful of dry roasted peanuts and more coffee
3.30 pm - was meant to go for carvery but they were fully booked so ended up at a harvester and really enjoyed steak, chicken and prawns (they were coated in batter so picked most off) with huge side salad and coleslaw. Did treat myself to a baileys coffee whilst the rest of the table were having their dessert.
Won’t eat again today now, although most likely another cuppa at some point this evening

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal your exercise regime today sounds Olympian!
@ianpspurs really sorry to hear about your continuing pain not at all nice
@DJC3 sounds like you did a sterling job with your trainee nurse daughter - wishing her lots of luck and hope the nerves settle
Hope everyone had a great Sunday. It was a mizzy coldday again here in the west so only shortish walk but had catch up with some friends and also got a lot of my to do list ticked off it’s neverending as fast as you do things others get added! Planning day out tomorrow helping with dog walking and meeting youngest should be great.
Breakfast bacon, egg and one slice of Lidl roll toasted (weighed in and worked out as 1.8g carb) delish
Lunch a few nuts and tin of mackerel in olive oil with acv and a few lc herby crackers followed by sliver of remaining hc Yule log
Dinner beef brisket with some roast celeriac and buttered cabbage followed by warm lc cake and yoghurt.
Felt a bit hungry all day think it’s cold grey days!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw Tom Kerridge making this yesterday;
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sausage_rolls_14294
So. Though that I would have a go. Only a quarter of the amount of ingredients and used the crumbled meat from 4 x 97% pork sausages and substituted the carrots for leak. Cooked the whole lot and left to go cold.

Pastry though. So I used this recipe;
https://www.nanaslittlekitchen.com/lighter-low-carb-pastry-crust/cookbook-print/6005/
But, what the heck is THM Baking Blend?
Found this;
https://www.wholesomerecipebox.com/thm-friendly-baking-blend-recipe/

Well, I think that the filling may have been a bit too wet as it took a while for the “pastry” to crisp up. Even though I had it in the fridge for an hour.
Have a bit of almond flour handy to add if the pastry looks a bit sloppy, but not too much as it firms in the fridge. Don’t roll out the pastry too thin either if you fancy making it.

Had it with some braised cabbage flavoured with fennel, red wine vinegar and a splash of stock.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.8. Must have been tired as I slept until 10.30am which is very unusual so a lot of running about to get things done before swimming. No time to push on with the cupboard reorganizing so that will have to wait until tomorrow. Just told Hubby I want the height of some of the shelves changed. No 2 was heinous today and he carried on when I was telling his Mum what he'd been counted for and ended up losing things tomorrow too. Do they ever learn our heads are not buttoned up the back? No 1 is now asking me to test him on the periodic table and he's starting to remember it. Got back from swimming and I have a mountain of towels to get through. Had a delicious dinner though.
B. 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon, fried egg and about 20g of GF black pudding. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing off to swimming.
D. Never had a Sunday roast for ages ! Had a few mixed nuts with my Campari and soda. Rare roast beef with gravy and horseradish, green beans, mushrooms, a wee Yorkshire (4.6g carbs) and celeriac roasties which were great.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weather and light looked amazing today so I hope everyone who wanted to made as much use of the conditions as @Goonergal.
Breakfast: Tea - several pint mugs; Lunch: Cheese and cucumber sandwich with livlife bread; 4 cherry tomatoes; 3 radishes; tea Late afternoon: Tea: Evening meal: CCB Naproxen and Codeine all day - original issue solved but the way I sleep has probably caused more problems. Not liking this one bit not so much the inconvenience more the sitting still and needing waiting on - less than 100 steps so far today. May have cocoa later. Hopefully, that was all low carb.

Oh dear, this has been going on for days now, poor you, must be horrible. You’re usually so active so the enforced relaxation must be hard.

Would you be able to post a photo of your CCBs please? I dont think mine are anything like the genuine article. A cross section would be good too if you have layers in yours.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, this has been going on for days now, poor you, must be horrible. You’re usually so active so the enforced relaxation must be hard.

Would you be able to post a photo of your CCBs please? I dont think mine are anything like the genuine article. A cross section would be good too if you have layers in yours.
CCB images may be tomorrow - my nurse has been busy today. I don't think the 7k steps Friday was the best idea really.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw Tom Kerridge making this yesterday;
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sausage_rolls_14294
So. Though that I would have a go. Only a quarter of the amount of ingredients and used the crumbled meat from 4 x 97% pork sausages and substituted the carrots for leak. Cooked the whole lot and left to go cold.

Pastry though. So I used this recipe;
https://www.nanaslittlekitchen.com/lighter-low-carb-pastry-crust/cookbook-print/6005/
But, what the heck is THM Baking Blend?
Found this;
https://www.wholesomerecipebox.com/thm-friendly-baking-blend-recipe/

Well, I think that the filling may have been a bit too wet as it took a while for the “pastry” to crisp up. Even though I had it in the fridge for an hour.
Have a bit of almond flour hand to add if the pastry looks a bit sloppy, but not too much as it firms in the fridge. Don’t roll out the pastry too thin either if you fancy making it.

Had it with some braised cabbage flavoured with fennel, red wine vinegar and a splash of stock.
THM - Trim Healthy Mamas. Oddly enough I ended up in nana's little kitchen as well today on a click through from one of these 45 best bread recipes from low carb yum. Ended up there because I was tracking like you pastry and something that looked like real bread.
Seems to be readily available in the USA but after more digging I narrowed it down to Organic sprouting grain flour. Been doing a fair bit of reading on it today and, although I think the carb count is still high , it behaves differently in that it behaves more like vegetables when breaking down and doesnt cause a spike in BGs. I'll go on digging tomorrow as it seems some sprouting grain flour is better than others but as least you can get it here.
I saw Tom Kerridge yesterday doing the whole roasted celeriac with the chicken. Didn't want to do a whole roast celeriac but I did follow to make the celeriac roasties today.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weather and light looked amazing today so I hope everyone who wanted to made as much use of the conditions as @Goonergal.
Breakfast: Tea - several pint mugs; Lunch: Cheese and cucumber sandwich with livlife bread; 4 cherry tomatoes; 3 radishes; tea Late afternoon: Tea: Evening meal: CCB Naproxen and Codeine all day - original issue solved but the way I sleep has probably caused more problems. Not liking this one bit not so much the inconvenience more the sitting still and needing waiting on - less than 100 steps so far today. May have cocoa later. Hopefully, that was all low carb.
Hope you recover soon. xx

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
THM - Trim Healthy Mamas. Oddly enough I ended up in nana's little kitchen as well today on a click through from one of these 45 best bread recipes from low carb yum. Ended up there because I was tracking like you pastry and something that looked like real bread.
Seems to be readily available in the USA but after more digging I narrowed it down to Organic sprouting grain flour. Been doing a fair bit of reading on it today and, although I think the carb count is still high , it behaves differently in that it behaves more like vegetables when breaking down and doesnt cause a spike in BGs. I'll go on digging tomorrow as it seems some sprouting grain flour is better than others but as least you can get it here.
I saw Tom Kerridge yesterday doing the whole roasted celeriac with the chicken. Didn't want to do a whole roast celeriac but I did follow to make the celeriac roasties today.
Oh good. Will await your findings on the sprouting grain flour. Sounds promising.
I do like the roasted celeriac but it needs more mouths than just me and Mrs Miggins.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
20-01-20
Midnight snack, several handfuls of almonds:greedy:

Breakfast, tea, bacon, hash browns, egg and tomato, more tea
Took girls to the park, walked round the ponds, then on to playground.
Lunch tomato soup, Heinz, rather more carbs than expected, small piece of bread
Snack chocolate krispie cake and cup of coffee
Dinner, tuna left from yesterday with lettuce and some grated cheese from the same meal. Followed by the remains of yesterdays apple crumble, with custard, made at home so probably less sugar than the readymade version.
Glass of white wine, bought from local shop, not much choice. Should have left it there:yuck:

Dinner was early, might have snack later to try and boost calories

No idea of Cals and carbs

Now girls have gone home, maybe will be better organised
Weighing day tomorrow.
not hungry, no snack, just a cup of tea, with milk !! before bed

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't get time to post yesterday, but i would've had to have taken the carb walk of shame! I was at a training event at lunchtime and it was carbs on carbs on carbs basically. I'll spare you the details, but I was restrained but should have planned ahead. We then had an impromptu visit from a friend who we haven't seen for over a year. We ended up in the pub and again, I wasn't particularly sensible. Mr B had steak and indulged in a couple chips, but left most of them. Today has been far better carb wise:

Breakfast: Almond and vanilla Chia pudding with mixed berries. Coffee with cream.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino.
Lunch: Cheese and onion omelette served with baby spinach.
Dinner: Roast veg (pepper, courgette, aubergine, onion) with haloumi. Served with avocado, coriander, Greek yoghurt and lime dip. Square of 85% Coop choc and decaf coffee with cream and inulin.