What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Just finished doing our online grocery shopping, a bit of a glitch in the shopping cart where it said that about half of what we wanted was unavailable in our area.

It took a couple of goes to clear the cart out and start again, then I forgot to put a order in for our free sample tub of "siggi's yoghurt" after I clicked the pay button. It's got a ship load of carbs in tho', but my partner can eat it no worries.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished doing our online grocery shopping, a bit of a glitch in the shopping cart where it said that about half of what we wanted was unavailable in our area.

It took a couple of goes to clear the cart out and start again, then I forgot to put a order in for our free sample tub of "siggi's yoghurt" after I clicked the pay button. It's got a ship load of carbs in tho', but my partner can eat it no worries.
I got a 23p discount today and a free bottle of champagne on my fifth order (only made 2 so far).

D

Deleted member 308541

I got a 23p discount today and a free bottle of champagne on my fifth order (only made 2 so far).
As it is easter, they had a 10 x reward points for spending over $150.00 in one go, got 1600 points on this shop. Plus one item a Glade scented candle was listed as a secret shop item and was worth another 500 point on it's own.

So have received over 2000 points = $10.00 for xmas today.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 32368 Missed this thread a couple of days, busy few days with both kids (young adults) home.
Anyway today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch skipped, unusually for me but my daughter, still home needed my taxiing skills. So visited Nero’s while out for a coconut cappuccino and raspberry phd bar I had in my bag for such occasions.
Mid afternoon: 4 x coconut bites and black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
No monkey business. :D

Reactions: zauberflote

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Cheese and tomato sandwiches, greek yoghurt with fresh passion fruit pulp mixed in.
Dinner: Mutton chops and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.
That passion fruit pulp sounds good.

Cumbria27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rachox

Love the idea of coconut “porridge”
Can you tell me how to make it please.
Also where can I buy the coconut bites and the raspberry bar you detailed.

My food today
Breakfast FF Greek yoghurt, sliced kiwi ,strawberry and cashew nuts

Lunch Yorkshire provider Tomato soup plus cold roast pork 1 small apple

Dinner Cod and prawns in spicy tomato sauce with wilted spinach

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Felt a pang last night as I took a big step in de-carbing my kitchen and threw out my box of mixed instant ramens. They’ve been a staple of my diet for ages as they’re so cheap, something I’m definitely going to have to look is ways to do this diet low cost but not low flavour. Meat, fresh veggies and dairy/cheese are so much more expensive than packaged carbs. FUNNY, THAT. ;)

Anyway yesterday was going to be a fast day and no extra exercise (my lazy day of the week) but I ended up having to help move a lot of stuff in storage at work all afternoon so last night I had 200g sliced chorizo sautéed with about 170g spinach and kale.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox

Love the idea of coconut “porridge”
Can you tell me how to make it please.
Also where can I buy the coconut bites and the raspberry bar you detailed.

My food today
Breakfast FF Greek yoghurt, sliced kiwi ,strawberry and cashew nuts

Lunch Yorkshire provider Tomato soup plus cold roast pork 1 small apple

Dinner Cod and prawns in spicy tomato sauce with wilted spinach
Here’s the recipe for keto coconut porridge:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
The coconut bites I get from Tesco:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301281465
And the raspberry phd bars I get from Amazon (though Tesco sell other flavours):
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/PhD-Smar...berry+phd+bar&qid=1555453168&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Tipetoo I get the plain Siggi's and only eat a little at once. Try to keep it down to one carb...not always successful!
Bfast usual avocado this time salvaging good parts from a squishy brown one, egg, DWSAC. And before starting decaf, the remaining mouthful of chocolate gelato. (It didn't make much. I am pretty sure I reduced the cream too far but boy was it good!)
To a beautiful Stations of the Cross walk with Mom.
Lunch outside in car, listening to raucous starlings and watching pre-schoolers run through parking lot with moms. I had the DWSAC that I never actually drank earlier. Mom half a swiss cheese on spelt and a mandarin.
Grocery shopping. Was two days early for the lamb at butcher's, dang, another special trip. The shop is brand new, or new to that location, which used to be a picture framing shop only 6 months ago. Stopped first at "local natural organic" grocery where this time I found.... Double Cream! And halloumi!!!
Home just in time for Barre class.
First supper amazingly modest mini-spoons of almond butter/skyr. And plenty of jellied broth yummy.
Second supper was starving but couldn't figure out for what. Kept trying this and that. Celery yes, bite of cottage cheese no, innards of 1-carb chicken sausage yes, small raw spinach No, small wilted spinach so-so. Bite of Vermont Creamery chèvre, meh... Time to quit.
What I really did want was, a juicy apple from the fruit drawer, and a flax muffin. But can't have that apple, and hadn't made muffins. Tomorrow! The flax is much appreciated by the gut.
Sleep well, wake energized all!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote congrats on the mini-spoons of almond butter/ skyr - amazing self control there, and glad you managed to step away from that ladle!
Great that you found halloumi and double cream. The last time I picked up halloumi, I accidentally got low fat. It wasn’t nice, I do wonder why people bother with it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote congrats on the mini-spoons of almond butter/ skyr - amazing self control there, and glad you managed to step away from that ladle!
Great that you found halloumi and double cream. The last time I picked up halloumi, I accidentally got low fat. It wasn’t nice, I do wonder why people bother with it.
The halloumi. It gives a tad of variety, though I only bought it for the first time recently. It wasn’t too bad fried though a bit rubbery. I haven’t tried it with cream yet.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Cheese omelette, black tea, black coffee.
L. M&S tapas portion of tuna, beans and red onion with cucumber, radish and baby plum tomatoes.
2 hour walk.
Snack. Quinoa scone in cafe
D. Made the leek, spinach and feta showstopper recipe from the Saturday Daily Mail supplement. Delicious and had 2 portions. Small pear.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The halloumi. It gives a tad of variety, though I only bought it for the first time recently. It wasn’t too bad fried though a bit rubbery. I haven’t tried it with cream yet.

Ooh not sure I’d fancy it with cream. It’s good wrapped in bacon and fried, grilled or baked though.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt a pang last night as I took a big step in de-carbing my kitchen and threw out my box of mixed instant ramens. They’ve been a staple of my diet for ages as they’re so cheap, something I’m definitely going to have to look is ways to do this diet low cost but not low flavour. Meat, fresh veggies and dairy/cheese are so much more expensive than packaged carbs. FUNNY, THAT. ;)

Anyway yesterday was going to be a fast day and no extra exercise (my lazy day of the week) but I ended up having to help move a lot of stuff in storage at work all afternoon so last night I had 200g sliced chorizo sautéed with about 170g spinach and kale.

Isn't it funny how we differ? The reason I say that is, having given up things like rice, potatoes, noodles etc., I now feel I have free rein to eat more of the flavoursome stuff.

I only really ever viewed the carbs as carriers for the main events of the meal.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lovely weather!! Just in time for the Easter weekend. I've just been told that Mr C has to work Iii over the weekend but he's off on Good Friday. Great.

Today's food

Breakfast: a @Tipetoo inspired ham and cheese omelette (VERY filling
Lunch: 30g mixed nuts - almonds walnuts pecans Brazil's
Dinner: other half of yesterday's chicken, leek, celeriac and swede slow cooker casserole (very nice although it did over cook a bit)
Drinks: usual black decaff coffee and still spring water

I've received my kefir grains and Mr C got me some organic full cream milk on his way home last night so I've started off my first batch this morning. :)

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@DCUKMod I like strong salty spicy flavours and instant ramen hit the spot for me, and they’re so cheap even after you buff the bowl up with fresh produce additions. I know it’s possible to eat well on lower carb higher fat, but one of my concerns will be doing it on a budget that’s sustainable for me, without relying too much on highly processed food. I’m only in my second week since diagnosis day, I’ve got a lot to learn. The Easter weekend is going to be very rough especially as I’m not telling anyone about my diagnosis yet, I know I won’t be able to deal with the stigma, shaming, questions and food policing on top of everything else. :)

I’m known for being a cook and being a food nerd, and I KNOW there are people in my life who simply won’t be able to reconcile me being diabetic with me being able to still cook and eat delicious food. Thank god keto is still trending because at least people some people get that, and it will be a good cover of I need one.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 oh dear, I didn't even think to look for fat content. This was the store where they'd told me weeks ago they didn't have halloumi, so I was very excited and just flung it into my arms!
I surprised myself with those mini-spoons. I was hungry but not hungry. It felt very strange.
Oh sorry @Chook that you don't get to enjoy the whole weekend with Mr C. However, my career was composed of working every weekend 37 weeks of the year, and weeknights and weekdays too. I know we simply treated it as normal. The kids never knew anything else.
Have fasting labs at dr tomorrow morn. I have a feeling the DP will be showing off for him and I'll have some unholy high number. Will test myself right there in lab! Also actual as soon as I get up.
No cooking today. Squeeze as much admin work into as little time as possible before going off to work tonight. We have gorgeous weather, high around 80F/26.6C, so I can work on the sunporch with all four doors slid open and drink iced reconstituted broth jelly (yuk?). And seltzer!

Viv19

@Tipetoo I get the plain Siggi's and only eat a little at once. Try to keep it down to one carb...not always successful!
Bfast usual avocado this time salvaging good parts from a squishy brown one, egg, DWSAC. And before starting decaf, the remaining mouthful of chocolate gelato. (It didn't make much. I am pretty sure I reduced the cream too far but boy was it good!)
To a beautiful Stations of the Cross walk with Mom.
Lunch outside in car, listening to raucous starlings and watching pre-schoolers run through parking lot with moms. I had the DWSAC that I never actually drank earlier. Mom half a swiss cheese on spelt and a mandarin.
Grocery shopping. Was two days early for the lamb at butcher's, dang, another special trip. The shop is brand new, or new to that location, which used to be a picture framing shop only 6 months ago. Stopped first at "local natural organic" grocery where this time I found.... Double Cream! And halloumi!!!
Home just in time for Barre class.
First supper amazingly modest mini-spoons of almond butter/skyr. And plenty of jellied broth yummy.
Second supper was starving but couldn't figure out for what. Kept trying this and that. Celery yes, bite of cottage cheese no, innards of 1-carb chicken sausage yes, small raw spinach No, small wilted spinach so-so. Bite of Vermont Creamery chèvre, meh... Time to quit.
What I really did want was, a juicy apple from the fruit drawer, and a flax muffin. But can't have that apple, and hadn't made muffins. Tomorrow! The flax is much appreciated by the gut.
Sleep well, wake energized all!

@zauberflote Flax muffins?!! Are they good? Do you have a recipe? I need something more than all this veg. I’m going to grow roots and leaves soon I think.
I FOUND bread at the local supermarket. Lovely to have but I still think I could make better so I’m on a mission to find a good recipe that doesn’t taste too eggy or sad.