What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 syrup on Yorkshire pudding??? That’s blasphemous!! So do you make them individually in cupcake tuns? My mom used to make a single 8x8 one, so those who wanted crust and those who wanted eggy goo could each get their wish. The corners were magnificent !
Welcome @cireland !
@Rachox that “.....” makes my Sundays I’m not familiar with “....”, is that the photo of one? Ah I see @Listlad answers my question.
Today was a feast day due to circumstances and a weak will, and I felt So Much Better compared to yesterday. However. Just as I coax the choco-caffeine-high BG’s down a bit, a day like today happens. Ah well.
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg w dijon, DWSAC.
Lunch (!) celery with a Navy mess-sized ladle...
Supper at reception following wonderful recital that had Mom in raptures, raw cruciferous things, 1 cherry tom, and attendant gas. Mom had fruit, asst veg, and a piece of obviously home made German chocolate cake brownie bar, which didn’t appeal to me At All. Then out to the open-windowed car for grilled tune sandwiches, mine on LC tortilla.
Took Mom back. Someone had slept in her bed while we were out, so there was hoo-ha while aide changed linen. But all ended well.
Thought about chocolate all the way home, so had a square before walking, very satisfying.
Back to business as usual tomorrow!
Sleep well and good morning!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
For those who like me hate video recipes, I just put @Listlad ‘s chocolate gelato recipe in CMT recipe circle. I was drooling all the way through!

Reactions: DJC3

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those who like me hate video recipes, I just put @Listlad ‘s chocolate gelato recipe in CMT recipe circle. I was drooling all the way through!
Ha. Yes. My wife uses them a lot. So the idea caught on with me. But I see where you are coming from.

I might try a different flavour next time. Not sure how but might experiment somehow. I wonder if I puréed raspberries it would work the same way? Or almond butter?

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 syrup on Yorkshire pudding??? That’s blasphemous!! So do you make them individually in cupcake tuns? My mom used to make a single 8x8 one, so those who wanted crust and those who wanted eggy goo could each get their wish. The corners were magnificent !
Welcome @cireland !
@Rachox that “.....” makes my Sundays I’m not familiar with “....”, is that the photo of one? Ah I see @Listlad answers my question.
Today was a feast day due to circumstances and a weak will, and I felt So Much Better compared to yesterday. However. Just as I coax the choco-caffeine-high BG’s down a bit, a day like today happens. Ah well.
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg w dijon, DWSAC.
Lunch (!) celery with a Navy mess-sized ladle...
Supper at reception following wonderful recital that had Mom in raptures, raw cruciferous things, 1 cherry tom, and attendant gas. Mom had fruit, asst veg, and a piece of obviously home made German chocolate cake brownie bar, which didn’t appeal to me At All. Then out to the open-windowed car for grilled tune sandwiches, mine on LC tortilla.
Took Mom back. Someone had slept in her bed while we were out, so there was hoo-ha while aide changed linen. But all ended well.
Thought about chocolate all the way home, so had a square before walking, very satisfying.
Back to business as usual tomorrow!
Sleep well and good morning!

I think it’s a peculiarly Yorkshire thing - when growing up Mr C’s family always had a great pile of puds before their roast dinner and the choice of syrup or gravy to wet them. It worked well in his family, with 3 growing boys and very little income it was a cheap and easy way to fill their tums and save on the expensive meat. I make them in muffin tins but my mum always made a big one. Some pubs and restaurants here do a giant Yorkshire pud filled with a roast dinner or sausage and mash. Great rib sticking fare!
I love the mental image I’m getting of your Navy mess size ladle - was it full of almond butter?
Appalled at the thought of someone having been in your poor mum’s bed while she was out - is there someone called Goldilocks there?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you go to the host site; in this instance something like Keto Connect, I think, the recipe is there in standard written format.

It didn't make it to my CMT, but then having had a tiny tip of the spoon taste of some rich, almost black, ganache from MrB's beautifully fluffy chocolate fudge cake a couple of weeks ago, that was my first chocolate in probably a couple of years.

Yes. I'm just plain odd. :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Question for the IP aficionados. How rare does the 4 minute beef come out - say for a 1.5kg piece. In my case I wanting very rare ideally and IP doesn't seem to do that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question for the IP aficionados. How rare does the 4 minute beef come out - say for a 1.5kg piece. In my case I wanting very rare ideally and IP doesn't seem to do that.

The well done/rare is defined by how long you rest (keep warm) the beef, once cooked. Clearly 4 minutes isn't a long cooking time at all, depending on the size of the joint.

I know your IP isn't of that brand, but the Facebook IP UK Group is absolutely fab for queries such as this.

As MrB does a low, slow roast on our beef (like yesterday), I have done the 4-minute, and it was very good, but it isn't a regular thing in this hacienda.

@DJC3 did her joint this way recently, if I recall correctly, so she may have some recent wisdom to offer you.

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I live in Yorkshire but wasn't brought up here but I used to have Yorkshire Pudding with golden syrup drizzled over when I was small. Yummy!!!

According to a very elderly neighbour (think flat cap, braces and a Jack Russell), his Mum used to cook a massive Yorkshire Pudding which they would have hot with gravy as a sort of starter, then their dinner which was usually a soup made with marrowfat peas or yellow split peas, onion and potato with a hint of meat and a chunk of bread, then yet another slab of YP (almost cold this time) with syrup over for dessert - so basically carb followed by carb with carb followed by yet more carb with even more carb. Any actual meat was reserved for his father. My neighbour thinks my way of eating is very funny and very likely to kill me.

So, today....

Breakfast: None due to retinopathy eye test
Lunch: Almond mug cake with blackberries
Dinner: Some more of yesterday's oxcheek, swede, celeriac and leek stew
Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Yorkshire but wasn't brought up here but I used to have Yorkshire Pudding with golden syrup drizzled over when I was small. Yummy!!!

According to a very elderly neighbour (think flat cap, braces and a Jack Russell), his Mum used to cook a massive Yorkshire Pudding which they would have hot with gravy as a sort of starter, then their dinner which was usually a soup made with marrowfat peas or yellow split peas, onion and potato with a hint of meat and a chunk of bread, then yet another slab of YP (almost cold this time) with syrup over for dessert - so basically carb followed by carb with carb followed by yet more carb with even more carb. Any actual meat was reserved for his father.

Yes, yorkshire pud as a filler with whatever main course meat and veg, followed by yorkshire pud and jam as dessert.
I’ve worked with a few people who were brought up that way.

Sadly, I have never found a decent LC yorkshire pud. Do love a good Toad In The Hole.

My grandparents were Cornish. They used to put golden syrup on toast. With clotted cream. Called it Thunder and Lightning. Of course the syrup had to be drzzled in zigzags, like lightning.
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/thunderandlightning.htm
I guess that could be Low carbed, with LC bread, the cream, and one of those da Vinci syrups. Or similar.

Viv19

Yes, yorkshire pud as a filler with whatever main course meat and veg, followed by yorkshire pud and jam as dessert.
I’ve worked with a few people who were brought up that way.

Sadly, I have never found a decent LC yorkshire pud. Do love a good Toad In The Hole.

My grandparents were Cornish. They used to put golden syrup on toast. With clotted cream. Called it Thunder and Lightning. Of course the syrup had to be drzzled in zigzags, like lightning.
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/thunderandlightning.htm
I guess that could be Low carbed, with LC bread, the cream, and one of those da Vinci syrups. Or similar.

Yorkshire pud is a pancake mix with no sweetening, just a different shape. I’ve never eaten it sweet but it makes sense that it can be :)
I really like toad in the hole too.

Reactions: zauberflote

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have always had our yorkshire puds as a dessert. Steaming hot straight from the oven, smothered in butter and a generous sprinkling of sugar. It wasn't until I moved away to go to college that I saw anyone eating them on their dinner with gravy. My son-in-law eats them as a dessert but with warmed up gravy. They are puddings, after all!! ;)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@maglil55
Which Dr Almond bread are you using?
After seeing you mention it, I went Google-scouting and found the website. Ended up ordering 3 different bread types for Mr B to try, plus (be still my heart) their version of a choux pastry mix, suitable for (hear that heartrate rising to dangerous levels?) profiteroles.

Yes, my friends, PROFITEROLES

These have always been my bête noire. Utterly irrisitable on a menu, but usually disappointing when sampled. Often because of foul vanilla sickened cream fillings, and poor quality choc sauce. Of course MY profiteroles will have neither of those two failings. Will probably save the pack to make up at Easter.
have found chocolate eclairs to be the lowest carb cream cake. Obviously for many 19-25g are unacceptable, but for those of us with more generous allowances. Mmm.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yorkshire pud is a pancake mix with no sweetening, just a different shape. I’ve never eaten it sweet but it makes sense that it can be :)
I really like toad in the hole too.
LC yorkshire pudding is difficult to imagine, but try searching for vegan yorkshires, that is impossible.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ha. Yes. My wife uses them a lot. So the idea caught on with me. But I see where you are coming from.

I might try a different flavour next time. Not sure how but might experiment somehow. I wonder if I puréed raspberries it would work the same way? Or almond butter?

Espresso powder? Choc-moch? Almond butter would mess up the proportions? but almond extract plus chunked almonds would work. Butter pecan maybe use double cream for some of the cream, and chunked pecans? Add chunked high% choc to some flavor? Coconut (eew)? Puréed fruit would mess with proportions but definitely try that one- I want to know how it turns out!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to say I’ve spent the last 1/2 hr breaking up my fabulous HC 70%dark chocolate and ginger egg into 10g bits! Each wrapped in clingfilm ( not good as I’m trying to save on plastic waste) and frozen as advised by @Goonergal. I feel much better now it’s done and I can take one little parcel out daily (3g carb for a 10g portion, which I have to say is tiny!)
Many thanks for that suggestion Goonergal- You have saved me from myself!
will have to try this with my cadburys dark milk. currently am not overindulging, by leaving it in the shop

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The well done/rare is defined by how long you rest (keep warm) the beef, once cooked. Clearly 4 minutes isn't a long cooking time at all, depending on the size of the joint.

I know your IP isn't of that brand, but the Facebook IP UK Group is absolutely fab for queries such as this.

As MrB does a low, slow roast on our beef (like yesterday), I have done the 4-minute, and it was very good, but it isn't a regular thing in this hacienda.

@DJC3 did her joint this way recently, if I recall correctly, so she may have some recent wisdom to offer you.

@ianpspurs yes, as @DCUKMod says, it depends on how long you leave it afterwards. Ours was 1kg so did HP for 4 mins, NR for 30min then rest for 30 mins. It was pink but no blood ooze.
I have cooked much larger bits and just allowed longer NR. There’s a chart on the facebook page with a lot of people’s timings and results.
I love this method as topside becomes an edible roast - I’ve never considered it a roasting joint, always found it tough unless sliced wafer thin.

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

According to a very elderly neighbour (think flat cap, braces and a Jack Russell), his Mum used to cook a massive Yorkshire Pudding which they would have hot with gravy as a sort of starter, then their dinner which was usually a soup made with marrowfat peas or yellow split peas, onion and potato with a hint of meat and a chunk of bread, then yet another slab of YP (almost cold this time) with syrup over for dessert - so basically carb followed by carb with carb followed by yet more carb with even more carb. Any actual meat was reserved for his father. My neighbour thinks my way of eating is very funny and very likely to kill me.

So, today....

Breakfast: None due to retinopathy eye test
Lunch: Almond mug cake with blackberries
Dinner: Some more of yesterday's oxcheek, swede, celeriac and leek stew
Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water
My Mum used to do the three course Yorkshires for our family, with sugar sandwiches too, no wonder we have type 2 diabetes

Reactions: Goonergal

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I love the mental image I’m getting of your Navy mess size ladle - was it full of almond butter?
Appalled at the thought of someone having been in your poor mum’s bed while she was out - is there someone called Goldilocks there?

Have to stop talking about Yorkshire pudding now many memories. Probably dark Karo on corn bread was my family’s peculiarity!
Oh yes, the ladle was full of almond butter, leading to this morning’s FBG...
That’s memory care for you, at a facility in, um, flux. Wandering is common to many dementia patients, and there are not enough aides to watch where each one goes. Mom hasn’t yet wandered, and we hope to keep her content enough that she doesn’t, but never know the future. Thanks!