What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm fancy name for a Philly cheese steak. How can you eat like that when it’s 102F out there? Although... it just occurs to me that non-carby meals don’t raise my heart rate. This will be an interesting summer to test that!
@Chook poor let-go driver was probably clinging to the familiar. For me, stress=Do Need Familiar Routine To Anchor Me. ETA just had another thought about what @ianpspurs said about atypicalness of this forum: personality has much to do with it. I am a type who seeks out support for issues where I’m completely ignorant. One of the things that has kept me on this WOE path is specifically this thread and the ppl here. If I were a different type of person, I might never have even looked online (or locally or whatever suits the tech temperament) for help, info, advice. So, to state the obvious, we self-select. I’m hopeless with metric as we never made the switch back when we were supposed to. How many tbsp would 100g brie be? Glad it stops your DP!! And long live chocolate
@ianpspurs I agree with you re this forum not being typical of at least T2. I was eating in a restaurant next to a long table of good ol’ boys, and overheard their discussion of their T2. They’d all ordered dessert. They were talking which meds they used. I was trying to get the mango gloop off my fish...maybe you know the type- our good ol’ boys are semi-retired businessmen with connections to everything local, philanthropists with their time and gifts, doting granddads, do anything to help you, and country boys at heart. And here, perfect Virginia Gentlemen.

No idea what’s for food today beyond usual bfast and seltzer, and 2 suppers. Last night Barre (fancy name for toning class), tonight ballet. There’d better be some musical work in between meals!

@zauberflote - yes, I think they have named it after the Pedernales river - maybe the river looks like melted Philly cheese?

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook

I know. It is just so desperately frustratingly tragic.
I have a colleague who is T2, overweight, and on a couple of meds. She hangs everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - on low calorie dieting and weight loss. Every year for the past 6 (which is as long as I have known her) she has gauged her happiness and her health by the reading she gets from her bathroom scales. She probably gains and loses the same 40 pounds at least once a year. Loves carbs, snacks, treats and sweeties, but so long as she isn't gaining weight, she is happy. Starves before holidays. Eats chocolate all Xmas. And the only time she takes any notice of her blood glucose is the annual HbA1c, where she gets ticked off by the nurse, told to lose weight, and has her medication reviewed.

Today:
B: 2 slices Dr Almond, toasted with peanut butter
L: prawns in brinjal pickle cream
D: will be cheesy mince

I need to retrospectively suspend my carnivory for the last 3? 4? days, on account of that Dr Almond bread.
And I also need to accept that I will do the same for the next 2 loaves, if they are as good.
HOWEVER there have been no unwanted gut repercussions from the 2 slices a day I have been having, which is a MAJOR win.
Will wait til the weekend before making up the next loaf.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Chook

I know. It is just so desperately frustratingly tragic.
I have a colleague who is T2, overweight, and on a couple of meds. She hangs everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - on low calorie dieting and weight loss. Every year for the past 6 (which is as long as I have known her) she has gauged her happiness and her health by the reading she gets from her bathroom scales. She probably gains and loses the same 40 pounds at least once a year. Loves carbs, snacks, treats and sweeties, but so long as she isn't gaining weight, she is happy. Starves before holidays. Eats chocolate all Xmas. And the only time she takes any notice of her blood glucose is the annual HbA1c, where she gets ticked off by the nurse, told to lose weight, and has her medication reviewed.

Today:
B: 2 slices Dr Almond, toasted with peanut butter
L: prawns in brinjal pickle cream
D: will be cheesy mince

I need to retrospectively suspend my carnivory for the last 3? 4? days, on account of that Dr Almond bread.
And I also need to accept that I will do the same for the next 2 loaves, if they are as good.
HOWEVER there have been no unwanted gut repercussions from the 2 slices a day I have been having, which is a MAJOR win.
Will wait til the weekend before making up the next loaf.

Hi @Brunneria - could you give me a link to the Mr Almond bread you are enjoying. Ta muchly. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria SO glad the Dr Almond bread agrees with your gut. Happy gut= happy you! Not judging you for non-carnivory
I don’t know, @dunelm , does that river look like melted cheese? Yuk!
I have, tada!, just discovered Dr Davis’ all purpose baking mix to be made at home. Mostly almond, some coconut, a little psyllium optional. Yay me!
Question (it followed in my rabbit chasing for the baking mix). Is treacle molasses? From cane?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, lots of lovely sunshine today (at the moment). :)

I'm a bit gobsmacked this morning - someone (a lorry driver) who works in my husband's department has been finally 'let go' due to increasing peripheral neuropathy in his feet and diabetic issues with his eyes (not sure exactly what). Mr C had to do all the interviews during his decline and the driver in question is devastated as he is only in his mid 50s. Thing is, he's Type 2, and a while back Mr C and he had talked about me using low carb as a way of controlling it . After the final interview and as they were saying goodbye Mr C asked him (off the record) whether he had thought any more about low carb and the driver said - incredibly - that it wasn't for him because he would hate life without eating bread. ***?!?! :banghead:

Breakfast: 100g Brie (no carbs) - woo hoo - I've finally found something that stops my dawn phenomenon from rising - its the first thing I've found that works as well as bacon and eggs.

Lunch: 30g mixed nuts: pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts - maybe a bit of chocolate if I can find some in the freezer - unusual for me but I'm in a chocolate kinda mood

Dinner: @Dr Snoddy 's masala eggs - modified to use what I already have in my kitchen (Asda delivery scheduled for tomorrow) . I'm using ordinary cherry tomatoes, half a red chilli (no seeds) and fresh coriander.

Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water

That is so very sad about your husband’s colleague, but also beggars belief that he didn’t try because he couldn’t bear to live without bread. Carb addiction it would appear is as strong as any substance abuse

Great news about your breakfast though, and I would imagine it keeps you full til lunchtime easily.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
1mad (I am ignoring the taster cubes of cheese in Market Street land) due to sleeping until about 8.30. Later waking is something I have worked on this year. The meal was Hereford flat brisket - I probably had about 400+ gms, mushrooms, butternut squash and mushroom stir fry. Odd mix in many ways but the stir fry and BNS were at use by date. Brisket was better than most - 30 mins in Heston's IP - nice layer of fat still on the top. Tea and coffee to drink.
Think that was LC and maybe keto. Just eaten and debating if or when to use exercise bike and if to test @2hrs. Like the late waking and hesitant about faffing about with diet to lower bg in case it derails my progress with that. Body doesn't like something atm, resting hr hit 60 today - me no likey.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2boiled eggs and a couple of buttered lc seedy crackers for breakfast.
Lunch out in Charlestown which is a very pretty harbour near us. Cod loin wrapped in bacon with wilted spinach. Fizzy water to drink. It didn’t fill me up at all even though it was a lovely fresh bit of fish. I can only assume it was the lack of fat. When we got home I went a bit mad - brazil nuts, Greek yoghurt, almond butter and CWC. Finally felt a bit better. Lots of tea with almond milk ( sorry, TWAM)
Dinner belly pork, didn’t have much in the way of veg in the house so did Mr C roast spuds and fried a courgette in the pork fat for me. Only ate about 4 mouthfuls - the mid afternoon snacking had caught up with me and I wasn’t ( and still not) hungry.
Was a bit squeamish when preparing belly pork to find 2 nipples on it - told Mr C who just shrugged and said ‘what do you expect?’ But then he grew up eating home made ‘pig’s face’ sandwiches, complete with bristles and recognisable eyelids so not much puts him off.
Tell me honestly would this sight bother you? ( have to say after cooking, when crackling was all bubbled up and crispy, you couldn’t tell where they were)
IMG_7195.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all busy day again but managed to fit all in just! Working day - plus lots of other stuff so went for Omad - meant that I could get started early and also use my lunch break to go on a hike as sun was out - I needed some sunshine and otherwise would have been stuck at pc all day! Also sent OH to pick up some stuff and he came across montezumas on offer at Sainsburys! Not tried it before but heard @Goonergal rating it - at 8g carb per 100g and delicious too. It’s down to £1.50 per 100g bar in Sainsburys and is on offer in absolute black 100% or absolute black with orange oil and cocoa nibs!
Dinner steakon bed of mushroom sauce with some lc seeded crispbreads and small glass red wine, followed by sf jelly and yoghurt and then an obligatory tasting of two small squares ( think about 0.7 g carb) of the orange montezumas with my decaf evening coffee with cream - wow just wow it’s amazing very rich but more importantly for me it was enough to hit the spot think it should be possible not to overeat it! Managed to leave tin of nuts in cupboard today but swimming before working tomorrow may be harder challenge!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch out in Charlestown which is a very pretty harbour near us. Cod loin wrapped in bacon with wilted spinach. Fizzy water to drink. It didn’t fill me up at all even though it was a lovely fresh bit of fish. I can only assume it was the lack of fat. When we got home I went a bit mad - brazil nuts, Greek yoghurt, almond butter and CWC. Finally felt a bit better. Lots of tea with almond milk ( sorry, TWAM)
Dinner belly pork, didn’t have much in the way of veg in the house so did Mr C roast spuds and fried a courgette in the pork fat for me. Only ate about 4 mouthfuls - the mid afternoon snacking had caught up with me and I wasn’t ( and still not) hungry.
Was a bit squeamish when preparing belly pork to find 2 nipples on it - told Mr C who just shrugged and said ‘what do you expect?’ But then he grew up eating home made ‘pig’s face’ sandwiches, complete with bristles and recognisable eyelids so not much puts him off.
Tell me honestly would this sight bother you? ( have to say after cooking, when crackling was all bubbled up and crispy, you couldn’t tell where they were)
View attachment 32287
Hug for the look of the pork belly I’m not sure how I’d have felt - silly I know as love meat but never keen on sight of raw meat much at all!

Reactions: DJC3

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 32287
It wouldn't bother me tbh, but I'm not particularly squeamish.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 32287
What was your problem girl - surely this WOE is all about eating real food?:angelic:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
F0EE380E-CB35-42E8-99E7-BE130E8B01C4.jpeg Eye treatment day for Mr B yesterday, so didn't get around to posting. Thankfully it went much better this month than last month. They've switched to using chlorohexidine instead of iodine, which they've worked out he's become sensitive to. The result was less discomfort during and after the procedure. His vision also bounced back much quicker. Consultant was happy with his progress and wants to see him again in 5 weeks rather than the usual 4. Let's hope this is the start of them stepping down the treatment frequency.

Anyway, a day of treats for us today. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

B. Coffee with cream
L: All day breakfast (without carbs and additional halloumi for Mr B) and coffee with cream.
D: Dessert for dinner! Keto coconut waffles, LC syrup, strawberries and clotted cream. Decaf coffee.

Edit to add photo of delicious waffles. :hungry:

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
View attachment 32287

Nope - ewww - I don't think I could have coped with that - AND I used to grow, despatch, pluck and gut my own meat poultry but theres just some things I'm squeamish about.... and nipples on my potential dinner is one of them.

@Dr Snoddy - thank you very much for the eggs recipe. It was quick and delicious and I will definitely make it again.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
O/T forgot to ask. Anyone else tried/seen Morrisons LC Ice Cream? Julie really liked the Cookie Dough one and we now have the salted caramel. Half the price of Halo Top and lower carb 7.7gms carb per 100 mls - no idea how ingredients compare. They also make chocolate chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BibaBee I’m so glad Mr Bs appointment was better than last time. What a relief for you both. Great news also about the longer interval.

Reactions: maglil55

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Scrambled egg, Euro style sausage and bacon, sliced cheese and ham. Plain yoghourt (print too small to read carb content). Tea

Lunch : Beef stew. Came with potato’s that I had to leave. Water.

Dinner : 200 ml full fat milk and some nuts. One small apple.

1 x chocolate gelato.

Noticed at the buffet breakfast that they had almond milk available.

13A8D453-076A-4F45-8CA0-15578A719514.jpeg

Trevi Fountain was very impressive.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee I’m so glad Mr Bs appointment was better than last time. What a relief for you both. Great news also about the longer interval.
Yes, it's only an extra week, but we'll take it. It is a great relief that things seem to be heading in the right direction. I just told Mr B about @Chook's post about Mr C's colleague. Given the choice, Mr B would choose better BG control and saving his eyesight over bread any day if the week. A definite no-brainer for him! And this is someone who is married to a keen baker who used to bake her own sourdough bread every week!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3