What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_369
Thank you :)

@zauberflote
I don't know if or whether it will have any effect on my dodgy knees and hips - if it does then I will be delighted. As for soft tissue issues, I haven't read about that. I have psoriasis and I've not noticed any difference in that - but it has only been three days. If it gets rid of the psoriasis I would be happy to fast for much longer.

I think it's strange that I'm not hungry. I had norovirus a few Christmases ago which lasted over a week and I just assumed the lack of hunger then was the virus - maybe I was wrong.

@ianpspurs

Thank you - it's so nice to have support from the lovely people on this thread. I'm surprised that it's getting easier.
It is counter intuitive that it gets easier but I read that about 48 hrs is the tipping point and found that to be true myself.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It is counter intuitive that it gets easier but I read that about 48 hrs is the tipping point and found that to be true myself.

I'd read about that 48 hours was a problem, so I was ready for it - but I found skipping dinner on day one (24 hours) to be the most difficult - probably because I've never voluntarily missed dinner before in my life.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook you are doing marvellously.

How have your blood glucose numbers been? Impressively low, I expect.

I'm always v impressed with ppl who take to longer fasting as you have done. My attempts to do so were disastrous. I got through 8pm-midnight the following day, with little problem. It was getting to sleep with an empty stomach that second night that did me in! I just lay there and mithered about not sleeping because of hunger, and how I had to get up in the morning, and how it was now 3am and my stomach was eating my spine, and OMG there was yogurt in the fridge...

Probably all in the mind, but gosh it was was powerful. I tried several times, but that second night defeated me every time.

The obvious answer would be to try it at the weekend. Start the fast on Thur eve, and get the Hungry Night on Friday night, with no need to sleep well, or function properly on the Saturday. But I never organised myself well enough to arrange that.

I take my hat off to you!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day three of this fast. Are you all bored with reading my fasting updates? I only ask this because I really am bored with the fast. I didn't realise how much I use food as entertainment.

It has got easier over the days and today I've not been hungry at all. It didn't even bother me when Mr C had his pre-work meal and got his pack-up ready! I will finish my fast with dinner tomorrow evening but I feel that I could gone on further with it. If it works (helps with my arthritis) I think I will make it a regular monthly thing.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee, fruit/herbal teas, plain water.
Very impressive.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria

Thank you for the support - it really does mean a lot and makes the whole thing more do-able.:)

My BGs are down a bit, but nothing as low as I thought they would be though and I'm still getting DP :banghead:. I've put a thread in the Fasting forum bit as I'm confused about Physiological Insulin resistance and fasting.

I was expecting a problem with getting off to sleep but I've been exhausted by the time I've gone to bed and have slept more than I normally do. I would hate to try this if I had to concentrate on work (or drive) because it really is tiring. Yes, I think doing it over a ling weekend (Easter?) would be easier for someone who works.

Reactions: ziggy_w

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook you are amazing! @Brunneria I know exactly what you mean about going to bed that hungry....
May the cheering section encourage me? I seem to be wanting to try the short fast between end of breakfast and 6:00 supper. Done it twice now. Yesterday and this morning BGs very hopeful. Today logistics prevent - ballet class tonight and will need a little fuel pre- and a little “meds fuel” post, so the timing will be off. I’ve also been too stuffed after supper to be able to eat the bedtime snack that goes with the bedtime ibuprofen. Maybe snack lack that also helps FBG? Anyway, I am not finding it easy at all. Starving and jumpy and highly unfocussed by 4:00. Haven’t slept right the last two nights. But lunch is the only meal I can (medically) miss, so I am giving it a try. I know many do this all the time on the puny excuse that they were scrubbing the range hood with new cleaning toys ( @maglil55 I’m looking at you!), but I need PRACTISE!

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook you are amazing! @Brunneria I know exactly what you mean about going to bed that hungry....
May the cheering section encourage me? I seem to be wanting to try the short fast between end of breakfast and 6:00 supper. Done it twice now. Yesterday and this morning BGs very hopeful. Today logistics prevent - ballet class tonight and will need a little fuel pre- and a little “meds fuel” post, so the timing will be off. I’ve also been too stuffed after supper to be able to eat the bedtime snack that goes with the bedtime ibuprofen. Maybe snack lack that also helps FBG? Anyway, I am not finding it easy at all. Starving and jumpy and highly unfocussed by 4:00. Haven’t slept right the last two nights. But lunch is the only meal I can (medically) miss, so I am giving it a try. I know many do this all the time on the puny excuse that they were scrubbing the range hood with new cleaning toys ( @maglil55 I’m looking at you!), but I need PRACTISE!

I'm a firm believer that you have to do what is right for YOU at a time that is right for you - so if IF or skipping meals is making you unhappy or feel uncomfortable then keep doing what works for you. *hug*

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook thanks for your hug! I guess I am just playing at fasting, but the lower bg’s are encouraging me. Mr ZF has started snoring again something awful (how can a tall skinny man snore, right?) and I know that’s coloring my night view. Gotta get that man a new mattress so he can sleep on his side without waking up paralyzed by back pain.
I try to do some sort of fast for Lent (coming up), and CLEARLY cannot fast from using this forum!! ...or give up chocolate... so,,,,Food it may well be!

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote of course the cheering section is here to encourage you! Go for it. I think the key is keeping busy so you are not thinking about the fact you’re missing lunch. Maybe a bit of range hood scrubbing after all?

@Chook what an amazing feat! I can’t believe you’ve done 3 days already ( probably seems a lot longer to you than me) I really hope you see a continued improvement in your health issues.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote of course the cheering section is here to encourage you! Go for it. I think the key is keeping busy so you are not thinking about the fact you’re missing lunch. Maybe a bit of range hood scrubbing after all?

@Chook what an amazing feat! I can’t believe you’ve done 3 days already ( probably seems a lot longer to you than me) I really hope you see a continued improvement in your health issues.

Haha I don’t have one - the microwave is mounted there. I am plennnnty busy without having to resort to spring cleaning but you’re right, having tasks is key.
I have just remembered that in three weeks we are going for a work week at the house on Cape Cod. There will be 5-7 of us and as is traditional, the wimminfolk take turns cooking. And dessert making. I must practise lasagna and maybe a caramel chocolate thingy so I can eat my food too! :hungry: This place is the home of the 4 mile “walk around the lighthouse”. The 4 sibs are all incredibly huge-lung-ed, and when I am able to keep up, I’m flattened at the end. They, meanwhile, have loped along chatting all the way. Then they stop in town and buy pastries. There is no diabetes in their direct lineage, only congenital skinniness

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote

If or when you feel the time is right for you to fast we will all be here cheering you on.

Isn't Lent 40+ days? That's a LONG time to be without chocolate.

Does Mr Z wear PJs? My sister stopped her husband from snoring by sewing a round dog toy in to the back of his PJ top. Alternatively, my method, a sharp elbow in the ribs seems to work.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote

If or when you feel the time is right for you to fast we will all be here cheering you on.

Isn't Lent 40+ days? That's a LONG time to be without chocolate.

Does Mr Z wear PJs? My sister stopped her husband from snoring by sewing a round dog toy in to the back of his PJ top. Alternatively, my method, a sharp elbow in the ribs seems to work.

See? I think I can go without lunch for 40 days but not, say, chocolate or this wonderful forum. I do sincerely respect and agree with your first post, just so you know
On his current mattress, the Mr cannot sleep on his side, currently. He can sleep *through* the pain but waking up is bad to do. He’d taken to sleeping on the far-away side, so far I had to sit up and scootch over to get my hand under his back to poke him. Ribs never worked. He wore a CPAP for some years but suddenly we can’t find a mask that fits, and the whooshing and snorking was just as bad as snoring and snorking. He slept through it, but not I. Arrgh. He keeps saying he’s going to see our dentist, who makes appliances for snoring. Oddly and wonderfully, when we are on the Cape, he never snores. Stress, ya think?
Last night I resorted to earbuds and my white noise app. Today I’m going to remove the mattress, blow up the spare airbed, and see if he can sleep on his side on that much softer surface.
Better get back on topic here!!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, some cheese (all gone chèvre ) and a square of 90% choc. Still drinking the decaf/soy/cream. 2 hr BG up your 0.6. It may continue up but I’m not bothering to check today.
Lunch the rest of this decaf, and Dr Pepper flavored seltzer water
Supper 1: almond butter, butter, cream. A mooshy fat bomb I guess.
Supper 2: very late, some type of bread (would love to finally make my filling and very fiber-loaded brown bread!) with butter.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha I don’t have one - the microwave is mounted there. I am plennnnty busy without having to resort to spring cleaning but you’re right, having tasks is key.
I have just remembered that in three weeks we are going for a work week at the house on Cape Cod. There will be 5-7 of us and as is traditional, the wimminfolk take turns cooking. And dessert making. I must practise lasagna and maybe a caramel chocolate thingy so I can eat my food too! :hungry: This place is the home of the 4 mile “walk around the lighthouse”. The 4 sibs are all incredibly huge-lung-ed, and when I am able to keep up, I’m flattened at the end. They, meanwhile, have loped along chatting all the way. Then they stop in town and buy pastries. There is no diabetes in their direct lineage, only congenital skinniness

Ooh sounds like it might be a tough outing, but you have 3 weeks to get prepared. The Diet Doctor Lasagne would be bound to go down well with everyone - Ive made the lasagne sheets a few days in advance before, you could take them with you.
Good luck with it, and with the mini fasts if you decide to go ahead - I’ve got my cheering loud hailer ready.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook well done on your fasting. I did briefly see your fasting post and although not an expert on fasting I do know that even when have a reading of 3+ on my caresens dual bg and blood ketones meter I now - 18 months after starting ketosis never register on urine keto sticks. When started they used to be dark purple but now looks like I’m not in nutritional ketosis but clearly am so sure you are too keep going if it’s something you’re keen to do for autophagy reasons.
I was very busy today missed breakfast deliberately as at gym for induction and then life got hectic so no lunch @zauberflote must be difficult when need to eat for meds im lucky at moment as not on any.
Dinner - cold and hungry nibbled walnuts and almonds whilst cooking. Main chicken breast on bed of cabbage and mushrooms cooked in ghee with small glass of red followed by slice lc lemon cake with yoghurt plus decaf coffee and cream and two 100% cocoa buttons
Have a good evening all. I’m hoping to pop in to gym first thing tomorrow as need to learn a routine on the weights machines. I was also introduced to the cross trainer all credit to you @ziggy_w often doing 30+ mins I struggled with 10 but will try and keep it up and slowly increase times

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
No breakfast today again but an awful lot of coffee. Went for a lovely walk along the canal this morning and channelled my inner Rosie and Jim watching the barges go through the locks.

Lunch was a sort of tuna melt - a pot of Sainsbury’s tuna pate with toasted 90 second bread. Choc chia pud to follow.

Dinner was Kedgeree using cauliflower rice then a scoop of salted caramel Oppo. I could very easily have eaten the whole tub.

A very fishy but satisfying day.
@Rachox how are you managing those stairs?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DJC3 I think make the lasagna pasta there. All work on the Cape is play! Not sure pasta would check through so well anyway, and not about to challenge TSA with it at carry-on baggage
Thanks @shelley262 ! “Gym Induction” sounds awfully sinister!!!! I’m the one who always packs whatever meal I’ll need while out. Lifelong habit. Mostly, I hate any restaurant food I can afford, so eating out on a per diem when on tour was mostly miserable.

Reactions: dunelm and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I think make the lasagna pasta there. All work on the Cape is play! Not sure pasta would check through so well anyway, and not about to challenge TSA with it at carry-on baggage
Thanks @shelley262 ! “Gym Induction” sounds awfully sinister!!!! I’m the one who always packs whatever meal I’ll need while out. Lifelong habit. Mostly, I hate any restaurant food I can afford, so eating out on a per diem when on tour was mostly miserable.
Gym induction was just a personal trainer demonstrating machines and checking my posture and how did the exercise on the machines think I will ache later!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So we have a gym doe, fabulous faster and a flautist who flouts the notion of eschewing chocolate - not to mention snoring spouses. It is all go on this forum. Hope you all had good days and didn't feel the need to resign from anything.
Lots of tea and water for me today until 14.00 hrs. Cheese sandwich in Dr Almond black bread and cold, pigeon size, chicken . Beef and pork mince with tomatoes, mushrooms and swede and celeriac cubes hand cut by yours truly. Some stock and water and finally thickened with coconut cream.
Highlights today: No more joints seized up and recently freed ones about 90%; stacked 2 wheelbarrows of logs; not hungry. I await seized up joints in a couple of days.
Edited to add cleaning my green bin was also a highlight - just to show how we have fun in the fens.

Reactions: zauberflote