What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Today turned into an OMAD day due to a huge lunch.

@dunelm finally got around to trying your carnivore pizza recipe. Tweaked it a bit - used 80g pork crackling. Saw the 90g bag of Mr Porky, but it had all sorts of additives (including MSG) so went for 2 x 40g bags of Awfully Posh pork crackling which contains only pork rind and salt; omitted cheddar and doubled quantity of mozzarella. Topping was pepperoni and some Polish Wiejska sausage plus some sliced mozzarella left over from last week.

Ingredients formed a very dough like ball and pizza was a good size. Would probably roll it out a bit thinner - at least in the middle - another time as only the crust got crispy. Might also try without the egg. Tasted pretty good.

Dessert was the whipped creamy cheese chocolate mousse.

Edited to correct typo.

@Goonergal - nice bit of tweaking. I suppose taking out the egg is the next logical step.

In Northumberland at present doing a spot of coast walking. Just over 10 miles today, to Bamburgh.

Breakfast; bacon, egg, sausage, mushroom, tomato.
Lunch; scallops with black pudding and pea shoots.
Dinner; gammon, eggs, salad, double merlot.
Burp!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
21/03
breakfast: 2 slices burgen toast with 50g castello blue cheese. 5 dried apricots. 2 cups tea
lunch: 2 hash browns, rasher of bacon, spinach with butter, 2 fried eggs, tea
dinner fried rice dish: 35g rice, with onion, red pepper, celery, peas, chicken pieces, prawns. Also 2 vegan chorizo style with red pepper sausages sliced up and thrown in. ( bit tasteless, not buying again) flavoured with jerk seasoning and turmeric. oh and a single jalepeno pepper, sliced up and thrown in, finished off the jar! Then the chocolate eclair, from a different source, looked larger, probably more than 19g carbs.
Glass of wine for stress relief.
couple of coffees and teas in the day

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Back to OMAD today again! Ended up having to make the 1.5mile walk to the doctors this morning and just done with my exercises for the night.

Breakfast: CWC (Muahahaha)
Lunch: Nada
Dinner: Slow cooked lamb shank with roasted cauliflower, broccoli and celeriac with some leftover gammon all seasoned up with some paprika and turmeric, it was luuuuuush.

Got in some coconut and almond flour along with pink Himalayan salt for fasting days so looking up!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to OMAD today again! Ended up having to make the 1.5mile walk to the doctors this morning and just done with my exercises for the night.

Breakfast: CWC (Muahahaha)
Lunch: Nada
Dinner: Slow cooked lamb shank with roasted cauliflower, broccoli and celeriac with some leftover gammon all seasoned up with some paprika and turmeric, it was luuuuuush.

Got in some coconut and almond flour along with pink Himalayan salt for fasting days so looking up!
What do you have planned for the coconut and almond flour? Do I sense a baking spree? By the way, it's worth experimenting with some recipes and using ground almonds in place of the almond flour. The almond flour is really expensive and often ground almonds will work fine. The mug cake I made this evening used ground almonds and it was delish!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
What do you have planned for the coconut and almond flour? Do I sense a baking spree? By the way, it's worth experimenting with some recipes and using ground almonds in place of the almond flour. The almond flour is really expensive and often ground almonds will work fine. The mug cake I made this evening used ground almonds and it was delish!

Perhaps I have a fair few cunning plans for all of this! Well yes I am going to be going on a baking spree, got some cocoa and so on plus I do want to try the 3 minute bread out too so I can shunt my Dad into keto a little more too. Thanks for the tip with the ground almonds, I will have to remember that one. Was pondering getting going with a keto coffee cake too because I seriously miss that and it'll be a nice treat for the weekends.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee (BC!)
Lunch out at Prèt a Manger: salmon, avocado, spinach and egg protein box with a Diet Coke.
Mid afternoon: raspberry PhD bar and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom and mature cheddar omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Banana prawn sandwiches.
Dinner: Baked pork chops and veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast, Cheese and mushrooms omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, black tea, water, and a couple of cold Goldies.
Ok...not wanting to derail the thread but chocolate and Easter egg lovers, please head over here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lc-easter-eggs.162523/
Been there before I came here :D

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Another late night.

@Emma_369 -- Hope your husband feels better soon, food poisoning is really nasty. You might consider going to emergency if starts feeling any worse.

@zauberflote and @BibaBee -- To be honest, I had never heard of replacing chocolate with carob before. When I saw it in the vegan section of the supermarket, I was just looking for a thickener. Have used gelatin, chia flour, xantham gum and guar gum in the past, but didn't really like the consistency. Egg yolk works well, but is a bit finicky to work with (you have to heat the liquid, but prevent it from boiling). Carob is really very similar to food starch, very easy to work with, you just have to add it to cold liquid and stir while the liquid starts boiling.

Next time, however, I will probably blend it with water before adding it to the mixture, the chocolate pudding had a few clots, which luckily disappeared after a day. The recipe was really very simple: Double cream (200ml), clotted cream (2 tablespoons), water (300 ml), erythritol (about 5 tablespoons), cocoa fiber (three tablespoons) and two teaspoons of carob -- came to about 2g of carbs per 100g. So, really low carb.

Had an appointment with my GP today to talk about the blood tests, I will have on Monday. The meeting went really well. We agreed on HbA1c, cholesterol with HDL and LDL (can calculate trigs based on the other three), and liver function test to see how my liver deals with 1 glass of red wine per day on average.

Then we also talked about remission. Although, I have had normal, non-diabetic HbA1c for almost four years, I am still listed as T2 -- and every time I get a referral, the referral form states an HbA1c of 11.3%, which imo can be a bit misleading. Anyway, GP agreed that I am not really diabetic anymore and that he does not see a reason that this would change in the future.

He said, however, that he wasn't sure what would happen if I went back to carbs. I did agree with him on this and said that I consider myself carb-intolerant and didn't see any reason I would ever go back to eating carbs, especially as I don't really miss them.

So, all in all a very productive meeting. I see this has turned out to be a longer post than anticipated. Sorry if I have hijacked the thread a bit.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, now here's the food for today.

Breakfast: Two DDEWCAE (double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol). Two tablespoons of keto chocolate pudding.

Lunch: The last of the low-carb Pad Thai with prawns.

Dinner: 2 tablespoons of keto chocolate pudding. A small hamburger patty with cheddar, lamb's lettuce, half a red onion, three baby tomatoes, and a sauce made of mayonnaise and low-carb ketchup.

Snack: About 60g of chicken liver pate and about 30g of smoked sockeye salmon, a glass of red wine.

This sounds like a huge amount of food, but was surprised that according to Cronometer it was only about 1000 calories.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Emma_369 I hope Mr Emma is on his way to feeling better by now.
@ziggy_w what an intelligent and common sensical GP you have!
Bfast U1/2A, E, DW2C. Go ahead, chew on it :hilarious:
Lunch seltzer and eventually being ravenous. Grocery shopping was a test of how much I could walk past. The cheese case got me a slice of a Vermont cheddar I don’t think I’ve had in 50 years. Not opened yet.
Allofasudden it was time to feed the cats, me, and get to work.
Supper spinach wilted with hm dressing, celery, tin of sardines with dressing. That’s some good dressing I made. 2 slices (1/3 “loaf”)microwave bread, toasted, with olive oil on it. Still very HTS-ish. Of course I should have stopped there but I was tired and my tummy was still lonely. Almond butter/butter filling for the bread I’d just eaten. Naturally, too much of it.
Mr ZF, who just got over a cold a few weeks ago, has come down with something bad enough that he went and bought himself 5 cans of Progresso soup and one can of Campbell’s original chicken noodle. This is the average American family’s treatment for someone who feels miserable- Campbell’s chicken noodle soup with buttered toast. Us 50’s kids were fed it, and fed it to our kids. It’s still around!
Sleep well all sleepers, and good morning early risers!

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps I have a fair few cunning plans for all of this! Well yes I am going to be going on a baking spree, got some cocoa and so on plus I do want to try the 3 minute bread out too so I can shunt my Dad into keto a little more too. Thanks for the tip with the ground almonds, I will have to remember that one. Was pondering getting going with a keto coffee cake too because I seriously miss that and it'll be a nice treat for the weekends.
I like that expression “shunt my Dad into keto a little more” as that’s a bit like what I am trying to do with wife and daughter is shunt them out of a high carb diet. But Mrs Listlad is a bit resistant. LOL.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some Almond butter the other day. I was looking for peanut butter instead but came away with almond butter and thought it might be useful. It says 100% almonds on the side but it is quite oily. But the only use I have put it to is on Burgan bread toast. I suppose it might have been useful to make the keto choc spread with?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some Almond butter the other day. I was looking for peanut butter instead but came away with almond butter and thought it might be useful. It says 100% almonds on the side but it is quite oily. But the only use I have put it to is on Burgan bread toast. I suppose it might have been useful to make the keto choc spread with?
With almond butter, there is usually a fair amount of oil that settles on top. Have you tried giving it a good stir or incorporate the oil back in. And yes, it might work if you mix in cocoa and sweetener to make a chocolate spread, extra oil might be needed to get it to the right consistency.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Listlad my almond butter is so runny that even after frequent stirring and weeks in frig it doesn’t solidify. Another good (simple no-bake) use for it is on celery, just as I would peanut butter except messier. Interestingly, my peanuts and almonds (and both butters) have the same carb numbers. Go to town with your baking spree! And I hope young Miss Listlad can influence her mother in some way. “Mum, you HAVE to try this stuff Dad made!!! It’s AWESOME!!” Two of @maglil55 ‘s best customers are kids.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad my almond butter is so runny that even after frequent stirring and weeks in frig it doesn’t solidify. Another good (simple no-bake) use for it is on celery, just as I would peanut butter except messier. Interestingly, my peanuts and almonds (and both butters) have the same carb numbers. Go to town with your baking spree! And I hope young Miss Listlad can influence her mother in some way. “Mum, you HAVE to try this stuff Dad made!!! It’s AWESOME!!” Two of @maglil55 ‘s best customers are kids.
Yes, this almond butter is the same. Very runny.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello everyone - I'm still not well, is it possible to have flu after having had the flu jab? If it's not flu then it's a REALLY horrible cold. I think I was running a temperature this morning (again) so had a rummage through the bathroom cupboard to find the forehead thermometer - then realised it probably won't be particularly accurate as I bought it when my daughter was a toddler and she turned 40 last year. Time to get a new one I think. :rolleyes:

All this talk of almond butter.... I might have to try a spoonful or two mixed with some extra thick double cream I have which needs using up.

@ianpspurs I am so sorry to hear about Julie and I hope she feels a bit better soon.

@SlimLizzy My husband had similar symptoms to yours and was investigated for the same thing. Eventually the symptoms went away on their own and I do so that yours do too. The waiting for appointments and results is awful.

Yesterday's food was low carb comfort food
Breakfast: Avocado
Lunch: Cheese and some chocolate
Dinner: coronation chicken and lettuce
Snacks: Couple of glasses of wine

Today - more comfort food....
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Cheese and some chocolate
Dinner: M&S sirloin steak with herb butter and lamb ribs - might have a bit of salad with it but might not - not sure
Snacks: Couple of glasses of wine

Reactions: dunelm and maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Chook I’m sorry you’re still sick - yes it is possible to get the flu after having the shot. This year’s was supposed to be I think 60-70% effective... but don’t discount sinus or bronchial secondary infections, either. Yuk. I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself with the lc comfort food!
Somebody else here mixes almond butter with extra thick cream too. I cut to the chase and go right with the butter lol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, my phone died yesterday so couldn’t post and I csn’t actually remember what I ate - oh dear!
@Chook I’m so sorry you are still ill, it’s really dragged on hasn’t it? There are a lot of horrible respiratory infections other than flu and as @zauberflote says the flu jab isn’t always 100% effective - they have to anticipate a year in advance what the antigenic structure of the virus is likely to be next season (it drifts slightly over time) so they can make the appropriate vaccine, but sometimes it drifts in a slightly different direction. Whatever you’ve got I hope you’re over it soon, it sounds rough.
Today’s food
CWC and TWAM through the morning
Brunch:cheese, mushroom and asparagus omelette
dinner: chicken breast stuffed with chorizo and roast lc veg. Then rhubarb snd Gk yog
Going back to read all the posts I’ve missed now.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all, my phone died yesterday so couldn’t post and I csn’t actually remember what I ate - oh dear!
@Chook I’m so sorry you are still ill, it’s really dragged on hasn’t it? There are a lot of horrible respiratory infections other than flu and as @zauberflote says the flu jab isn’t always 100% effective - they have to anticipate a year in advance what the antigenic structure of the virus is likely to be next season (it drifts slightly over time) so they can make the appropriate vaccine, but sometimes it drifts in a slightly different direction. Whatever you’ve got I hope you’re over it soon, it sounds rough.
Today’s food
CWC and TWAM through the morning
Brunch:cheese, mushroom and asparagus omelette
dinner: chicken breast stuffed with chorizo and roast lc veg. Then rhubarb snd Gk yog
Going back to read all the posts I’ve missed now.
I managed to forget my PIN for the card I use all the time when I was at th physio this morning. Thankfully I have more than one card. I also remembered the PIN when I was half way home.