What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Busy busy busy day today so I'm posting early

Breakfast: Egg mayo on crispbreads
Lunch: glass of kefir
Dinner: slow cooked brisket cooked in a drop of red wine, herbs and a leftover field mushroom, one of those huge ones, broken in to pieces. I'm cooking it in some of the juices and on the bones from yesterday's ribs @Goonergal style (@Goonergal have you ever had a cooking method named after you before?)
Dessert: blackberries and cream
Drinks: BDC, SSW

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been distracted by boys swimming lessons then Line of Duty, time to catch up on yesterday.
Bed 6.9 FBG 7.1 but the DP surge is still relentless.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing - at swimming with boys. No 1 is now starting to learn butterfly which was suitably tiring!
D. Cooked the rack of venison I'd dug out of the freezer with a red wine jus. Once I was back from swimming I put together a celeriac dauphinoise and also a potato dauphinoise (not for me) and steamed some fresh asparagus.
I didnt have the Grahams Goodness on Saturday so had it after dinner yesterday with some raspberries just in time for Line of Duty.
Usual campari and soda.
Can't remember if I said or not but with relatives arriving from Australia in about 6 weeks boys were discussing spiders and snakes. The little one informed everyone that it was a bad idea to put a mummy and daddy spider in the same box as they'd get married then the mummy would eat the daddy. Cue giggles until No 1 declared "imagine if Daddy was a spider, Mum would have eaten him by now" - more giggles.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Your talk of yummy ribs means I got some frozen beef rib out to defrst. :D I don’t know whether it is the ghost chilli one, or the bar-b-que one. It’ll be an adventure!

No B
L was prawns in brinjal cream.
D will be the rib.

But before that, I feel a profiterole moment coming on...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Another OMAD day. Very hungry after walking 31k steps! Just had dinner of @dunelm s carnivore pizza. Managed to get it crispy by using the ‘holey’ pizza tray balanced on a roasting dish (so it would fit into the oven), in turn sitting on a baking tray. Toppings were pepperoni and Polish zywiecka sausage. Could easily have eaten more so had a couple of small pieces of emmental with butter (first time trying buttered cheese). Success of pizza tray means I’ll buy the smaller quiche tray in the same range to avoid the pallava getting into and out of the oven.

AC944128-CCE2-4645-A0CC-FFF00CA1E0FD.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Goonergal I love the thought of a recipe being named after you a la Cordon Bleu. What was on the pizza that took your sister’s name?
Ate too much today for the minimal amount of exercise I’ve done - sprained my ankle yesterday so today has been spent sitting with foot raised and wrapped in a bag of frozen spinach. Not what we had planned.
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and 1/2 avocado. Daughter & Granddaughters staying over and they love this breakfast too.
L: Tuna melt muffin and salad.
D: Bacon collar joint cooked in IP with cauliflower cheese. Glass of red. Followed by sf jelly and cream with some 100% choc grated on top.
@maglil55 Was your venison roasted? It sounds fabulous. I love celeriac dauphinoise too.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Goonergal I love the thought of a recipe being named after you a la Cordon Bleu. What was on the pizza that took your sister’s name?
Ate too much today for the minimal amount of exercise I’ve done - sprained my ankle yesterday so today has been spent sitting with foot raised and wrapped in a bag of frozen spinach. Not what we had planned.
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and 1/2 avocado. Daughter & Granddaughters staying over and they love this breakfast too.
D: Bacon collar joint cooked in IP with cauliflower cheese. Glass of red. Followed by sf jelly and cream with some 100% choc grated on top.
@maglil55 Was your venison roasted? It sounds fabulous. I love celeriac dauphinoise too.
Hug for ankle but your food sounds delicious take care hope ankle improves soon

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch one chicken drumstick and two chicken wings with a handful of almonds
Dinner omelette with mushroom, chicken and cheese with green salad followed by small spoon of oppo choc ice cream served with double cream. Decaf coffee in a bit may also indulge with a few squares of 100% choc.
Planning to get back to gym and pool first thing in the morning. I’ve had a break and suspended membership for three weeks as was away from home a fair bit - at least with this option we don’t lose out financially! I’ll do same when take mum away in June.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was on the pizza that took your sister’s name?

It was more what wasn’t on it - no tomato. Suspect mushrooms were involved. I will find out!

Hope your ankle gets less painful.

Edit. @DJC3 it was “cream, garlic, cheese and some sort of meat”!

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I’ve eaten today:
Chocolate
Scrambled eggs with cheese
A lump of cheese
Coffee with cream x 3
A slice bacon
Fruit jelly & flaxseeds & other seeds & cream
Meat in gravy & veggies

Apart from my fbg which was 9.8 first thing, my bg readings midday were 7.1 and 7.2 for 18:43 pm

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast butter and lots tea.
Lunch: prawn cocktail
Supper: OH currently bbqing lamb burgers to go with mixed salad and buns for those who can. Having a sneaky G&ST while I wait for my supper.
@DJC3 hug for the ankle pain, how annoying, lots of ice and rest.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my meals aren't as exciting as some I have read about. I am just learning both low carb and cooking from scratch. I have years of practice with either take away food or can / packet / ready meal cooking. It has been quite a steep learning curve over the past 6 weeks or so. Thank you to all who post on here for the ideas that have inspired me to try food I have never had before which I have found I really enjoy - asparagus and avacado.
Today's offerings were:
B - Coffee with cream
L- Ham cheese and egg salad
D- Chicken Foo Young with creamy satay sauce.
Please keep up the inspiration for a novice cook.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been out of it for a couple of days as we have been on our annual family weekend raising funds for Cystic Fibrosis. Only 35 of us this year but we had a great time of it walking on the Northumberland coast - next year we are back in Snowdonia - Pig trail perhaps.
Today;
Brunch- an omelette with mushrooms, tomato, broccoli and Lancashire cheese - blitzed under the grill of course and some anchovie sauce glugged over.
Dinner - a tin of veg roasted in the oven (red pepper, celeriac, fennel, carrot, courgette, garlic, tomatoes, chillies - that sort of stuff). I had two Heck sausages and Mrs Miggins had some garlic bread.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agent yokel here on the line from the land that time forgot. Ignoring the Wait for it rose latte and no cream cocoa an OMAD day. Lots of TWAM then no cream cocoa + aforementioned latte. Hungry boy by 18.00 hrs but Julie not right so went for the use up things option. A little cucumber, some essential leaf salad, last of the bacon, mushroom and cheese quiche, 3 hard boiled eggs and h/m mayo. Then had s/f raspberry jelly made earlier, Fage 5% Gk yog and h/m chocolate granola. Weirdly, I quite liked the granola. It has coconut and 100% callebaut plus I hated granola pre LC.
All edible and functional. Nandos mild marinade on chicken last night seems to have done for Julie but at least not during the night. @DJC3 hugs for the ankle. I might have a session on the exercise bike watching football later.
@Bildad good to see you here and eat what you like but sounds as though your repertoire is expanding. @dunelm what an an amazing thing for you and your family to do. If it is not too nosey, is this something close to family hearts?

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 how the ankle recovers soon. My legs were very tight so I blasted them with the Revitive a couple of times as Aqua Fit was cancelled. Not something for a sprain though. The venison-I sealed it in a pan first then transferred to the oven for about 25 mins, removed, tented it with foil , then rested it for another 20 mins. It was quite a big rack and it needed it.
Quieter day today although I got roped into a trip to Costco.
B. TAG with ADOC and 1 rollito
L. 2 scrambled eggs with a little smoked salmon.
D. Nando rubbed ribs with the remains of the celeriac dauphinoise and sour cream/chive dip. 2 bits Morrisons 85% dark chocolate.
Back to school tomorrow. Here's hoping good behaviour continues.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my meals aren't as exciting as some I have read about. I am just learning both low carb and cooking from scratch. I have years of practice with either take away food or can / packet / ready meal cooking. It has been quite a steep learning curve over the past 6 weeks or so. Thank you to all who post on here for the ideas that have inspired me to try food I have never had before which I have found I really enjoy - asparagus and avacado.
Today's offerings were:
B - Coffee with cream
L- Ham cheese and egg salad
D- Chicken Foo Young with creamy satay sauce.
Please keep up the inspiration for a novice cook.

You’ve certainly come to the right place. I’ve always enjoyed cooking form scratch - but completely different sort of food to what I eat now ( a lot of cakes and baking tbh) but I’ve had a lot of inspiration and ideas from this thread.
Beware of @maglil55 @DCUKMod who will have your kitchen full of all sorts of amazing gadgets before you can blink lol!

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ve certainly come to the right place. I’ve always enjoyed cooking form scratch - but completely different sort of food to what I eat now ( a lot of cakes and baking tbh) but I’ve had a lot of inspiration and ideas from this thread.
Beware of @maglil55 @DCUKMod who will have your kitchen full of all sorts of amazing gadgets before you can blink lol!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast butter and lots tea.
Lunch: prawn cocktail
Supper: OH currently bbqing lamb burgers to go with mixed salad and buns for those who can. Having a sneaky G&ST while I wait for my supper.
@DJC3 hug for the ankle pain, how annoying, lots of ice and rest.

Ooh lucky you if weather is nice enough for bbq - its quite chilly and overcast here. Mind you we have, in the past sent Mr C out in the rain to bbq food while we all stay indoors!